Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how? - Setup

This is a discussion on Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how? - Setup ; Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system- config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this. I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and ...

  1. Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.

    I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    described in older CUPS documentation.

    Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

  2. Re: Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    > remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    > config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.
    >
    > I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    > all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    > printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    > described in older CUPS documentation.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    > system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    > how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

    http://localhost:631

    cups provides the most powerful and flexible interface to manage cups.
    system-config-printer is for people who barely know what a printer is.

  3. Re: Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    On 2 Apr, 18:01, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    > > remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    > > config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.

    > > I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    > > all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    > > printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    > > described in older CUPS documentation.

    > > Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    > > system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    > > how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

    > http://localhost:631
    >
    > cups provides the most powerful and flexible interface to manage cups.
    > system-config-printer is for people who barely know what a printer is.

    You, umm, have never read "The Luxury of Ignorance" by Eric Raymond,
    have you? It's about the CUPS interface.

    And notice the guidelines at the bottom, which CUPS still violates
    every single one of.

  4. Re: Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    > remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    > config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.
    >
    > I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    > all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    > printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    > described in older CUPS documentation.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    > system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    > how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

    Try man lpadmin

  5. Re: Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    On 3 Apr, 10:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    > > remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    > > config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.

    > > I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    > > all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    > > printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    > > described in older CUPS documentation.

    > > Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    > > system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    > > how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

    > Try man lpadmin

    Thanks. It also looks like I need to research 'lpinfo'.

    It's a hame the system-config-printer tool doesn't seem to list this,
    although I've not completely explored the long set of available
    settings it supports.

  6. Re: Setting up raw prinit queue on RHEL 5, how?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 3 Apr, 10:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> Older versions of RedHat and RHEL had configuration tools that I
    >>> remember as easily supporting raw print queues. The newer 'system-
    >>> config-printers' tool does not have graceful options for this.
    >>> I'm dealing with an application that prints already-formatted PCL, and
    >>> all the printers around me can actually handle it. But system-config-
    >>> printer doesn't seem to allow me to set it to take 'raw' printers, as
    >>> described in older CUPS documentation.
    >>> Does anyone know how to do this for RHEL 5? I'm happy to set the
    >>> system defaults to a print queue with drivers, but am confused about
    >>> how to do this manually or via the 'system-config-printer' GUI.

    >> Try man lpadmin

    > Thanks. It also looks like I need to research 'lpinfo'.
    >
    > It's a hame the system-config-printer tool doesn't seem to list this,
    > although I've not completely explored the long set of available
    > settings it supports.

    The lp subsystem essenitally take the file you throw ait it, passes it
    through various filters and throws it at the printer.

    If you use raw options, you can bypass all filters.

    Cups is great for the Great Unwashed, who just want to throw formatted
    stuff at any named printer and 'have it work'. But its only a pretty
    face on lpadmin.

    lpstat is useful.

    Ive had a browse through the lpoptions and lpadmin stiff, but cannot
    immediately see how to configure a raw queue.

    it looks like lpadmin without a -m option and using the legacy -i option
    might work.,

+ Reply to Thread