Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler" error - Setup

This is a discussion on Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler" error - Setup ; Hi. I was trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on a Sun computer (Sun Blade 100 with UltraSPARC IIe CPU @ 500MHz), and when installing the thing fails at the step "formatting partitions" with a "Kernel panic: not syncing - Aiee! ...

  1. Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler" error

    Hi.

    I was trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on a Sun computer (Sun Blade
    100 with UltraSPARC IIe CPU @ 500MHz), and when installing the thing
    fails at the step "formatting partitions" with a "Kernel panic: not
    syncing - Aiee! Killing interrupt handler!" error (not sure if that's
    the exact phrasing but it's close enough.). What gives here?

  2. Re: Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler" error

    I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...

    > I was trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on a Sun computer (Sun Blade
    > 100 with UltraSPARC IIe CPU @ 500MHz), and when installing the thing
    > fails at the step "formatting partitions" with a "Kernel panic: not
    > syncing - Aiee! Killing interrupt handler!" error (not sure if that's
    > the exact phrasing but it's close enough.). What gives here?

    You need everything from the initial 'oops' or 'BUG' (or whatever) line up to
    the kernel panic line ‒ register dump, stack trace, loaded modules ‒ when
    reporting one of these, and you may also need some preceding log text. So
    you'll need to capture the kernel log... can you boot it with either
    serial=... or netconsole=... (netconsole's probably better for this) and
    capture the kernel log (including the panic)?

    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...al-console.txt
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt

    You should take this, complete with the captured panic and hardware
    configuration, to the relevant Debian mailing list(s) - debian-sparc seems
    like a good place to start; they're more likely to know what to do than
    random people here, such as me.

    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    If you really want to know, you won't ask me.

  3. Re: Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler"error

    On Mar 13, 8:12 pm, Darren Salt
    wrote:
    > I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...
    >
    > > I was trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on a Sun computer (Sun Blade
    > > 100 with UltraSPARC IIe CPU @ 500MHz), and when installing the thing
    > > fails at the step "formatting partitions" with a "Kernel panic: not
    > > syncing - Aiee! Killing interrupt handler!" error (not sure if that's
    > > the exact phrasing but it's close enough.). What gives here?

    > You need everything from the initial 'oops' or 'BUG' (or whatever) line up to
    > the kernel panic line - register dump, stack trace, loaded modules - when
    > reporting one of these, and you may also need some preceding log text. So
    > you'll need to capture the kernel log... can you boot it with either
    > serial=... or netconsole=... (netconsole's probably better for this) and
    > capture the kernel log (including the panic)?
    >
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt
    >
    > You should take this, complete with the captured panic and hardware
    > configuration, to the relevant Debian mailing list(s) - debian-sparc seems
    > like a good place to start; they're more likely to know what to do than
    > random people here, such as me.

    It just said that message, I didn't get any more information on the
    screen.
    Nor can I just "cut + paste" it into a file (I suppose I could take a
    picture of the
    screen with a webcam... would that help?).

    How can I get the logs off the system and onto the internet, and how
    to register
    for the lists (I tried posting to the newsgroups but the moderator
    rejected
    my post because I was not registered and I deleted the email with the
    registration instructions! darn )?

  4. Re: Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler"error

    On Mar 14, 12:05 pm, Darren Salt
    wrote:
    > I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...
    >

    > > On Mar 13, 8:12 pm, Darren Salt wrote:
    > >> I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...
    > >> You need everything from the initial 'oops' or 'BUG' (or whatever) line
    > >> up to the kernel panic line - register dump, stack trace, loaded modules

    > [snip]
    > >>http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...al-console.txt
    > >>http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...netconsole.txt
    > >> You should take this, complete with the captured panic and hardware
    > >> configuration, to the relevant Debian mailing list(s) - debian-sparc seems
    > >> like a good place to start; they're more likely to know what to do than
    > >> random people here, such as me.

    > > It just said that message, I didn't get any more information on the screen.

    > Have you tried again, this time with one of the logging boot options
    > (documentation for which is at the above URLs)? You really should be getting
    > more than just that one line, though - I did, for an apparently random IPv4
    > failure.
    >
    > > Nor can I just "cut + paste" it into a file (I suppose I could take a
    > > picture of the screen with a webcam... would that help?).

    > Possibly. However, one line saying "kernel panic" is of no real use.
    >
    > > How can I get the logs off the system and onto the internet,

    > The best (most complete) way is to capture it by logging to another computer;
    > you'll need one of those boot options. In the case of a kernel panic, you can
    > be sure that the panic won't appear in any log files on the affected computer
    > :-)
    >
    > (FWIW, I used netconsole to capture a panic recently. It turned out to be a
    > NULL dereference in some IPv4 code in interrupt context.)
    >
    > > and how to register for the lists (I tried posting to the newsgroups but
    > > the moderator rejected my post because I was not registered and I deleted
    > > the email with the registration instructions! darn )?

    > http://lists.debian.org/has all of the information that you need.
    >
    > Another thing that you could do is to report a bug; but for that, it'll help
    > to know which linux-image-* package the running kernel is from. (Seehttp://bugs.debian.org/for more information; check for bugs which match your
    > problem before reporting.)

    Right now I'm currently trying a different operating system on the
    computer. But if I decide to go to Debian again I'll take this stuff
    into account.

    By the way, how do you find out the linux-image-* package for
    the installer kernel?

  5. Re: Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler" error

    I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...

    [snip; how to capture kernel panics]
    > Right now I'm currently trying a different operating system on the
    > computer. But if I decide to go to Debian again I'll take this stuff into
    > account.

    You should be aware that the panic capturing applies regardless of
    distribution. :-)

    > By the way, how do you find out the linux-image-* package for the installer
    > kernel?

    Alt-F2, activate the console, "uname -r". For 4.0r0 on i386, that would
    report 2.6.18-4-486; so the package name would be linux-image-2.6.18-4-486,
    but it may be better to look at linux-image-2.6-486 (which depends on it).

    (The current kernel in etch is 2.6.18-6.)

    | + Output less CO2 => avoid massive flooding. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.

  6. Re: Debian not installing on computer, "killing interrupt handler"error

    On Mar 14, 3:54*pm, Darren Salt
    wrote:
    > I demand that mike3 may or may not have written...
    >
    > [snip; how to capture kernel panics]
    >
    > > Right now I'm currently trying a different operating system on the
    > > computer. But if I decide to go to Debian again I'll take this stuff into
    > > account.

    > You should be aware that the panic capturing applies regardless of
    > distribution. :-)

    I guess so.

    > > By the way, how do you find out the linux-image-* package for the installer
    > > kernel?

    > Alt-F2, activate the console, "uname -r". For 4.0r0 on i386, that would
    > report 2.6.18-4-486; so the package name would be linux-image-2.6.18-4-486,
    > but it may be better to look at linux-image-2.6-486 (which depends on it).
    >
    > (The current kernel in etch is 2.6.18-6.)

    Thanks for the information.

+ Reply to Thread