LILO map-file damaged ? - Setup

This is a discussion on LILO map-file damaged ? - Setup ; I cloned my SuSE-9.3 HDD w/LILO 22.7 installed in MBR. (i.e. I have both HDDs installed in one server). For the case of exactly the same ROOT partitions contained /boot directory: simple DD from sda2 to sdb2 (plus DD of ...

  1. LILO map-file damaged ?

    I cloned my SuSE-9.3 HDD w/LILO 22.7 installed in MBR. (i.e. I have
    both HDDs installed in one server).

    For the case of exactly the same ROOT partitions contained /boot
    directory:
    simple DD from sda2 to sdb2 (plus DD of MBR sector) looks OK.

    But if I use dump/restore procedure for clone of the ROOT partition
    filesystem (ext3) and then issue (from rescue mode, for example)
    something like

    chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo -t

    then I see the error message

    raid_setup: stat ("/dev/sda")
    (the same message appears at /mnt/sbin/lilo -t -r /mnt)

    I don't have any raid - in particular, in /etc/lilo.conf :-)
    It looks for me that /boot/map file copied via dump/restore from the
    "source" HDD is inappropriate for using for lilo execution :-(

    This situation (w/message about raid) remains if I remove "source" HDD
    and use only installation CD booting w/1 target HDD.

    How is possible to solve this problem ?

    Mikhail Kuzminsky
    Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
    Moscow

  2. Re: LILO map-file damaged ?

    On 26 Mar, 19:46, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
    > I cloned my SuSE-9.3 HDD w/LILO 22.7 installed in MBR. (i.e. I have
    > both HDDs installed in one server).
    >
    > For the case of exactly the same ROOT partitions contained /boot
    > directory:
    > simple DD from sda2 to sdb2 (plus DD of MBR sector) looks OK.
    >
    > But if I use dump/restore procedure for clone of the ROOT partition
    > filesystem (ext3) and then issue (from rescue mode, for example)
    > something like
    >
    > chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo -t
    >
    > then I see the error message
    >
    > raid_setup: stat ("/dev/sda")
    > (the same message appears at */mnt/sbin/lilo -t -r /mnt)
    >
    > I don't have any raid - in particular, in /etc/lilo.conf :-)
    > It looks for me that /boot/map file copied via dump/restore from the
    > "source" HDD is inappropriate for using for lilo execution :-(
    >
    > This situation (w/message about raid) remains if I remove "source" HDD
    > and use only installation CD booting w/1 target HDD.
    >
    > How is possible to solve this problem ?
    >
    > Mikhail Kuzminsky
    > Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
    > Moscow

    Number one, switch to grub. The increased flexibility and capability
    of grub justifies this.

    Number two, it's not clear that you haven't done any other hardware
    changes. For example, if your drives have wound up renumbered due to
    additional SCSI devices or SCSI-looking devices, such as an external
    USB cd drive used to boot your OS, you may have a bit of a problem
    there.

    Perhaps you should post your lilo.conf and /etc/fstab so we can better
    understand your issue?

  3. Re: LILO map-file damaged ?

    On 27 อมา, 10:53, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 Mar, 19:46, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
    > > I cloned my SuSE-9.3 HDD w/LILO 22.7 installed in MBR. (i.e. I have
    > > both HDDs installed in one server).
    > > For the case of exactly the same ROOT partitions contained /boot
    > > directory:
    > > simple DD from sda2 to sdb2 (plus DD of MBR sector) looks OK.
    > > But if I use dump/restore procedure for clone of the ROOT partition
    > > filesystem (ext3) and then issue (from rescue mode, for example)
    > > something like

    > > chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo -t

    > > then I see the error message

    > > raid_setup: stat ("/dev/sda")
    > > (the same message appears at š/mnt/sbin/lilo -t -r /mnt)

    > > I don't have any raid - in particular, in /etc/lilo.conf :-)
    > > It looks for me that /boot/map file copied via dump/restore from the
    > > "source" HDD is inappropriate for using for lilo execution :-(

    > > This situation (w/message about raid) remains if I remove "source" HDD
    > > and use only installation CD booting w/1 target HDD.

    > > How is possible to solve this problem ?

    > > Mikhail Kuzminsky
    > > Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
    > > Moscow

    > Number one, switch to grub.

    :-) I just switched (some time ago) from grub to lilo back :-)
    The reason was just the need of some tricks if I clone one HDD w/SuSE
    to other.
    LILO looked for me as more simple and "transparent".

    > Number two, it's not clear that you haven't done any other hardware
    > changes. For example, if your drives have wound up renumbered due to
    > additional SCSI devices or SCSI-looking devices, such as an external
    > USB cd drive used to boot your OS, you may have a bit of a problem
    > there.

    It looks as not the reason of the problem. I see this message in 2
    cases
    a) if I have 2 HDDs (source and target) installed simultaneously -
    both HDD are SATA, and in this case I really have renumbering (target
    HDD is /dev/sdb)

    b) if I boot from install CD in rescue mode w/ONE target HDD
    installed.
    In the last case there is no HDDs renumbering.

    > Perhaps you should post your lilo.conf and /etc/fstab so we can better
    > understand your issue?>

    /etc/fstab (I remember that if I perform dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
    all looks OK w/LILO):

    /dev/sda2 / ext3
    acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/sda1 /dos vfat
    users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    /dev/sda6 /home xfs
    defaults 1 2
    /dev/sda5 /usr ext3
    acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/sda3 swap swap
    defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc
    defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs
    noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs
    noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
    noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts
    mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
    noauto,user,sync 0 0
    /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder auto
    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto
    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /dev/dvd /media/dvd auto
    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /etc/lilo.conf:
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Aug 25 18:13:44 UTC 2007
    menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wb
    timeout = 200
    lba32
    change-rules
    reset
    read-only
    prompt
    default = SL_10.1
    message = /boot/message
    boot = /dev/sda

    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    linux###
    label = SL_10.1
    append = " resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent showopts"
    vga = 0x314
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    root = /dev/sda2

    other = /dev/sda1
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    windows###
    label = Windows

    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    failsafe###
    label = Failsafe
    append = "showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off3"
    vga = normal
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    root = /dev/sda2

    image = /boot/memtest.bin
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    memtest86###
    label = Memory_Test

    Yours
    Mikhail

  4. Re: LILO map-file damaged ?

    Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

    > I cloned my SuSE-9.3 HDD w/LILO 22.7 installed in MBR. (i.e. I have
    > both HDDs installed in one server).
    >
    > For the case of exactly the same ROOT partitions contained /boot
    > directory:
    > simple DD from sda2 to sdb2 (plus DD of MBR sector) looks OK.
    >
    > But if I use dump/restore procedure for clone of the ROOT partition
    > filesystem (ext3) and then issue (from rescue mode, for example)
    > something like
    >
    > chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo -t
    >
    > then I see the error message
    >
    > raid_setup: stat ("/dev/sda")
    > (the same message appears at /mnt/sbin/lilo -t -r /mnt)
    >
    > I don't have any raid - in particular, in /etc/lilo.conf :-)
    > It looks for me that /boot/map file copied via dump/restore from the
    > "source" HDD is inappropriate for using for lilo execution :-(
    >
    > This situation (w/message about raid) remains if I remove "source" HDD
    > and use only installation CD booting w/1 target HDD.
    >
    > How is possible to solve this problem ?
    >
    > Mikhail Kuzminsky
    > Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
    > Moscow

    Have a look at :http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/prepare.html
    If you've done your lilo configuration right... it'll work.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread