US Robotics modem on fedora 5 - Setup

This is a discussion on US Robotics modem on fedora 5 - Setup ; I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where you ...

  1. US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where you
    can download linux drivers for this modem?
    Thanks,
    JM

  2. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:50:01 GMT, JM wrote:
    > I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    > card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    > linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where you
    > can download linux drivers for this modem?

    No idea about your PCI card. I installed a PCI card in my neighbors pc.
    In a nutshell you use setserial in /etc/rc.local to make linux aware
    of the modem. Snippet I placed in /etc/rc.local which checks if the
    modem is installed. If so, setserial with values I found with lspci -v

    #************************************************* *******************
    #* how to get/set pci mode. Here we search for a Zoom pci modem
    #* pci values found with lspci -v. Use First I/O port at value
    #************************************************* *******************

    _cnt=$(lspci -v | grep --count "Agere Systems Venus Modem")
    if [ $_cnt -gt 0 ] ; then
    setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A port 0xdf00 irq 16
    fi

  3. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    JM wrote:
    > I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    > card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    > linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where you
    > can download linux drivers for this modem?
    > Thanks,
    > JM

    First, update to Fedora 7 or 8, if possible. Fedora Core 5 is *off* the
    supported list.

    Second, USR has done a lot of sins with their modems. Please specify the
    model, and try to find out if it's a Winmodem. Then install "HylaFAX",
    prefereably the recent one at sourceforge.net, and run "faxsetup" and
    "faxaddmodem" and let us know what you see.

  4. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > JM wrote:
    >> I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    >> card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    >> linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where
    >> you can download linux drivers for this modem?
    >> Thanks,
    >> JM

    > First, update to Fedora 7 or 8, if possible. Fedora Core 5 is *off* the
    > supported list.
    >
    > Second, USR has done a lot of sins with their modems. Please specify the
    > model, and try to find out if it's a Winmodem. Then install "HylaFAX",
    > prefereably the recent one at sourceforge.net, and run "faxsetup" and
    > "faxaddmodem" and let us know what you see.

    I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem. I downloaded HylaFAX from
    sourceforge.net and will let you know the results as soon as possible.

    Second, I would upgrade to fedora 8, but my computer doesn't have enough
    RAM so it would be very slow. I can't upgrade the RAM because it has the
    max on it right now.
    Thanks,
    JM

  5. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:48:13 GMT, JM <1@2.3> wrote:
    >Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> JM wrote:
    >>> I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    >>> card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    >>> linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where
    >>> you can download linux drivers for this modem?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> JM

    >> First, update to Fedora 7 or 8, if possible. Fedora Core 5 is *off* the
    >> supported list.
    >>
    >> Second, USR has done a lot of sins with their modems. Please specify the
    >> model, and try to find out if it's a Winmodem. Then install "HylaFAX",
    >> prefereably the recent one at sourceforge.net, and run "faxsetup" and
    >> "faxaddmodem" and let us know what you see.

    >I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    >us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem. I downloaded HylaFAX from
    >sourceforge.net and will let you know the results as soon as possible.

    >Second, I would upgrade to fedora 8, but my computer doesn't have enough
    >RAM so it would be very slow. I can't upgrade the RAM because it has the
    >max on it right now.

    Fedora 8 doesn't need any more ram with the exception of the berryl
    window manager.

  6. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    JM wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> JM wrote:
    >>> I installed fedora core 5 on my computer with a US Robotics 56KB PCI
    >>> card fax/modem. Linux does not detect any modems. I did not find any
    >>> linux drivers on the us robotics website. Are there any places where
    >>> you can download linux drivers for this modem? Thanks, JM

    >> First, update to Fedora 7 or 8, if possible. Fedora Core 5 is *off* the
    >> supported list.
    >>
    >> Second, USR has done a lot of sins with their modems. Please specify
    >> the model, and try to find out if it's a Winmodem. Then install
    >> "HylaFAX", prefereably the recent one at sourceforge.net, and run
    >> "faxsetup" and "faxaddmodem" and let us know what you see.

    > I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    > us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem. I downloaded HylaFAX from
    > sourceforge.net and will let you know the results as soon as possible.

    Right. The good real PCI modem from USR is the 5610B.

    ^^-^^ 14:05:01 up 19:07, 3 users, load average: 4.28, 4.32, 4.30

  7. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , JM wrote:

    >I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    >us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem.

    Yeah, that's the Analog Devices AD1807JS chipset that no one has ever
    bothered to create a driver for. http://pciids.sf.net/ has a list of
    six USR modems (look under '56K FaxModem Model 5610') that work as is.

    >Second, I would upgrade to fedora 8, but my computer doesn't have enough
    >RAM so it would be very slow. I can't upgrade the RAM because it has the
    >max on it right now.

    From the RELEASE-NOTES file from FC5:

    Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
    AMD64 processors (both Athlon64 and Opteron)
    Intel processors with Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T)

    Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
    Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
    Recommended for graphical: 256MiB

    From the RELEASE-NOTES file from FC8:

    Fedora 8 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is optimized
    for Pentium 4 and later processors.
    * Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    * Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
    * Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
    * Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
    * Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

    Doesn't look much different to me.

    Old guy

  8. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    > , JM wrote:
    >
    >> I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    >> us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem.

    > Yeah, that's the Analog Devices AD1807JS chipset that no one has ever
    > bothered to create a driver for. http://pciids.sf.net/ has a list of
    > six USR modems (look under '56K FaxModem Model 5610') that work as is.
    >
    >> Second, I would upgrade to fedora 8, but my computer doesn't have enough
    >> RAM so it would be very slow. I can't upgrade the RAM because it has the
    >> max on it right now.

    > From the RELEASE-NOTES file from FC5:
    >
    > Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    > Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
    > AMD64 processors (both Athlon64 and Opteron)
    > Intel processors with Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T)
    >
    > Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
    > Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
    > Recommended for graphical: 256MiB
    >
    > From the RELEASE-NOTES file from FC8:
    >
    > Fedora 8 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is optimized
    > for Pentium 4 and later processors.
    > * Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    > * Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
    > * Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
    > * Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
    > * Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB
    >
    > Doesn't look much different to me.

    Thanks. I guess I will upgrade to Fedora 8.
    JM

  9. Re: US Robotics modem on fedora 5

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > JM wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> First, update to Fedora 7 or 8, if possible. Fedora Core 5 is *off* the
    >>> supported list.
    >>>
    >>> Second, USR has done a lot of sins with their modems. Please specify
    >>> the model, and try to find out if it's a Winmodem. Then install
    >>> "HylaFAX", prefereably the recent one at sourceforge.net, and run
    >>> "faxsetup" and "faxaddmodem" and let us know what you see.

    >> I just realized that it is a Winmodem. The model number is 5699B and the
    >> us robotics website says that it's a Winmodem. I downloaded HylaFAX from
    >> sourceforge.net and will let you know the results as soon as possible.
    >>

    > Right. The good real PCI modem from USR is the 5610B.

    Thanks. I'll look into getting one.
    JM

+ Reply to Thread