GRUB or LILO on NTFS? - Setup

This is a discussion on GRUB or LILO on NTFS? - Setup ; Hello, I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy ...

  1. GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

    Hello,

    I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
    install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
    partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
    install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
    grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
    by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.

    I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
    to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
    0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.

    Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
    NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?

    Thanks in advance.

    (Hardware is Dell Inspiron 9300, WD 250GB 2.5" hard drive as /dev/
    sda. CD-ROM + USB. No floppy.)

    - Kert

  2. Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

    Kertis Henderson wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
    > install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
    > partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
    > install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
    > grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
    > by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.
    >
    > I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
    > to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
    > 0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
    > NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > (Hardware is Dell Inspiron 9300, WD 250GB 2.5" hard drive as /dev/
    > sda. CD-ROM + USB. No floppy.)

    I'm not certain why you want a Linux loader for only Windows, but ...
    I'm not aware of NTFS support for grub.conf, so that leaves LILO.
    Unless there's a live CD that includes LILO support, your best bet is
    probably installing LILO from a bootable USB drive with Linux.
    So now you need to make a bootable USB drive and put LILO on it, first.
    (I'm assuming your laptop can boot to a USB drive.)
    That seems like a lot of work not to use the NT loader on a machine that
    only has Windows.

  3. Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Kertis Henderson wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
    >> install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
    >> partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
    >> install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
    >> grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
    >> by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.
    >>
    >> I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
    >> to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
    >> 0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
    >> NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> (Hardware is Dell Inspiron 9300, WD 250GB 2.5" hard drive as /dev/
    >> sda. CD-ROM + USB. No floppy.)

    > I'm not certain why you want a Linux loader for only Windows, but ...
    > I'm not aware of NTFS support for grub.conf, so that leaves LILO.
    > Unless there's a live CD that includes LILO support, your best bet is
    > probably installing LILO from a bootable USB drive with Linux.
    > So now you need to make a bootable USB drive and put LILO on it, first.
    > (I'm assuming your laptop can boot to a USB drive.)
    > That seems like a lot of work not to use the NT loader on a machine that
    > only has Windows.

    I have managed the dual system (Linux and WindowsXp) on the Laptop. What
    you need is rescue CD that allows to shrink the NTFS partition from
    Windows. Then create new partions for Linux and move from there to load
    Linux. At this time you may use LILO or GRUB.

    pravin

  4. Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

    On Apr 24, 7:13 pm, Kertis Henderson
    wrote:
    > I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
    > install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
    > partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
    > install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
    > grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
    > by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.
    >
    > I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
    > to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
    > 0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
    > NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?

    Okay, let's see if this gives you some ideas - it's from my laptop:
    $ uptime
    18:00:37 up 115 days, 6:52, 24 users, load average: 0.20, 0.14,
    0.10
    $ sudo sfdisk -uS -l /dev/hda

    Disk /dev/hda: 4764 cylinders, 240 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

    Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
    /dev/hda1 63 619919 619857 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 * 619920 25477199 24857280 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda3 25477200 25749359 272160 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda4 25749360 72031679 46282320 85 Linux extended
    /dev/hda5 25764480 26369278 604799 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 26369280 30563567 4194288 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda7 30572640 33521038 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda8 33521040 36469438 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda9 36469440 39417838 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda10 39417840 42366238 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda11 42366240 45314638 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda12 45314640 48263038 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda13 48263040 51211438 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda14 51211440 54159838 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda15 54159840 57108238 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda16 57108240 60056638 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda17 60056640 63005038 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda18 63005040 65953438 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda19 65953440 68901838 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    /dev/hda20 68901840 71850238 2948399 8e Linux LVM
    $ mount | fgrep hda2
    /dev/hda2 on /home/m/michael/tmp/mnt/hda2 type ntfs
    (ro,umask=077,uid=1003,gid=1
    00,iocharset=utf8)
    $ cat /home/m/michael/tmp/mnt/hda2/BOOT.INI; echo
    [boot loader]
    timeout=300
    default=C:\BOOT\grub.boot_sector
    [operating systems]
    C:\BOOT\grub.boot_sector="GRUB"
    C:\BOOT\lilo.boot_sector="LILO"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional"
    /fastdetect
    $ sed -ne '3,4p;28,31p' /etc/lilo.conf
    boot=/boot/lilo.boot_sector
    root=/dev/hda5
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="GRUB"
    other=/dev/hda2
    label="NT_boot_loader"
    $ sed -ne '25,30p' /boot/grub/menu.lst
    title LILO
    chainloader (hd0,0)/boot/lilo.boot_sector

    title NT boot loader
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1 (hd0,1)
    $ ls -l /boot/boot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Jul 19 2003 /boot/boot -> .
    $

    Some additional hints:
    The NT booloader generally perfers to boot "foreign" operating systems
    by loading a boot sector from a file on an NTFS filesystem.
    In the configuration I've illustrated, when one needs to update the
    GRUB (rarely) or LILO (every time
    it's reconfigured) boot blocks, those need to also be copied onto the
    NTFS filesystem where the
    NT boot loader has been configured to use them.

  5. Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

    "Kertis Henderson" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
    > install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
    > partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
    > install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
    > grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
    > by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.
    >
    > I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
    > to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
    > 0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
    > NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > (Hardware is Dell Inspiron 9300, WD 250GB 2.5" hard drive as /dev/
    > sda. CD-ROM + USB. No floppy.)
    >
    > - Kert

    First off, though I know of no way to install grub or lilo on an NTFS
    partition...
    that's *not* where you'd want it to reside.

    If you really want to use such a boot loader...you'll need to install it on
    your MBR

    I never tried it as I'd see no possible use for doing so...
    but you could probably boot from a Linux live cd such as Damn Small Linux
    and install lilo or grub from there.

    If you end up trashing your mbr in the process you can
    use the fixmbr command from the repair console

+ Reply to Thread