Install Win XP over Linux - Setup

This is a discussion on Install Win XP over Linux - Setup ; I have run Linux for more than a decade, and often Windows 2000 as a secondary system. Now I have a new bigger primary disk, and installed Slackware 12 on /dev/hda2 without trouble. I have also installed Debian once on ...

  1. Install Win XP over Linux

    I have run Linux for more than a decade, and often Windows 2000 as a
    secondary system. Now I have a new bigger primary disk, and installed
    Slackware 12 on /dev/hda2 without trouble. I have also installed
    Debian once on /dev/hda1,

    Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    When I go through the install process I get to the point where XP
    needs to be booted again. If I leave the install disk in the cd/dvd
    drive I start all over again with the installation. If I remove it
    and reboot I get a boot error on the absent CD.

    I have made /dev/hda2 bootable and Lilo works from that partition.

    Once upon a time I installed Lilo on the MBR. But since then I have
    run (from a MSDOS floppy) fdisk /mbr.

    I have another very old Compaq which runs Win 98 and also has Slack
    embedded in it.
    But it is too limited in memory to run XP or even Win 2000.

    Any suggestions?

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I have run Linux for more than a decade, and often Windows 2000 as a
    > secondary system. Now I have a new bigger primary disk, and installed
    > Slackware 12 on /dev/hda2 without trouble. I have also installed
    > Debian once on /dev/hda1,
    >
    > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.
    >
    > When I go through the install process I get to the point where XP
    > needs to be booted again. If I leave the install disk in the cd/dvd
    > drive I start all over again with the installation. If I remove it
    > and reboot I get a boot error on the absent CD.
    >
    > I have made /dev/hda2 bootable and Lilo works from that partition.
    >
    > Once upon a time I installed Lilo on the MBR. But since then I have
    > run (from a MSDOS floppy) fdisk /mbr.
    >
    > I have another very old Compaq which runs Win 98 and also has Slack
    > embedded in it.
    > But it is too limited in memory to run XP or even Win 2000.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > John Culleton

    1) Change the boot order before the reboot
    or

    2) Unload the CD before the reboot and then load the CD while the system is
    rebooting from the HD.

    /dan

  3. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.

    - Andrew

  4. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    > > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    > Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.
    >
    > - Andrew

    No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on
    theirs.

    I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit
    goofy. First I went into the bios
    and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 detected a faulty mbr and obligingly
    fixed it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going
    through all the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD
    and went through its routines, including deleting the partition,
    recreating it, formatting it with ntfs and so on.

    This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically
    at boot time. To start my Linux partition
    I initially used the install cdr, then I modified Lilo to write to a
    floppy, formatted a floppy and ran Lilo.
    Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by booting
    either with or without the floppy.

    There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    to be believed?

    Thanks to all who responded.

    John C.

  5. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    On 15 Apr, 21:03, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    > > > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    > > Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.

    > > * * * * - Andrew

    > No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    > audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on
    > theirs.
    >
    > I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit
    > goofy. First I went into the bios
    > and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    > reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 *detected a faulty mbr and obligingly
    > fixed it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going
    > through all the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD
    > and went through its routines, including deleting the partition,
    > recreating it, formatting it with ntfs and so on.
    >
    > This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically
    > at boot time. To start my Linux partition
    > I initially used the install cdr, then I modified Lilo to write to a
    > floppy, formatted a floppy and ran Lilo.
    > Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by booting
    > either with or without the floppy.
    >
    > There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    > boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    > to be believed?
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded.
    >
    > John C.

    These are 5 years out of date. You should very seriously look into
    using grub, not LILO, which is the much newer default boot loader for
    Linux ystems.

  6. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:03:22 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    >> > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    >> Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.
    >>
    >> - Andrew

    > No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    > audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on theirs.
    >
    > I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit goofy.
    > First I went into the bios
    > and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    > reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 detected a faulty mbr and obligingly fixed
    > it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going through all
    > the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD and went through
    > its routines, including deleting the partition, recreating it,
    > formatting it with ntfs and so on.
    >
    > This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically at
    > boot time. To start my Linux partition I initially used the install cdr,
    > then I modified Lilo to write to a floppy, formatted a floppy and ran
    > Lilo. Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by
    > booting either with or without the floppy.
    >
    > There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    > boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough to
    > be believed?
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded.
    >
    > John C.

    Use Grub, it just works

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  7. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    "john@wexfordpress.com" writes:

    >On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    >> > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    >> Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.
    >>
    >> - Andrew

    >No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    >audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on
    >theirs.

    >I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit
    >goofy. First I went into the bios
    >and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    >reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 detected a faulty mbr and obligingly
    >fixed it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going
    >through all the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD
    >and went through its routines, including deleting the partition,
    >recreating it, formatting it with ntfs and so on.

    >This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically
    >at boot time. To start my Linux partition
    >I initially used the install cdr, then I modified Lilo to write to a
    >floppy, formatted a floppy and ran Lilo.
    >Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by booting
    >either with or without the floppy.

    >There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    >boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    >to be believed?

    Yes. You can try them out on your floppy if you are doubtful.

    >Thanks to all who responded.

    >John C.

  8. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:

    >On 15 Apr, 21:03, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    >wrote:

    >> > Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.

    >> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Andrew

    >> No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    >> audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on
    >> theirs.
    >>
    >> I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit
    >> goofy. First I went into the bios
    >> and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    >> reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 =A0detected a faulty mbr and obligingly
    >> fixed it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going
    >> through all the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD
    >> and went through its routines, including deleting the partition,
    >> recreating it, formatting it with ntfs and so on.
    >>
    >> This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically
    >> at boot time. To start my Linux partition
    >> I initially used the install cdr, then I modified Lilo to write to a
    >> floppy, formatted a floppy and ran Lilo.
    >> Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by booting
    >> either with or without the floppy.
    >>
    >> There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    >> boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    >> to be believed?
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who responded.
    >>
    >> John C.

    >These are 5 years out of date. You should very seriously look into
    >using grub, not LILO, which is the much newer default boot loader for
    >Linux ystems.

    lilo is fine.
    It is also "new". grub is a bit more flexible but both work fine.

  9. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:03:22 -0700 (PDT), "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    >There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    >boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    >to be believed?

    Probably, boot the slack install CD, mount your linux boot partition
    to /mnt, edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to add the winxp partition, then run
    'lilo -r /mnt' to give lilo boot control.

    For reference, this is winxp on /dev/hda1 and slackware on /dev/hda3:

    root@black:~# cat /etc/lilo.conf
    #
    boot = /dev/hda
    root = /dev/hda3
    read-only
    compact
    lba32
    prompt
    timeout = 50

    image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.24.4a
    label = 2.6.24.4a

    image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.23.14a
    label = 2.6.23.14a
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = Windoze
    table = /dev/hda
    #
    root@black:~# fdisk -l /dev/hda

    Disk /dev/hda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 1024 8225248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 1025 2048 8225280 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 * 2049 3072 8225280 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 3073 30400 219512160 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)

    Grant.

  10. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I have run Linux for more than a decade, and often Windows 2000 as a
    > secondary system. Now I have a new bigger primary disk, and installed
    > Slackware 12 on /dev/hda2 without trouble. I have also installed
    > Debian once on /dev/hda1,
    >
    > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.
    >
    > When I go through the install process I get to the point where XP
    > needs to be booted again. If I leave the install disk in the cd/dvd
    > drive I start all over again with the installation. If I remove it
    > and reboot I get a boot error on the absent CD.
    >
    > I have made /dev/hda2 bootable and Lilo works from that partition.
    >
    > Once upon a time I installed Lilo on the MBR. But since then I have
    > run (from a MSDOS floppy) fdisk /mbr.
    >
    > I have another very old Compaq which runs Win 98 and also has Slack
    > embedded in it.
    > But it is too limited in memory to run XP or even Win 2000.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    The others look fine. Windows stops lilo and grub from working. I am certain
    this is by design. Back when I had both and always had to reinstall windows
    because it crashed the simplest way with redhat was to reinstall it as an
    upgrade. As there was nothing to upgrade it was quick and it recreated lilo and
    it would work as a dual boot. I have read that simply running grub with no
    options will do the same thing. I have not tried this.

    --
    Despite all the questions about the official version of 9/11 the fact
    remaains the government has no official version of 9/11. That is immensely

  11. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    Matt Giwer writes:

    >john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> I have run Linux for more than a decade, and often Windows 2000 as a
    >> secondary system. Now I have a new bigger primary disk, and installed
    >> Slackware 12 on /dev/hda2 without trouble. I have also installed
    >> Debian once on /dev/hda1,
    >>
    >> Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    >> purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.
    >>
    >> When I go through the install process I get to the point where XP
    >> needs to be booted again. If I leave the install disk in the cd/dvd
    >> drive I start all over again with the installation. If I remove it
    >> and reboot I get a boot error on the absent CD.

    And you are asking about a Windows problem in a Linux group why?
    Windows replaces the Master boot record. There is nothing left of the Linux
    MBR or any linux booting after you install Windows. Thus it is in a Windows
    group you need to ask about this.

    Secondly, including the exact error message you get is helpful

    >> I have made /dev/hda2 bootable and Lilo works from that partition.
    >>
    >> Once upon a time I installed Lilo on the MBR. But since then I have
    >> run (from a MSDOS floppy) fdisk /mbr.

    ??? Were you trying to boot from the floppy when you ran into trouble?

    >> I have another very old Compaq which runs Win 98 and also has Slack
    >> embedded in it.
    >> But it is too limited in memory to run XP or even Win 2000.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > The others look fine. Windows stops lilo and grub from working. I am certain
    >this is by design. Back when I had both and always had to reinstall windows
    >because it crashed the simplest way with redhat was to reinstall it as an
    >upgrade. As there was nothing to upgrade it was quick and it recreated lilo and
    >it would work as a dual boot. I have read that simply running grub with no
    >options will do the same thing. I have not tried this.

  12. Re: Install Win XP over Linux

    wrote:

    >On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:43:00 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> > Now I want to install Win XP (OEM version) on /dev/hda1. It is newly
    >> > purchased and hasn't been installed elswhere.

    >> Starting from scratch, perhaps you'd be better off with Xen or VMWare.
    >>
    >> - Andrew

    >No, I need real Windows XP Home edition to be compatible with my
    >audience. If a procedure works on my partition it should work on
    >theirs.

    XP Home running in Xen or VMWare or VirtualBox or Qemu is real XP
    Home.

    >I managed to solve the windows problem, but my solution was a bit
    >goofy. First I went into the bios
    >and reset the bios settings to "safe". Then I tried installing old
    >reliable Win 2000. Win 2000 detected a faulty mbr and obligingly
    >fixed it when requested. XP lacked this routine. Then after going
    >through all the install steps for Win 2000 I rebooted the Win XP CD
    >and went through its routines, including deleting the partition,
    >recreating it, formatting it with ntfs and so on.
    >
    >This gave me a functioning MS XP partition that starts automatically
    >at boot time. To start my Linux partition
    >I initially used the install cdr, then I modified Lilo to write to a
    >floppy, formatted a floppy and ran Lilo.
    >Now I can toggle between /hda1 (XP) and /hda2 (Slack Linux) by booting
    >either with or without the floppy.
    >
    >There are directions going back some years about creating a true dual
    >boot with lilo and without the floppy usage. Are these current enough
    >to be believed?

    Since the first time I installed Redhat, I have always followed the
    same procedure. Use partition magic to partition and format the
    Windows partitions. Use it to partition but not format the linux
    partitions. Install linux. Install windows. Use a liveCD or a linux
    floppy to boot into linux Mount the linux partitions. add the Windows
    partition to lilo.conf. run lilo.

    The only time I have ever had *any* problems, was when I tried to make
    a SCSI drive a boot drive. Then I had to figure out how to modify irq
    mappings in the boot options.

    I don't particularly use lilo over grub for any reason except: I know
    lilo it has preformed well so i see no reason to change

+ Reply to Thread