Debian Etch netinstall on notebook with D-Link DWL-G650 card - Setup

This is a discussion on Debian Etch netinstall on notebook with D-Link DWL-G650 card - Setup ; Hi, I'd like to install a small file/print/svn/web server on my old notebook (Compaq Armada 1700 w/o DVD/LAN), and I'd like to use the netinstall CD, because I won't dowload and burn 21 iso files... But I can't install nor ...

  1. Debian Etch netinstall on notebook with D-Link DWL-G650 card

    Hi,

    I'd like to install a small file/print/svn/web server on my old
    notebook (Compaq Armada 1700 w/o DVD/LAN), and I'd like to use the
    netinstall CD, because I won't dowload and burn 21 iso files...

    But I can't install nor configure my PCMCIA WLAN card (D-Link AirPlus
    Xtreme DWL-G650 Rev. C3) - and I do not have any other network
    devices.

    So how do I install an Debian on my notebook?

    Regards,
    Dominik

  2. Re: Debian Etch netinstall on notebook with D-Link DWL-G650 card

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:55:15 -0800, DMKE wrote:

    > I'd like to install a small file/print/svn/web server on my old notebook
    > (Compaq Armada 1700 w/o DVD/LAN), and I'd like to use the netinstall CD,
    > because I won't dowload and burn 21 iso files...

    You don't need all the iso's. Usually for a fully working system
    including X and GUI desktop, only the first two CDs are required. A Base
    install, that is, only enough to boot into a terminal with enough
    utilities and such to do a custom, app by app, install, needs only the
    first CD.

    > But I can't install nor configure my PCMCIA WLAN card (D-Link AirPlus
    > Xtreme DWL-G650 Rev. C3) - and I do not have any other network devices.

    My guess is that Debian doesn't have a driver for that card, but you can
    probably use ndiswrapper (or a commercial driver wrapper like Linuxant's
    driverloader) to use the Window XP driver. However, to set that up,
    you'll need at least the bootable Base install.

    If you're set on doing a network install: To eliminate a lot of
    headaches, I would suggest that you buy or borrow a wired PCMCIA network
    card based on the Realtek chipset, most of which use the 8139too driver,
    which is included on all Linux distros. After the install is complete,
    you can set up the wireless card.

    > So how do I install an Debian on my notebook?

    For what you want to install, you don't need to do a net install. Just
    download and burn the first two CDs of the series, do a Custom install,
    so you can pick which things and only which things get installed. You
    won't need X or any GUI desktop or X-based apps. (This is going to be
    just a server, after all.) Those 2 CDs will probably be all you'll need
    to get up and running, and set up your network, so if you need anything
    that's not on the first 2 CDs, you can get from the online repositories,
    which can be set up during the install, if your wireless card can be
    configured or after the install, if it can't However, if it's not, since
    the Debian package manager, apt-get or aptitude, takes care of all
    dependencies, if it needs a package that's on another CD, it will tell
    you which one, and you can download just that disk.

    The following link should help, too:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/host...a-1700-debian/

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread