Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashes my Xsession. - Setup

This is a discussion on Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashes my Xsession. - Setup ; Hello, I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1. I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't ...

  1. Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashes my Xsession.

    Hello,

    I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I
    recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of
    gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1.

    I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    desktop in KDE v3.5.8 or Gnome v2.14.3. Then, I switched to another
    virtual desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen. Finally, I pressed
    ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to console/text mode.

    It resulted a X crash like:
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    1: [0xffffe420]
    2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    If I disable this neat colorful plugin, then I won't get the crash. I am
    just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I am using Debian
    (Kernel 2.6.22-K7) and keep it updated daily.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    "They are like the ant... They start one way and turn around and go the
    other way... They look all the time at the ground and never see the
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashes my X session.

    Ant wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I
    > recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of
    > gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1.
    >
    > I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    > customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    > desktop in KDE v3.5.8 or Gnome v2.14.3. Then, I switched to another
    > virtual desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen. Finally, I pressed
    > ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to console/text mode.
    >
    > It resulted a X crash like:
    > Backtrace:
    > 0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    > 1: [0xffffe420]
    > 2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    > 3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    > 4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    > 5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    > 6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    > 7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    > 8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    > 9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Caught signal 11. Server aborting
    >

    > If I disable this neat colorful plugin, then I won't get the crash. I am
    > just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I am using Debian
    > (Kernel 2.6.22-K7) and keep it updated daily.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I wonder if this problem still occurs with: startx -- -dumbSched

    By default XFree86/X.org use a "smart scheduler" that uses SIGALRM
    periodically. You might try without that, even though you're
    experiencing a signal 11 which is a SIGSEGV.

    By the way, do any X developers know why dispatch.c doesn't use
    sig_atomic_t instead of the volatile char code? IMO sig_atomic_t is
    better for variables used in signal handlers.

    Try to get a debug build of the X.org X server. I think then you will
    be able to see symbol names for the addresses likes 0x81771e0 when
    xorg_backtrace() dumps the backtrace.

    From what I've read of configure.ac for xorg-server, it seems that you
    want ./configure --enable-debug

    The default is --prefix=/usr/local so you may want to backup your X11
    install, and then try ./configure --enable-debug --prefix=/usr

    George

  3. Re: Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashesmy X session.

    OK... I am starting to think this is NVIDIA's fault. I went back to nv
    driver by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run startx. I tried to
    reproduce the problem and no crash with gkrellm-hdplop plugin! I am
    going to report this to NVIDIA via e-mail and the forum.

    Is it me or is NVIDIA driver getting buggy in Linux like in Windows?

    On 3/10/2008 10:42 PM PT, Ant typed:

    > I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I
    > recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of
    > gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1.
    >
    > I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    > customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    > desktop in KDE v3.5.8 or Gnome v2.14.3. Then, I switched to another
    > virtual desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen. Finally, I pressed
    > ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to console/text mode.
    >
    > It resulted a X crash like:
    > Backtrace:
    > 0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    > 1: [0xffffe420]
    > 2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    > 3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    > 4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    > 5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    > 6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    > 7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    > 8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    > 9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Caught signal 11. Server aborting
    >

    > If I disable this neat colorful plugin, then I won't get the crash. I am
    > just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I am using Debian
    > (Kernel 2.6.22-K7) and keep it updated daily.

    --
    "Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall
    never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  4. Re: Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashes myX session.

    Ant writes:

    > On 3/10/2008 10:42 PM PT, Ant typed:
    >
    >> I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I
    >> recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of
    >> gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1.

    ....top posting fixed... once.
    > OK... I am starting to think this is NVIDIA's fault. I went back to nv
    > driver by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run startx. I tried to
    > reproduce the problem and no crash with gkrellm-hdplop plugin! I am
    > going to report this to NVIDIA via e-mail and the forum.
    >
    > Is it me or is NVIDIA driver getting buggy in Linux like in Windows?

    As far as I can tell, the NVIDIA driver for Linux shares code
    with the Windows driver. Look at the version numbers.

    As for bugs, read the forums. Hell yeah there are bugs.
    The good news is, if you post the bug to the forums,
    you might find a work around and eventually it will get fixed.

  5. Re: Using gkrellm-hdplop plugin and ctrl-alt-F# together crashesmy X session.

    On 3/12/2008 7:54 AM PT, Dan Espen typed:

    >>> I would like to know if I am the only one with this issue or not. I
    >>> recently discover how to reproduce my X session crash because of
    >>> gkrellm-hdplop plugin in GKrellM v2.3.1.

    >> OK... I am starting to think this is NVIDIA's fault. I went back to nv
    >> driver by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run startx. I tried to
    >> reproduce the problem and no crash with gkrellm-hdplop plugin! I am
    >> going to report this to NVIDIA via e-mail and the forum.
    >>
    >> Is it me or is NVIDIA driver getting buggy in Linux like in Windows?

    > As far as I can tell, the NVIDIA driver for Linux shares code
    > with the Windows driver. Look at the version numbers.
    >
    > As for bugs, read the forums. Hell yeah there are bugs.
    > The good news is, if you post the bug to the forums,
    > you might find a work around and eventually it will get fixed.

    Well, so far nothing in my post from yesterday:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1589973
    --
    "... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
    --Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)