[novice] I wrecked my partition table. - Setup

This is a discussion on [novice] I wrecked my partition table. - Setup ; Greetings. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (Turion64, 60 GB HD, 1GB RAM). My data is backed up. After updating the BIOS I tried to re-install Ubuntu 7.10 (AMD 64), thinking it might help with some issues I'd had with ...

  1. [novice] I wrecked my partition table.

    Greetings.

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (Turion64, 60 GB HD, 1GB RAM).
    My data is backed up.

    After updating the BIOS I tried to re-install Ubuntu 7.10
    (AMD 64), thinking it might help with some issues I'd had with
    it. Bad Idea. When the Live CD installer got to the
    partitioning step, I screwed up badly.

    partition table (Original Ubuntu 7.10 'guided' installation):

    size used flag
    ---- ---- -----
    /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.87GB
    /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB --- boot
    /dev/sda5 ext3 25.72GB 2.50GB
    /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB boot
    /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    /dev/sda3 fat32 7.84MB

    After screwing it up: (gparted on Live CD)
    size used flag
    ---- ---- -----
    /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.88GB boot
    /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB ---
    /dev/sda5 ext3 25.56GB 2.50GB
    --unallocated ---- 23.17GB
    /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB
    /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    /dev/sda3 fat32 3.36MB 2.80GB
    --unallocated ---- 7.84MB

    Grub still works, and XP seems OK.

    Having done enough damage, I am just thankful the XP
    installation is okay (I need it as-is for work).

    I want to reinstall Ubuntu using the ~1/2 of the drive it
    was on.

    I really, really don't want to screw up XP. Could some
    kind soul walk me through the (baby) steps to fix this? I'm
    assuming gparted is sufficient for the task, but I don't trust
    me at this point

    --
    Gruebait

    Exactly forty-two angels can dance on the head of a pin.

  2. Re: [novice] I wrecked my partition table.

    gruebait wrote:
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (Turion64, 60 GB HD, 1GB RAM).
    > My data is backed up.
    >
    > After updating the BIOS I tried to re-install Ubuntu 7.10
    > (AMD 64), thinking it might help with some issues I'd had with
    > it. Bad Idea. When the Live CD installer got to the
    > partitioning step, I screwed up badly.
    >
    > partition table (Original Ubuntu 7.10 'guided' installation):
    >
    > size used flag
    > ---- ---- -----
    > /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    > /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.87GB
    > /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB --- boot
    > /dev/sda5 ext3 25.72GB 2.50GB
    > /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB boot
    > /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    > /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    > /dev/sda3 fat32 7.84MB
    >
    > After screwing it up: (gparted on Live CD)
    > size used flag
    > ---- ---- -----
    > /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    > /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.88GB boot
    > /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB ---
    > /dev/sda5 ext3 25.56GB 2.50GB
    > --unallocated ---- 23.17GB
    > /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB
    > /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    > /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    > /dev/sda3 fat32 3.36MB 2.80GB
    > --unallocated ---- 7.84MB
    >
    > Grub still works, and XP seems OK.
    >
    > Having done enough damage, I am just thankful the XP
    > installation is okay (I need it as-is for work).
    >
    > I want to reinstall Ubuntu using the ~1/2 of the drive it
    > was on.
    >
    > I really, really don't want to screw up XP. Could some
    > kind soul walk me through the (baby) steps to fix this? I'm
    > assuming gparted is sufficient for the task, but I don't trust
    > me at this point

    First of all, do not do anything until there is no time pressure at work.
    Say next weekend.

    If XP is ok, first thing I would do would be to make a complete backup of it
    (not on /dev/sda anywhere), and verify that the backup is ok. Since I use
    tape for backups, I would advise making two or three of them, and verify each.

    (BTW: why two swap partitions on one hard drive? If you need more than one,
    each should be on a separate hard drive.)

    I would then reinstall Ubuntu. Run the install in a mode where you can make
    a new partition table and tell it to leave your /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and
    /dev/sda3 alone. I use /sbin/fdisk for this because I am familiar with it.
    Whatever you use, be sure you understand it.

    My /sbin/fdisk says this for my first hard drive, that has most of Linux on
    it. You should not need as many partitions for Linux as I have. I do not
    know why your tool (whatever it is) puts things out in such a screwball
    order, nor do I understand why the /dev/sda4 partition is listed as smaller
    than its contents.

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/sda: 73.5 GB, 73557090304 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8942 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 14 2102 16779892+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 2103 2624 4192965 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 2625 8942 50749335 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 2625 4191 12586896 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 4192 5235 8385898+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7 5236 5757 4192933+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda8 5758 6279 4192933+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda9 6280 6534 2048256 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    ^^-^^ 15:30:01 up 4 days, 21:34, 2 users, load average: 4.11, 4.16, 4.11

  3. Re: [novice] I wrecked my partition table.

    Jean-David Beyer writes:

    >gruebait wrote:
    >> Greetings.
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (Turion64, 60 GB HD, 1GB RAM).
    >> My data is backed up.
    >>
    >> After updating the BIOS I tried to re-install Ubuntu 7.10
    >> (AMD 64), thinking it might help with some issues I'd had with
    >> it. Bad Idea. When the Live CD installer got to the
    >> partitioning step, I screwed up badly.

    And you screwed up how?

    There are three items in the partition table you show that are a bit
    questionable.
    a) you do not need two swap partitions.
    Combine them into one. Ie, delete both and then reassign the space to one.
    b) you have unallocated space. Why? Was that the "screw up"? You can just
    assign them-- ie tell the partitioner you want to allocate them to a ext3
    partition.
    Or you could erase one of the partitions around it and then reassign all
    the space to the new one. It is up to you.

    >> partition table (Original Ubuntu 7.10 'guided' installation):
    >>
    >> size used flag
    >> ---- ---- -----
    >> /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    >> /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.87GB
    >> /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB --- boot
    >> /dev/sda5 ext3 25.72GB 2.50GB
    >> /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB boot

    This is probably your / partition. If you have /usr on it, then you do not
    have enough room. If you have / without /usr, 2GB should be fine.
    Since you do not tell us what is on these partitions, it is really hard to
    guide you.

    >> /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    >> /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    >> /dev/sda3 fat32 7.84MB

    You also do not show us the partition table.
    fdisk -l -u /dev/sda

    >> After screwing it up: (gparted on Live CD)
    >> size used flag
    >> ---- ---- -----
    >> /dev/sda1 fat16 70.57MB 8.03MB
    >> /dev/sda2 ntfs 23.29GB 10.88GB boot
    >> /dev/sda4 extended 29.17GB ---
    >> /dev/sda5 ext3 25.56GB 2.50GB
    >> --unallocated ---- 23.17GB
    >> /dev/sda7 ext3 2.04GB 2.04GB
    >> /dev/sda8 linux-swap 164.70MB ---
    >> /dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.25GB ---
    >> /dev/sda3 fat32 3.36MB 2.80GB
    >> --unallocated ---- 7.84MB

    And what is it that is screwed up? This looks essentiall y the same as
    before.

    >> Grub still works, and XP seems OK.
    >>
    >> Having done enough damage, I am just thankful the XP
    >> installation is okay (I need it as-is for work).

    What damage? And what do you feel needs work?

    >> I want to reinstall Ubuntu using the ~1/2 of the drive it
    >> was on.
    >>
    >> I really, really don't want to screw up XP. Could some
    >> kind soul walk me through the (baby) steps to fix this? I'm
    >> assuming gparted is sufficient for the task, but I don't trust
    >> me at this point

    Fix what?

    >First of all, do not do anything until there is no time pressure at work.
    >Say next weekend.

    >If XP is ok, first thing I would do would be to make a complete backup of it
    >(not on /dev/sda anywhere), and verify that the backup is ok. Since I use
    >tape for backups, I would advise making two or three of them, and verify each.

    Agreed. Generally good advice.

    >(BTW: why two swap partitions on one hard drive? If you need more than one,
    >each should be on a separate hard drive.)

    >I would then reinstall Ubuntu. Run the install in a mode where you can make
    >a new partition table and tell it to leave your /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and
    >/dev/sda3 alone. I use /sbin/fdisk for this because I am familiar with it.
    >Whatever you use, be sure you understand it.

    Why reinstall UbuntU? What is wrong now?

  4. Re: [novice] I wrecked my partition table.

    Unruh wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer writes:

    >> I would then reinstall Ubuntu. Run the install in a mode where you can
    >> make a new partition table and tell it to leave your /dev/sda1,
    >> /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda3 alone. I use /sbin/fdisk for this because I am
    >> familiar with it. Whatever you use, be sure you understand it.

    > Why reinstall UbuntU? What is wrong now?

    I do not know if anything is wrong with it or not. Whatever tool he is using
    is either very different from what I use, or broken. The partition order
    seems bizarre.

    The only reason I suggest reinstalling is to make a more rational partition
    table. An expert would not need to reinstall, but the O.P. claims to be a
    novice and I infer he has little on there of importance at this point.

    ^^-^^ 20:55:01 up 5 days, 2:59, 2 users, load average: 4.35, 4.36, 4.25

+ Reply to Thread