ACPI problem - Setup

This is a discussion on ACPI problem - Setup ; Hi. I've just installed Debian LINUX, and yes, I can enter my loging name and password. But I can't go beyond a message that says: "ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [dbbb4dec] 'on' " every 6 seconds to infinite. Could ...

  1. ACPI problem

    Hi.
    I've just installed Debian LINUX, and yes, I can enter my loging name
    and password. But I can't go beyond a message that says:

    "ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [dbbb4dec] 'on' "

    every 6 seconds to infinite.

    Could sombody help me please?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: ACPI problem

    AnimasTrujano4@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've just installed Debian LINUX, and yes, I can enter my loging name
    > and password. But I can't go beyond a message that says:
    >
    > "ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [dbbb4dec] 'on' "
    >
    > every 6 seconds to infinite.
    >
    > Could sombody help me please?

    This is just a guess, since I've never seen that problem before.

    Try booting without acpi support.
    If you boot with grub, try hitting "a" then adding "noacpi" (without
    quotes) to the kernel parameters.
    Once booted, add the "noacpi" to grub.conf/menu.lst (so you don't have
    to keep entering it at the boot prompt).

    DBBs are data structures used by acpi to know about the hardware.
    Either your kernel is mistaken about your hardware or you really have a
    cooling device error. Any chance you have a fried fan or something
    (also a guess)?

    HTH

  3. Re: ACPI problem

    AnimasTrujano4@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've just installed Debian LINUX, and yes, I can enter my loging name
    > and password. But I can't go beyond a message that says:
    >
    > "ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [dbbb4dec] 'on' "
    >
    > every 6 seconds to infinite.
    >
    > Could sombody help me please?

    Never heard of such a problem. Is the fan running? If so then the message is an
    error. And as you say to infinite, running or not the computer is not dead so
    maybe it doesn't need to be on. But these days there should be some fan activity
    at least at boot time so maybe it is faulty or maybe the "I am on" circuit is
    faulty.

    Turn on showing the boot details and enter an interactive boot and don't turn
    on ACPI and see what happens. Whatever the hell ACPI is of course.

    If infinite has been an hour I wouldn't worry about it much. Touch the CPU. If
    you can it is not too hot.

    --
    Collective punishment, n., criminal, see Israel
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3980

+ Reply to Thread