automatic start of computer - Setup

This is a discussion on automatic start of computer - Setup ; Hello, After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice a day, sometimes not for some days. I've looked in the bios, and ...

  1. automatic start of computer

    Hello,

    After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running
    Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice a
    day, sometimes not for some days.

    I've looked in the bios, and disabled some options with the name "Resume on
    xxx". It has not helped.

    An idea what could be the cause and how to solve it?

    Regards,

    Piet Van Raad

  2. Re: automatic start of computer

    Piet Van Raad wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running
    > Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice a
    > day, sometimes not for some days.
    >
    > I've looked in the bios, and disabled some options with the name "Resume on
    > xxx". It has not helped.
    >
    > An idea what could be the cause and how to solve it?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piet Van Raad

    Is REBOOTING sporadically, or coming ON when it was switched OFF?

  3. Re: automatic start of computer

    Piet Van Raad wrote:
    > Hello,

    > After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running
    > Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice a
    > day, sometimes not for some days.

    Did this start happening the day after you changed to linux? or did it take
    some weeks?

    > I've looked in the bios, and disabled some options with the name "Resume on
    > xxx". It has not helped.

    > An idea what could be the cause and how to solve it?

    If all else fails, replace the power supply as it might be defective and
    dropping out with slight reductions of voltage. Test by plugging into the same
    circuit as your microwave oven and see if using it causes a reboot. If not,
    forget this paragraph. That it is not a regular event sort of eliminates
    anything internal to the computer OS or ROM.

    --
    Bombing civilians is always justified to turn the people against their
    government. Bombing civilians always increases the support of the

  4. Re: automatic start of computer

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > Piet Van Raad wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running
    >> Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice
    >> a day, sometimes not for some days.
    >>
    >> I've looked in the bios, and disabled some options with the name "Resume
    >> on xxx". It has not helped.
    >>
    >> An idea what could be the cause and how to solve it?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Piet Van Raad

    > Is REBOOTING sporadically, or coming ON when it was switched OFF?

    Coming on when it was switched off.

    Regards,

    Piet Van Raad

  5. Re: automatic start of computer

    Piet Van Raad writes:

    >The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >> Piet Van Raad wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> After I installed Mandriva 2008 on a computer that was previously running
    >>> Windows XP it started to boot for no reason. It does that sometimes twice
    >>> a day, sometimes not for some days.
    >>>
    >>> I've looked in the bios, and disabled some options with the name "Resume
    >>> on xxx". It has not helped.
    >>>
    >>> An idea what could be the cause and how to solve it?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Piet Van Raad

    >> Is REBOOTING sporadically, or coming ON when it was switched OFF?

    >Coming on when it was switched off.

    That can have nothing to do with the operating system. When the computer is
    switched off, there is nothing about the operating system running. It is
    not running not loaded. It is a hardware fault.

    Note there is nothing in the bios running either. It is NOT a software
    problem. It is a hardware problem.

    Now, some computers have in bios options to come on on certain events. Ie,
    the computer is not really switched off but is running a little monitor
    progrom from bios, and looking for events on the net for example. Switch
    off all that kind of "boot on..." in the bios.

    >Regards,

    >Piet Van Raad

  6. Re: automatic start of computer

    Unruh wrote:
    > Piet Van Raad writes:
    >
    >> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >>> Is REBOOTING sporadically, or coming ON when it was switched OFF?

    >> Coming on when it was switched off.

    How was it switched off? With the power button on the computer, or the one
    on the UPS? My computer is set to reboot automatically when power returns
    after a power failure. It helps if my UPS powered it down first. This is an
    option in the BIOS for my machine. When power is restored, it can remain
    off, turn on, or do what it was previously doing.

    Could you have very noisy power and it makes your machine think the start
    button was pressed?

    > That can have nothing to do with the operating system. When the computer is
    > switched off, there is nothing about the operating system running. It is
    > not running not loaded. It is a hardware fault.
    >
    > Note there is nothing in the bios running either. It is NOT a software
    > problem. It is a hardware problem.
    >
    > Now, some computers have in bios options to come on on certain events. Ie,
    > the computer is not really switched off but is running a little monitor
    > progrom from bios, and looking for events on the net for example. Switch
    > off all that kind of "boot on..." in the bios.
    >

    >> Regards,

    >> Piet Van Raad

    ^^-^^ 12:20:01 up 1 day, 19:21, 1 user, load average: 4.12, 4.10, 4.15

  7. Re: automatic start of computer

    Unruh wrote:

    > Piet Van Raad writes:
    >
    >>The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >>> Is REBOOTING sporadically, or coming ON when it was switched OFF?

    >>Coming on when it was switched off.

    > That can have nothing to do with the operating system. When the computer
    > is switched off, there is nothing about the operating system running. It
    > is not running not loaded. It is a hardware fault.
    >
    > Note there is nothing in the bios running either. It is NOT a software
    > problem. It is a hardware problem.
    >
    > Now, some computers have in bios options to come on on certain events. Ie,
    > the computer is not really switched off but is running a little monitor
    > progrom from bios, and looking for events on the net for example. Switch
    > off all that kind of "boot on..." in the bios.

    Don't forget "Wake up on LAN"
    --
    Who the **** is General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

  8. Re: automatic start of computer

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Don't forget "Wake up on LAN"

    If the OP is running a LAN, that might be the case. He did not say so, so we
    do not know.

    Of course the WOL signal could be coming in from the Internet as well, I
    suppose, but that would require the "attacker" to know his NIC address and
    an optional password. It would also be necessary that he have a power supply
    that powers up the NIC even when the computer is off. Some people turn the
    PSU off, too, when they shut down their system. In that case, WOL would not
    work.

    ^^-^^ 07:25:01 up 2 days, 13:26, 1 user, load average: 4.19, 4.19, 4.10

  9. Re: automatic start of computer

    I demand that Jean-David Beyer may or may not have written...

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Don't forget "Wake up on LAN"

    > If the OP is running a LAN, that might be the case. He did not say so, so
    > we do not know.

    > Of course the WOL signal could be coming in from the Internet as well, I
    > suppose, but that would require the "attacker" to know his NIC address and
    > an optional password. It would also be necessary that he have a power
    > supply that powers up the NIC even when the computer is off. Some people
    > turn the PSU off, too, when they shut down their system. In that case, WOL
    > would not work.

    Well... let's just say that I've seen a computer wake up and start booting
    for no obvious reason. No wake-up events were set or enabled (that I know
    of); power supply should be clean (filtering extension sockets), but it's
    possible that momentary dips in the supply triggered it ‒ I'd have to check
    its BIOS config to see whether it's configured to use "last known state" on
    power restoration, but I don't see how that should affect it since it had
    been powered off, unless its last known state isn't being stored properly.

    | + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    It is better to have men ask why you have no statue than why you have one.

+ Reply to Thread