Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive - Setup

This is a discussion on Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive - Setup ; Hello all, I have been searching for an answer to this question off and on for about a month. I have a dual boot system set up with Vista and Ubuntu. Everything is working great, relearning linux after getting away ...

  1. Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive

    Hello all,

    I have been searching for an answer to this question off and on for
    about a month. I have a dual boot system set up with Vista and
    Ubuntu. Everything is working great, relearning linux after getting
    away from it for a few years. Anyway, on my old computer that I had
    set up a few years ago to dual boot (XP and RedHat) I was able to set
    it up so it would only boot into linux if I put in a floppy.

    I now have Grub set up with Vista first so when my son starts up the
    computer, he can go into Vista and use his account. The problem is
    when I'm using linux, if I restart the computer and get distracted, I
    have to wait for Vista to load before I can restart again and load
    linux.

    I have found that I can boot and run Ubuntu from a flash drive, but
    I'm not finding anything on JUST booting from the flash and using the
    copy of linux on the hard drive. I can also boot from the CD, but
    again run into the problem of not being able to use the copy I
    installed and customized on the hard drive.

    I have over 500GB between the two hard drives on my system and I
    really don't want to buy a 2GB flash drive to run linux. Is it even
    possible to set it up to only boot linux when the flash drive is in?
    I would really appreciate any advice or help I could get with this. I
    have done multiple google searches and I just can't seem to find what
    I'm looking for.

  2. Re: Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive

    I forgot to add that I have no floppy on my current system. Dell
    Inspiron 530s with DVDRW and USB. I do have BIOS set to boot from USB
    and have tested it and it works.

    Once again thanks in advance for any help/tips.

    Stephanie

+ Reply to Thread