Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS - Setup ; Friends, For a Newbie which Linux would be more suitable ? Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS and why? Thanks....

  1. Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    Friends,

    For a Newbie which Linux would be more suitable ?

    Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS and why?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    JAG CHAN wrote:

    > Friends,
    >
    > For a Newbie which Linux would be more suitable ?
    >
    > Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS and why?
    >
    > Thanks.

    They're both free, Linux, and get along quite well together... Why not use
    them both then decide for yourself? A dual boot linux computer is a breeze
    to setup...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:27:19 +0000, JAG CHAN wrote:

    > Friends,
    >
    > For a Newbie which Linux would be more suitable ?
    >
    > Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS and why?
    >
    > Thanks.

    PCLinuxOS. Why? It is more intuitive and simple in its design; and while
    it does not look like Windows like Linspire and Xandros, a Windows user
    would be right at home using it. Even someone who had never used a
    computer before could be up and running in short order. It's all GUI
    philosophy makes learning the commandline unnecessary. Although, it's
    there for those who need to do things the hard way.

    For those reasons and some others, PCLinuxOS was the distribution I chose
    to put on an old Dell 5000e notebook for a technophobic, totally computer
    challenged girl friend, so she could get e-mail and access the web
    required for her work.

    Ubuntu, in my opinion, is just another Linux distribution, but with the
    most god-awful default color scheme I've ever seen. And while it is
    immensely popular, I don't consider it unique or any easier to use than
    any other Linux distro.

    Stef

  4. Re: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    "Stefan Patric" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:27:19 +0000, JAG CHAN wrote:
    >
    > > Friends,
    > >
    > > For a Newbie which Linux would be more suitable ?
    > >
    > > Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS and why?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > PCLinuxOS. Why? It is more intuitive and simple in its design; and while
    > it does not look like Windows like Linspire and Xandros, a Windows user
    > would be right at home using it. Even someone who had never used a
    > computer before could be up and running in short order. It's all GUI
    > philosophy makes learning the commandline unnecessary. Although, it's
    > there for those who need to do things the hard way.
    >
    > For those reasons and some others, PCLinuxOS was the distribution I chose
    > to put on an old Dell 5000e notebook for a technophobic, totally computer
    > challenged girl friend, so she could get e-mail and access the web
    > required for her work.
    >
    > Ubuntu, in my opinion, is just another Linux distribution, but with the
    > most god-awful default color scheme I've ever seen. And while it is
    > immensely popular, I don't consider it unique or any easier to use than
    > any other Linux distro.
    >
    > Stef

    I *completely* agree!

    I highly suggest PCLinuxOS

  5. Re: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:37:03 -0500, philo wrote:

    > I highly suggest PCLinuxOS

    Of the two, so do I.

    My first Linux was SuSE 9.0 Pro, and when I decided to
    upgrade, I tried out several different distributions, three of
    which were Ubuntu, PcLinuxOS, and Mandriva.

    I just couldn't get on with Ubuntu, and of the other two I chose
    Mandriva, but there wasn't much in it, and if Mandriva went
    downhill I would happily change to PCLinuxOS.

    There is a newsgroup, by the way: alt.os.linux.pclinuxos

    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS

    Maurice Batey wrote in
    newsan.2008.03.18.16.42.22.683984@bcs.removethis.org.u k:

    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:37:03 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    >> I highly suggest PCLinuxOS

    > Of the two, so do I.
    >
    > My first Linux was SuSE 9.0 Pro, and when I decided to
    > upgrade, I tried out several different distributions, three of
    > which were Ubuntu, PcLinuxOS, and Mandriva.
    >
    > I just couldn't get on with Ubuntu, and of the other two I chose
    > Mandriva, but there wasn't much in it, and if Mandriva went
    > downhill I would happily change to PCLinuxOS.
    >
    > There is a newsgroup, by the way: alt.os.linux.pclinuxos

    Thank you all for your suggestions.

    I will try PcLinuxOS.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread