Distro with mail server? - Setup

This is a discussion on Distro with mail server? - Setup ; Hi All, Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail server? It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier, SpamAssassin, etc. Regards, Brian...

  1. Distro with mail server?

    Hi All,

    Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    server? It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    SpamAssassin, etc.

    Regards,
    Brian

  2. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    > server?

    Just to pick one, how would Postfix know the relayhost value?

    > It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    > SpamAssassin, etc.

    I found putting setup commands is a script removed the tedious
    work/mistakes for me.

  3. Re: Distro with mail server?

    Bit Twister schreef:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    >> server?

    > Just to pick one, how would Postfix know the relayhost value?
    >
    >> It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    >> SpamAssassin, etc.

    > I found putting setup commands is a script removed the tedious
    > work/mistakes for me.

    /me just remove exim from a debian install
    in order to replace it for postfix, dovecot and spamassasin

    --
    Luuk

  4. Re: Distro with mail server?

    Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    > server? It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    > SpamAssassin, etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Brian

    Well if you want a mail server that is already set up to receive mail
    for *@nsa.org, then I guess thats all of them allegedly

    Good grief. Hiow an it be 'set up' when it can;t know who you are, what
    ISP you use, what mail relay thet use or any of the pop accounts you
    might have..if you cant be arsed don't use a mail server. Use Thnderbird.

  5. Re: Distro with mail server?

    In comp.os.linux.setup Luuk :
    > Bit Twister schreef:
    >> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    >>> Hi All,

    >>> Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    >>> server?

    >> Just to pick one, how would Postfix know the relayhost value?

    >>> It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    >>> SpamAssassin, etc.

    If you want high rates of spam detection it is quite some work, a
    well trained bayes can do much for you if possible to use. Though
    all setup work it is quite more entertaining then getting bloated
    with spam 24/7...

    >> I found putting setup commands is a script removed the tedious
    >> work/mistakes for me.

    > /me just remove exim from a debian install
    > in order to replace it for postfix, dovecot and spamassasin

    Postfix is just a toy, once you get behind the powers of exim.

  6. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On 2008-03-10, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any distro that includes the setup of a mail
    >> server? It is a little tedious settings up Postfix, Courier,
    >> SpamAssassin, etc.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Brian

    > Well if you want a mail server that is already set up to receive mail
    > for *@nsa.org, then I guess thats all of them allegedly
    >
    > Good grief. Hiow an it be 'set up' when it can;t know who you are, what
    > ISP you use, what mail relay thet use or any of the pop accounts you
    > might have..if you cant be arsed don't use a mail server. Use Thnderbird.

    If he doesn't know the above, he probably doesn't know that most ISPs won't
    let their users run a mail server (port 25 is blocked).

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  7. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On Mar 10, 12:14 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > Well if you want a mail server that is already set up to receive mail
    > for *...@nsa.org, then I guess thats all of them allegedly
    >
    > Good grief. Hiow an it be 'set up' when it can;t know who you are, what
    > ISP you use, what mail relay thet use or any of the pop accounts you
    > might have..if you cant be arsed don't use a mail server. Use Thnderbird.

    How about asking questions to fill in the information instead of
    commands?

  8. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On Mar 10, 12:50 pm, Tom Newton wrote:
    doesn't know the above, he probably doesn't know that most ISPs won't
    > let their users run a mail server (port 25 is blocked).
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    > gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

    That's why I am relaying the mail to my ISPs SMTP server.

  9. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On 2008-03-10, Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 12:50 pm, Tom Newton wrote:
    > doesn't know the above, he probably doesn't know that most ISPs won't
    >> let their users run a mail server (port 25 is blocked).
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> --
    >> calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    >> gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

    > That's why I am relaying the mail to my ISPs SMTP server.

    Which most of us do. I recommend msmtp for that. It's much smaller
    and simpler than a real mail server and works just great.

    http://msmtp.sourceforge.net

    Your distro probably has an msmtp package.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  10. Re: Distro with mail server?

    Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-03-10, Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    >> On Mar 10, 12:50 pm, Tom Newton wrote: doesn't
    >> know the above, he probably doesn't know that most ISPs won't
    >>> let their users run a mail server (port 25 is blocked).
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> -- calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free: gmail [DOT] com |
    >>> http://www.sethcenter.com

    >> That's why I am relaying the mail to my ISPs SMTP server.
    >>

    > Which most of us do. I recommend msmtp for that. It's much smaller and
    > simpler than a real mail server and works just great.
    >
    > http://msmtp.sourceforge.net
    >
    > Your distro probably has an msmtp package.

    My old ISP let me run a mail server and I used sendmail as MTU. I used mutt
    as my MUA. I did not really like mutt all that much because so many people
    sent me html e-mail, and lots of fancy attachments. I have prevailed on some
    of them to send ASCII e-mail, but most refuse. It worked quite well. My new
    one does not let me receive anything on port 25 (unless I pay quite a big
    monthly fee), but it allows me to run sendmail to send stuff to their mail
    server, which I sometimes do.

    So I am stuck with their spam eliminator stuff. That generally blocks 50 to
    100 spams per day, which is not enough, but it is better than downloading it
    all to my main machine.

    ^^-^^ 13:55:01 up 3 days, 19:56, 2 users, load average: 4.66, 4.57, 4.44

  11. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On 2008-03-10, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >> On 2008-03-10, Brian S. Paskin wrote:
    >>> On Mar 10, 12:50 pm, Tom Newton wrote: doesn't
    >>> know the above, he probably doesn't know that most ISPs won't

    >>> That's why I am relaying the mail to my ISPs SMTP server.
    >>>

    >> Which most of us do. I recommend msmtp for that. It's much smaller and
    >> simpler than a real mail server and works just great.
    >>
    >> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net
    >>
    >> Your distro probably has an msmtp package.
    >>

    > My old ISP let me run a mail server and I used sendmail as MTU. I used mutt
    > as my MUA. I did not really like mutt all that much because so many people
    > sent me html e-mail, and lots of fancy attachments. I have prevailed on some
    > of them to send ASCII e-mail, but most refuse. It worked quite well. My new
    > one does not let me receive anything on port 25 (unless I pay quite a big
    > monthly fee), but it allows me to run sendmail to send stuff to their mail
    > server, which I sometimes do.
    >
    > So I am stuck with their spam eliminator stuff. That generally blocks 50 to
    > 100 spams per day, which is not enough, but it is better than downloading it
    > all to my main machine.

    I run mutt, too, and use procmail to run an HTML2plaintext
    filter. If you use procmail and have links installed here's the
    procmail recipe and script:

    :0
    * ^Content-Type:.*html
    {
    :0 bf
    | /usr/local/bin/muttdump.sh

    :0 hf
    | formail -I"Content-Type: text/plain"
    }

    #!/bin/sh

    #muttdump.sh

    cat > /tmp/vi39b733sagl
    links -dump /tmp/vi39b733sagl

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  12. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On 2008-03-10, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > So I am stuck with their spam eliminator stuff. That generally blocks 50 to
    > 100 spams per day, which is not enough, but it is better than downloading it
    > all to my main machine.

    You can use something like fetchmail to send mail sent to your ISP
    address to your local SMTP daemon, which you can then configure to do
    your own spam filtering/tagging/whatever.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  13. Re: Distro with mail server?

    > You can use something like fetchmail to send mail sent to your ISP
    > address to your local SMTP daemon, which you can then configure to do
    > your own spam filtering/tagging/whatever.
    >
    > --keith

    Okay, I setup Courier, Postfix, etc. Now I can send mail to the rest
    of the world and retrieve mail using a client. However, I cannot send
    mail to the server. It never shows up. I made sure the ports on the
    router 110 and 995 (pop3 and pop3s) are unblocked and pointing to the
    correct machine. Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this
    issue?

    Thanks, Brian

  14. Re: Distro with mail server?

    In comp.os.linux.setup Jean-David Beyer :
    [ Running own MTA ]

    > So I am stuck with their spam eliminator stuff. That generally blocks 50 to
    > 100 spams per day, which is not enough, but it is better than downloading it
    > all to my main machine.

    Hi Jean-David!

    As Keith pointed out I'd suggest to run fetchmail and let it
    deliver to your local user, so sendmail/or whatever can handle it
    and use SA to reduce your spam. With a little setup effort +
    bayes training you can reduce the crap getting through close to
    zero. This is what I do at home.

    #bofh excuse 56: Electricians made popcorn in the power supply

  15. Re: Distro with mail server?

    "Brian S. Paskin" writes:

    >> You can use something like fetchmail to send mail sent to your ISP
    >> address to your local SMTP daemon, which you can then configure to do
    >> your own spam filtering/tagging/whatever.
    >>
    >> --keith
    >>

    >Okay, I setup Courier, Postfix, etc. Now I can send mail to the rest
    >of the world and retrieve mail using a client. However, I cannot send
    >mail to the server. It never shows up. I made sure the ports on the
    >router 110 and 995 (pop3 and pop3s) are unblocked and pointing to the
    >correct machine. Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this
    >issue?

    Mail is not sent on the pop ports. Mail is delivered on port 25 almost
    universally.

    >Thanks, Brian

  16. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On Mar 10, 5:46 pm, Unruh wrote:

    > Mail is not sent on the pop ports. Mail is delivered on port 25 almost
    > universally.

    My mistake. Sorry. I opened port 25 and everything is up and
    running. Thanks.

    Brian

  17. Re: Distro with mail server?

    On 2008-03-10, Brian S. Paskin wrote:

    >> You can use something like fetchmail to send mail sent to your ISP
    >> address to your local SMTP daemon, which you can then configure to do
    >> your own spam filtering/tagging/whatever.
    >>
    >> --keith
    >>

    > Okay, I setup Courier, Postfix, etc.

    Congradulations. You just installed software that will allow
    you to send and receive and forward and filter mail (a gross
    simplification of the functions of a mail server) for 10,000
    people located all over the world.

    When all you want to do is send mail from one computer located in
    your own home to one mailserver located at your ISP.

    Which can be done with a simple bash script.

    Obviously, it is up to that simple task. But it is a
    highly-complex piece of software, and you are not a professional
    mail administrator. And if something goes wrong you may well
    find yourself spending a hundred hours trying to find out how to
    fix it. Not even understanding the basics of the SMTP protocol,
    you will find the docs, and advice from the pros, mostly
    incomprehensible.

    That's why there are what are called "sendmail emulators". These
    are highly-simplified mail servers that do one thing: They send
    mail to a real mailserver. They are very easy to configure and
    use and take up almost nothing in the way of system resources.
    They are bulletproof and just work.

    They are incorporated in mail suites such as the one that
    comes with mozilla, and kmail, etc.

    The two I hear about most often are msmtp and esmtp. I use
    msmtp.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

+ Reply to Thread