http install - Setup

This is a discussion on http install - Setup ; Hi Folks, Isn't there an HTTP repository that I can install without having to download the whole distribution? Can anybody give me an example of how to address it? Thanks, Chris....

  1. http install

    Hi Folks,

    Isn't there an HTTP repository that I can install without having to
    download the whole distribution? Can anybody give me an example of
    how to address it?

    Thanks,

    Chris.

  2. Re: http install

    Well, quite by accident, while looking for something else, I found
    this. It now seems obvious. As a kernel boot parameter: method=http://
    download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/

    CHris.

  3. Re: http install

    On 2008-03-13, Chris wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Isn't there an HTTP repository that I can install without having to
    > download the whole distribution? Can anybody give me an example of
    > how to address it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris.

    Depends on the distro. Which you failed to mention...

    And it depends on your skill level. Most people need an iso with
    an install and configuration program. Even then, in the case of
    at least slackware, you can just download some of the isos.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  4. Re: http install

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Isn't there an HTTP repository that I can install without having to
    > download the whole distribution? Can anybody give me an example of
    > how to address it?

    Since you crossposted to a redhat group I assume you are talking about
    Fedora/Redhat. You could try lubi:

    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

    Its a boot-loader for your harddrive that will install from the
    specified source (either local or via http/ftp). I am not sure of the
    addresses of the Fedora mirrors so I can't help you with exactly what
    address you need to enter when installing.

  5. Re: http install

    On 13 Mar, 18:17, Thomas Jespersen wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,

    > > Isn't there an HTTP repository that I can install without having to
    > > download the whole distribution? *Can anybody give me an example of
    > > how to address it?

    > Since you crossposted to a redhat group I assume you are talking about
    > Fedora/Redhat. You could try lubi:
    >
    > http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html
    >
    > Its a boot-loader for your harddrive that will install from the
    > specified source (either local or via http/ftp). I am not sure of the
    > addresses of the Fedora mirrors so I can't help you with exactly what
    > address you need to enter when installing.

    For RHEL, you need a local mirror. You can build one using the
    "reposync" tool with a RHEL subscription, or build an HTTP site from
    the latest DVD image. Or, you can use Fedora or CentOS.

+ Reply to Thread