No /dev/fd0 on Debian Etch install - Setup

This is a discussion on No /dev/fd0 on Debian Etch install - Setup ; I installed Debian Etch on a Pentium 200/64MB. All is well except the 1.44MB floppy doesn't mount. From DMESG: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use When I attempt to mount the drive: # mount /dev/fd0 ...

  1. No /dev/fd0 on Debian Etch install

    I installed Debian Etch on a Pentium 200/64MB. All is well
    except the 1.44MB floppy doesn't mount.

    From DMESG:
    Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
    floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use <---- ??

    When I attempt to mount the drive:
    # mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy -t vfat
    mount special device /dev/fd0 does not exist

    Floppy show up in BIOS and can be used with boot diskette
    or SmartBootManager.

    How do I get it to work under Etch?

  2. Re: No /dev/fd0 on Debian Etch install

    Roby wrote:

    > I installed Debian Etch on a Pentium 200/64MB. All is well
    > except the 1.44MB floppy doesn't mount.
    >
    > From DMESG:
    > Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
    > floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use <---- ??
    >
    > When I attempt to mount the drive:
    > # mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy -t vfat
    > mount special device /dev/fd0 does not exist
    >
    > Floppy show up in BIOS and can be used with boot diskette
    > or SmartBootManager.
    >
    > How do I get it to work under Etch?

    The solution:

    Add kernel command-line parameter pnpbios=off
    Add floppy to /etc/modules
    Reboot

    Another small victory of tenacity over ignorance.

  3. Re: No /dev/fd0 on Debian Etch install

    Roby writes:

    > Add kernel command-line parameter pnpbios=off
    > Add floppy to /etc/modules
    > Reboot
    >
    > Another small victory of tenacity over ignorance.

    Weird. The pnpbios did that, made the floppy unreadable?

    Looks like maybe you just needed the module.

    --
    [** America, the police state **]
    Whoooose! What's that noise? Why, it's US citizen's

+ Reply to Thread