mandriva 2006 install - Setup

This is a discussion on mandriva 2006 install - Setup ; I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit distribution." What exactly does this mean? Thanks, JM...

  1. mandriva 2006 install

    I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error
    message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit
    distribution." What exactly does this mean?
    Thanks,
    JM

  2. Re: mandriva 2006 install

    "AWM" writes:

    >I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error
    >message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit
    >distribution." What exactly does this mean?

    It means a) that you are trying to install an ancient distro and should
    install a more recent one, and b) that you tried to install a 64 bit
    version on a 32 bit processor.

    >Thanks,
    >JM

  3. Re: mandriva 2006 install

    AWM wrote:
    > I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error
    > message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit
    > distribution." What exactly does this mean?
    > Thanks,
    > JM

    Not that I know all that much but it sounds like you are trying
    to use a version meant for a 64 bit cpu. You need the i586 version.

    What sort of optical drive do you have? Currently their
    are several current Mandriva distributions available as DVDs in
    magazines especially the current Linux Pro Magazine which has a
    2008 Mandriva Powerpack DVD.

    If you are limited to a CD you will have to get them from
    a download site and create your own CD-ROMs from the 2006 586 iso
    files. If you cannot do that then you will have to buy the cds premade
    from someone unless you can find a copacetic and accomodating Users
    Group. I checked my archive and I have those iso files from iso 1 to iso 4.
    What continent/nation/area are you writing from?

    later
    bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

    --
    bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

    Your tag lines (k) were stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

  4. Re: mandriva 2006 install

    bobbie sellers wrote:
    > AWM wrote:
    >> I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error
    >> message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit
    >> distribution." What exactly does this mean?
    >> Thanks,
    >> JM
    >>

    > Not that I know all that much but it sounds like you are trying
    > to use a version meant for a 64 bit cpu. You need the i586 version.
    >
    > What sort of optical drive do you have? Currently their
    > are several current Mandriva distributions available as DVDs in
    > magazines especially the current Linux Pro Magazine which has a
    > 2008 Mandriva Powerpack DVD.
    >
    > If you are limited to a CD you will have to get them from
    > a download site and create your own CD-ROMs from the 2006 586 iso
    > files. If you cannot do that then you will have to buy the cds premade
    > from someone unless you can find a copacetic and accomodating Users
    > Group. I checked my archive and I have those iso files from iso 1 to iso 4.
    > What continent/nation/area are you writing from?

    Thanks for the info. I do have the ability to download and burn the cd's
    or dvd's for Mandriva. This time I'll make sure its the i586 version though!
    JM

  5. Re: mandriva 2006 install

    JM <1@2.3> writes:

    >bobbie sellers wrote:
    >> AWM wrote:
    >>> I tried installing Mandriva 2006 on an eTower 600is. I got this error
    >>> message saying "The CPU does not support long mode. Please use a 32bit
    >>> distribution." What exactly does this mean?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> JM
    >>>

    >> Not that I know all that much but it sounds like you are trying
    >> to use a version meant for a 64 bit cpu. You need the i586 version.
    >>
    >> What sort of optical drive do you have? Currently their
    >> are several current Mandriva distributions available as DVDs in
    >> magazines especially the current Linux Pro Magazine which has a
    >> 2008 Mandriva Powerpack DVD.
    >>
    >> If you are limited to a CD you will have to get them from
    >> a download site and create your own CD-ROMs from the 2006 586 iso
    >> files. If you cannot do that then you will have to buy the cds premade
    >> from someone unless you can find a copacetic and accomodating Users
    >> Group. I checked my archive and I have those iso files from iso 1 to iso 4.
    >> What continent/nation/area are you writing from?
    >>

    >Thanks for the info. I do have the ability to download and burn the cd's
    >or dvd's for Mandriva. This time I'll make sure its the i586 version though!
    >JM

    AND make sure it is Mandriva 2008, not 2006.

  6. Re: mandriva 2006 install

    Unruh wrote:
    > JM <1@2.3> writes:
    >
    >> bobbie sellers wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Not that I know all that much but it sounds like you are trying
    >>> to use a version meant for a 64 bit cpu. You need the i586 version.
    >>>
    >>> What sort of optical drive do you have? Currently their
    >>> are several current Mandriva distributions available as DVDs in
    >>> magazines especially the current Linux Pro Magazine which has a
    >>> 2008 Mandriva Powerpack DVD.
    >>>
    >>> If you are limited to a CD you will have to get them from
    >>> a download site and create your own CD-ROMs from the 2006 586 iso
    >>> files. If you cannot do that then you will have to buy the cds premade
    >>> from someone unless you can find a copacetic and accomodating Users
    >>> Group. I checked my archive and I have those iso files from iso 1 to iso 4.
    >>> What continent/nation/area are you writing from?
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the info. I do have the ability to download and burn the cd's
    >> or dvd's for Mandriva. This time I'll make sure its the i586 version though!
    >> JM

    > AND make sure it is Mandriva 2008, not 2006.

    Yes, I know. It is very important to keep things up-to-date. Thanks for
    the reminder though.
    JM

+ Reply to Thread