Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux? - Setup

This is a discussion on Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux? - Setup ; Given the following situation: Everything is prepared for "Wake-on-LAN", but unfortunately on the PC to be woken up, "Wake-on-LAN" is disabled in the BIOS and this setting can not be changed because you have only remote (root) access to that ...

  1. Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux?

    Given the following situation: Everything is prepared for "Wake-on-LAN",
    but unfortunately on the PC to be woken up, "Wake-on-LAN" is disabled in
    the BIOS and this setting can not be changed because you have only
    remote (root) access to that PC.

    Is there a chance to override the "wrong" BIOS setting within a running
    Linux, e.g. using the /proc or /sys filesystem, before that PC is shut down?

    --
    Manfred Härtel, DB3HM mailto:Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
    http://rz-home.de/mhaertel

  2. Re: Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:29:19 +0100, Manfred Haertel, DB3HM wrote:

    > Given the following situation: Everything is prepared for "Wake-on-LAN",
    > but unfortunately on the PC to be woken up, "Wake-on-LAN" is disabled in
    > the BIOS and this setting can not be changed because you have only
    > remote (root) access to that PC.
    >
    > Is there a chance to override the "wrong" BIOS setting within a running
    > Linux, e.g. using the /proc or /sys filesystem, before that PC is shut down?

    Afraid not. Once the system is shutdown there is noting left of the OS to
    tell the system what to do. You need someone on that site to setup the
    BIOS for you. Wouldn't it be better to just leave the system running?

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Linux User #296285
    http://counter.li.org

  3. Re: Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux?

    Robert wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:29:19 +0100, Manfred Haertel, DB3HM wrote:
    >
    >> Given the following situation: Everything is prepared for "Wake-on-LAN",
    >> but unfortunately on the PC to be woken up, "Wake-on-LAN" is disabled in
    >> the BIOS and this setting can not be changed because you have only
    >> remote (root) access to that PC.
    >>
    >> Is there a chance to override the "wrong" BIOS setting within a running
    >> Linux, e.g. using the /proc or /sys filesystem, before that PC is shut down?

    > Afraid not. Once the system is shutdown there is noting left of the OS to
    > tell the system what to do. You need someone on that site to setup the
    > BIOS for you. Wouldn't it be better to just leave the system running?

    And *THIS* sort of wackiness is why I want LinuxBIOS to become more popular.
    The OLPC is using it quite effectively, I've got reports of it being used for
    renderfarms, and it's exciting stuff to address precisely this sort of wackiness.

  4. Re: Overriding "Wake-on-LAN" BIOS settings in the running Linux?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > Manfred Haertel, DB3HM wrote:

    > >> Is there a chance to override the "wrong" BIOS setting within a running
    > >> Linux, e.g. using the /proc or /sys filesystem, before that PC is shut down?

    > And *THIS* sort of wackiness is why I want LinuxBIOS to become more popular.

    Solaris for SPARC has a command "eeprom" to set PROM
    variables. Since the BIOS is in EEPROM I just logged into
    a Solairs x86 host to compare. It does have an "eeprom"
    binary but it writes to a file not to the BIOS. Sigh. It also
    points to the grub man pages.

    LinuxBIOS equals goodness ...

+ Reply to Thread