problems installing any linux distro - Setup

This is a discussion on problems installing any linux distro - Setup ; i'm experiencing problems in installing any linux distro on my pc. i think there could be hardware problems. this is what i use: - asus m2n-e sli - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ - GeForce 7600 GS - 2x2Gb ...

  1. problems installing any linux distro

    i'm experiencing problems in installing any linux distro on my pc.
    i think there could be hardware problems.
    this is what i use:
    - asus m2n-e sli
    - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
    - GeForce 7600 GS
    - 2x2Gb Corsair RAM

    i tried ubuntu, opensuse, pclinuxos and all of them stop when starting
    the live cd starting.
    ubuntu gives an error when starting the GUI and other before, telling
    no reasons.
    anyone can helo?
    Thanks
    Denis

  2. Re: problems installing any linux distro

    Check your CD-Rom to see if it read disk with errors. My old LG DVD writer
    read disk incorrect and give me a lot of trouble.

    "giaino"
    ???????:4f0e85cf-26ba-47cb-a750-3e7e90a0e35f@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > i'm experiencing problems in installing any linux distro on my pc.
    > i think there could be hardware problems.
    > this is what i use:
    > - asus m2n-e sli
    > - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
    > - GeForce 7600 GS
    > - 2x2Gb Corsair RAM
    >
    > i tried ubuntu, opensuse, pclinuxos and all of them stop when starting
    > the live cd starting.
    > ubuntu gives an error when starting the GUI and other before, telling
    > no reasons.
    > anyone can helo?
    > Thanks
    > Denis

  3. Re: problems installing any linux distro

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:42:17 -0800, giaino wrote:

    > ubuntu gives an error when starting the GUI and other before, telling
    > no reasons.

    You should have seen the error. Either disable APIC in your BIOS or boot
    the install kernel with the "noapic" argument.

  4. Re: problems installing any linux distro

    giaino wrote:
    > i'm experiencing problems in installing any linux distro on my pc.
    > i think there could be hardware problems.
    > this is what i use:
    > - asus m2n-e sli
    > - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
    > - GeForce 7600 GS
    > - 2x2Gb Corsair RAM

    > i tried ubuntu, opensuse, pclinuxos and all of them stop when starting
    > the live cd starting.
    > ubuntu gives an error when starting the GUI and other before, telling
    > no reasons.
    > anyone can helo?

    Given several distros have failed the problem is in the hardware. What you
    describe of the hardware is plain vanilla so the problem is most likely in the
    BIOS unless this is a recent design laptop. If it is a new model laptop wait six
    months and try again with the latest versions but no guarantees. Laptops are
    expensive because of the odd things they do to pack more features into an
    acceptable weight and form factor. Unless it becomes popular there may never be
    a linux development to handle it.

    If it is a desktop go to your BIOS and look for something cute and clever that
    folks like COMPAQ and DELL include to make life more bearable with Windows.
    Remove/change/delete anything that is not plain vanilla. Shadow RAM, an
    oddly-mounted small HD said to be to restore the OS, anything out of the
    ordinary or any unusual setting -- get rid of it. Yes, you could be eliminating
    something you want that is not a problem so take it one change at a time, make
    notes, and carefully restore before you try the next thing.

    If you are not familiar with BIOS settings it is going to be difficult to help.
    In general the BIOS should reflect nothing more than the hardware specs as you
    listed. There should be nothing done in the BIOS that is more than simply
    registering/agreeing those parameters exist. But not the graphics card. Those
    kind of card is supposed to be smart enough to take care of itself. In any event
    the distro doesn't care much what you have for video.

    Good luck and get back to us if you come up with some new data on the problem.

+ Reply to Thread