error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible - Setup

This is a discussion on error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible - Setup ; My partition table has gotten damaged. Specifically, the extended partition has an incorrect ending cylinder, which leaves some unused disk space inaccessible. My disk started out with a Vista partition at the beginning and a recovery partition at the end, ...

  1. error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    My partition table has gotten damaged. Specifically, the extended partition
    has an incorrect ending cylinder, which leaves some unused disk space
    inaccessible.

    My disk started out with a Vista partition at the beginning and a recovery
    partition at the end, so as fdisk says, "Partition table entries are not in
    disk order". I have added a Grub boot partition and the extended partition.
    The extended partition contains three Linux partitions, a swap partition,
    and a VFAT partition.

    According to fdisk (and Vista disk management agrees), the extended
    partition ends at cylinder 11278 and the recovery partition begins at
    cylinder 13638. I didn't notice this until I tried to create another
    partition, so I don't know how long this error has been there. There's 19G
    unused on my disk. I already have four primary partitions, and the extended
    partition says it doesn't include the unused area.

    Is there a way to correct the end point on the extended partition in my
    partition table so that this area can be used to create additional
    partitions?

    Thanks,
    Allan

  2. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    "Allan" wrote in message
    > My partition table has gotten damaged. Specifically, the extended

    partition
    > has an incorrect ending cylinder, which leaves some unused disk space
    > inaccessible.
    >
    > My disk started out with a Vista partition at the beginning and a recovery
    > partition at the end, so as fdisk says, "Partition table entries are not

    in
    > disk order". I have added a Grub boot partition and the extended

    partition.
    > The extended partition contains three Linux partitions, a swap partition,
    > and a VFAT partition.
    >
    > According to fdisk (and Vista disk management agrees), the extended
    > partition ends at cylinder 11278 and the recovery partition begins at
    > cylinder 13638. I didn't notice this until I tried to create another
    > partition, so I don't know how long this error has been there. There's

    19G
    > unused on my disk. I already have four primary partitions, and the

    extended
    > partition says it doesn't include the unused area.
    >
    > Is there a way to correct the end point on the extended partition in my
    > partition table so that this area can be used to create additional
    > partitions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Allan

    Though partition table errors can often be corrected...
    there is very grave danger in attempting such.

    I suggest you back up everything at once.

    As soon as you know all your data are safe, you can try to edit the
    partition table

    Or perhaps just keep your /home partition and delete the rest and see if you
    can recreate
    a non-corrupt partitioning scheme and reinstall your OS

  3. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    On Mar 31, 3:34*pm, "philo" wrote:
    > As soon as you know all your data are safe, you can try to edit the
    > partition table

    But how do you edit the partition table to correct the end address of
    the extended partition? I don't remember anything in fdisk like that.

  4. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, allanoppel@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Mar 31, 3:34*pm, "philo" wrote:
    >> As soon as you know all your data are safe, you can try to edit the
    >> partition table

    > But how do you edit the partition table to correct the end address of
    > the extended partition? I don't remember anything in fdisk like that.

    I started out using fdisk, and saw various warnings about how cfdisk was
    better, I can't remember the specific warnings.

    I tried cfdisk, and found it was better, though I can no longer remember
    fdisk to know why I like cfdisk better.

    The comments made me try it, but there was definitely something I found
    that made me decide to stick with it.

    Michael

  5. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    In article news:<47f0cc0e$0$90270$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Allan wrote:
    > My partition table has gotten damaged. Specifically, the extended partition
    > has an incorrect ending cylinder, which leaves some unused disk space
    > inaccessible.

    It's not an error for there to be unused space on a disk. It may be undesirable
    -- because the space isn't immediately accessible -- but it's not an error, and
    the partition layout isn't "broken".

    Whether the partition table is "damaged" depends on whether the tools that
    wrote it meant to write it that way ...

    > My disk started out with a Vista partition at the beginning and a recovery
    > partition at the end, so as fdisk says, "Partition table entries are not in
    > disk order".

    FDisk can say what it likes, but partition entries are not required to be in
    disk order. One *usually* fills the disk with partitions from the beginning,
    which means that the partitions will be in disk order, but it's not required
    and there are cases in which that's not what happens.

    > I have added a Grub boot partition and the extended partition.
    > The extended partition contains three Linux partitions, a swap partition,
    > and a VFAT partition.

    How did you add them?

    Did you do it correctly?

    > Is there a way to correct the end point on the extended partition in my
    > partition table so that this area can be used to create additional
    > partitions?

    Use a partition manager -- such as the parted tools (fdisk will NOT do this) --
    and see what it says. If the unused space is contiguous with the extend
    partition it should be possible to enlarge the extend partition so that it
    includes the unused space. Otherwise you'll have to move partitions around.

    Be aware that repartitioning in this way is not risk free -- in particular, you
    will probably end up with an unusable partition if the power fails while you
    are moving or resizing it. Back up first! Use a UPS if you have one, but a UPS
    may not be able to keep your system live for long enough to complete a
    partition move ... so the backup is essential. (Merely changing the size of an
    extend partition is quick, moving or resizing data partitions takes much
    longer.)

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  6. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    > > I have added a Grub boot partition and the extended partition.
    > How did you add them?
    > Did you do it correctly?

    I used disk management in Vista

    > Use a partition manager -- such as the parted tools (fdisk will NOT do this) --

    Thanks, I'll try parted.

  7. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    On 1 Apr, 10:41, Daniel James wrote:
    > In article , Allan wrote:
    >
    > > My partition table has gotten damaged. *Specifically, the extended partition
    > > has an incorrect ending cylinder, which leaves some unused disk space
    > > inaccessible.

    > It's not an error for there to be unused space on a disk. It may be undesirable
    > -- because the space isn't immediately accessible -- but it's not an error, and
    > the partition layout isn't "broken".
    >
    > Whether the partition table is "damaged" depends on whether the tools that
    > wrote it meant to write it that way ...
    >
    > > My disk started out with a Vista partition at the beginning and a recovery
    > > partition at the end, so as fdisk says, "Partition table entries are notin
    > > disk order".

    > FDisk can say what it likes, but partition entries are not required to be in
    > disk order. One *usually* fills the disk with partitions from the beginning,
    > which means that the partitions will be in disk order, but it's not required
    > and there are cases in which that's not what happens.
    >
    > > I have added a Grub boot partition and the extended partition.
    > > The extended partition contains three Linux partitions, a swap partition,
    > > and a VFAT partition.

    > How did you add them?
    >
    > Did you do it correctly?
    >
    > > Is there a way to correct the end point on the extended partition in my
    > > partition table so that this area can be used to create additional
    > > partitions?

    > Use a partition manager -- such as the parted tools (fdisk will NOT do this) --
    > and see what it says. If the unused space is contiguous with the extend
    > partition it should be possible to enlarge the extend partition so that it
    > includes the unused space. Otherwise you'll have to move partitions around..
    >
    > Be aware that repartitioning in this way is not risk free -- in particular, you
    > will probably end up with an unusable partition if the power fails while you
    > are moving or resizing it. Back up first! Use a UPS if you have one, but aUPS
    > may not be able to keep your system live for long enough to complete a
    > partition move ... so the backup is essential. (Merely changing the size of an
    > extend partition is quick, moving or resizing data partitions takes much
    > longer.)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > *Daniel.

    Required or not, numberous disk management and installation tools will
    throw a wobbly if you don't have them in order. This certainly
    includes anaconda.

  8. Re: error in partition table leaves some space inaccessible

    wrote in message
    On Mar 31, 3:34 pm, "philo" wrote:
    > As soon as you know all your data are safe, you can try to edit the
    > partition table

    But how do you edit the partition table to correct the end address of
    the extended partition? I don't remember anything in fdisk like that.

    I'd not use fdisk at all.

    Also, before you use any disk editing utilities you need to really double
    check to see
    if there is an error at all

+ Reply to Thread