Where do I find a list of repositories? - Setup

This is a discussion on Where do I find a list of repositories? - Setup ; Where can I find a list of repositories? There's one in my distro (Debian Etch 4 something) at York U in Canada and it isn't working. There's no such....

  1. Where do I find a list of repositories?

    Where can I find a list of repositories? There's one in my distro (Debian
    Etch 4 something) at York U in Canada and it isn't working. There's no such.

  2. Re: Where do I find a list of repositories?

    On Sat, 10 May 2008, Steve Turner wrote:

    > Where can I find a list of repositories? There's one in my distro (Debian
    > Etch 4 something) at York U in Canada and it isn't working. There's no such.

    Have you gone to the obvious, www.debian.org (I guessed, but that's the
    one) and looked at the link about downloading it? You have to go through
    a few links, but eventually you find the list of mirrors. One is bound
    to work, and the thing is to find one underused rather than necessarily
    closest to you. So if you're downloading in the middle of the night,
    find one in a timezone where it's the middle of the night, so fewer
    people will be accessing it. On the other hand, if you download in
    the daytime, you'd want to find one that is located where it's the middle
    of the night, again under the assumption that it will be less used in
    the middle of the night. That may not apply, since there may be
    others using that server for the same reason.

    Note there may be limits on how many users can download at a given
    time, so a server that "isn't working" may simply be in use by
    enough people that it won't accept more users at that time.

    And before that debian site gets to the list of mirrors, they warn
    you of other methods that may be better, and certainly will put
    less of a load on the servers.

    Of course, that's assuming you are talking about debian, which isn't
    completely certain from your message. But it applies to any distribution,
    go to their webpage (and if you don't know it, do a websearch) and
    virtually all of them will tell you how you can get the distribution.

    Michael

  3. Re: Where do I find a list of repositories?

    Steve Turner :
    > Where can I find a list of repositories? There's one in my distro (Debian
    > Etch 4 something) at York U in Canada and it isn't working. There's no such.

    I like rafal.ca. /etc/apt/sources.list (for stable/etch):

    deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

  4. Re: Where do I find a list of repositories?

    Thank you!

    "s. keeling" wrote in message
    news:slrng2a5d6.2u0.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > Steve Turner :
    >> Where can I find a list of repositories? There's one in my distro
    >> (Debian
    >> Etch 4 something) at York U in Canada and it isn't working. There's no
    >> such.

    > I like rafal.ca. /etc/apt/sources.list (for stable/etch):
    >
    > deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
    >
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    >
    > deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    >

    > --
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > (*) http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html Linux Counter #80292
    > - - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.

+ Reply to Thread