Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM. - Setup

This is a discussion on Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM. - Setup ; I have loaded a new Shuttle XPC AM2-6000 with Debian Etch. (Several times). It has a Sata drive with an IDE attached DVD and an nVidia MB. The bios shows the drive setup to be... IDE Channel 0 Slave (the ...

  1. Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    I have loaded a new Shuttle XPC AM2-6000 with Debian Etch. (Several
    times). It has a Sata drive with an IDE attached DVD and an nVidia MB.

    The bios shows the drive setup to be...
    IDE Channel 0 Slave (the DVD)
    IDE Channel 2 Master (the Sata)

    My /etc/fstab is as follows...
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /reiserfs notail 0 1
    /dev/sda3 /etchmirror reiserfs defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

    Obviously the box sees the DVD drive during inital installing. It does a
    normal Debian install but after booting into the new system, the DVD drive
    can't be found.

    If I mount /media/cdrom0 I get the message... mount: special device
    /dev/hdb does not exist

    Trying to mount it at /dev/hdb or /dev/hdb1, or /dev/hdc or anywhere else
    just gives the normal message that it needs the file system type. If I
    supply it, it goes back to not existing. Going through DMESG line by line
    doesn't show any reference to a DVD/CDROM or hdx drive anywhere.
    Interestingly, it does load the FD0 driver, even though clicked it off in
    setup.

    Troubleshooting help, anyone?

    Araminska

  2. Re: Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    araminska wrote:
    > I have loaded a new Shuttle XPC AM2-6000 with Debian Etch. (Several
    > times). It has a Sata drive with an IDE attached DVD and an nVidia MB.
    >
    > The bios shows the drive setup to be...
    > IDE Channel 0 Slave (the DVD)
    > IDE Channel 2 Master (the Sata)
    >
    > My /etc/fstab is as follows...
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > /dev/sda1 /reiserfs notail 0 1
    > /dev/sda3 /etchmirror reiserfs defaults 0 2
    > /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
    > /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    >
    > Obviously the box sees the DVD drive during inital installing. It does a
    > normal Debian install but after booting into the new system, the DVD drive
    > can't be found.
    >
    > If I mount /media/cdrom0 I get the message... mount: special device
    > /dev/hdb does not exist
    >
    > Trying to mount it at /dev/hdb or /dev/hdb1, or /dev/hdc or anywhere else
    > just gives the normal message that it needs the file system type. If I
    > supply it, it goes back to not existing. Going through DMESG line by line
    > doesn't show any reference to a DVD/CDROM or hdx drive anywhere.
    > Interestingly, it does load the FD0 driver, even though clicked it off in
    > setup.
    >
    > Troubleshooting help, anyone?

    Ah..yes.. Ive got a system like that online somewhere..

    On my system here which is IDE, the CD rom drive is /dev/hdc. and the
    fstab entry you have there should work if modded..but I still need to
    manually mount it ..not figgered how to automount it yet.

    Here is the fstab from an etch system with SATA drive, and ~IIRC a DVD
    on IDE..
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/sda9 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda7 /tmp ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda5 /usr ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda8 /var ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda6 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

    So that may work for you..

    > Araminska

  3. Re: Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:23:52 +0000, araminska wrote:

    > I have loaded a new Shuttle XPC AM2-6000 with Debian Etch. (Several
    > times). It has a Sata drive with an IDE attached DVD and an nVidia MB.
    >
    > The bios shows the drive setup to be... IDE Channel 0 Slave (the DVD)
    > IDE Channel 2 Master (the Sata)

    Is your SATA drive connected to an IDE socket or a SATA socket: ribbon
    cable versus tiny, narrow sata cable?

    I have a similar set up--one sata HD and IDE DVD--but the DVD is not a
    slave, but a master on the first IDE socket. So, it's /dev/hda and the
    sata HD is /dev/sda

    > My /etc/fstab is as follows...
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > /dev/sda1 /reiserfs notail 0 1
    > /dev/sda3 /etchmirror reiserfs defaults 0 2 /dev/sda2 none swap sw
    > 0 0
    > /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

    Maybe, the DVD is not hdb. Try this in a terminal: ls -l /dev/cdrom and
    set what the symbolic link points to. Mine points to hda.

    Also, when you try to mount, do you have a disk in the drive? You need
    one to "mount" it.

    > Obviously the box sees the DVD drive during inital installing. It does
    > [snip]

    Stef

  4. Re: Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    > Is your SATA drive connected to an IDE socket or a SATA socket: ribbon
    > cable versus tiny, narrow sata cable?

    With a standard sata cable. How can you hook up a sata drive to an ide
    channel?

    > I have a similar set up--one sata HD and IDE DVD--but the DVD is not a
    > slave, but a master on the first IDE socket. So, it's /dev/hda and the
    > sata HD is /dev/sda
    >

    > Maybe, the DVD is not hdb. Try this in a terminal: ls -l /dev/cdrom and
    > set what the symbolic link points to.

    ls -l /dev/cdrom gives no such file or directory. But it is a good idea
    so I wrote a script to query every possible drive designation. All gave
    the no such file message except for sda which is the sata.

    > Also, when you try to mount, do you have a disk in the drive? You need
    > one to "mount" it.

    Yep

    Araminska

  5. Re: Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:07:24 +0000, araminska wrote:

    >> Is your SATA drive connected to an IDE socket or a SATA socket: ribbon
    >> cable versus tiny, narrow sata cable?

    > With a standard sata cable. How can you hook up a sata drive to an ide
    > channel?

    You can't. It was a crude way to verify that the hard drive was a SATA
    drive and that you know the difference. (You'd be surprised how many
    people get confused: SATA? SCSI? IDE?)

    Okay. one SATA hard drive: sda. Why do you have your IDE DVD drive set
    as a Slave? If you have no other IDE drives/devices, it should be a
    Master, and, if it's a Master on the Primary IDE controller, it should be
    hda.

    Make the change, if it is the only IDE drive and edit its listing in
    fstab to reflect this. Verify that it is hda. And make a symbolic link
    from /dev/cdrom --> hda, if there is a /dev/cdrom device. Reboot and see
    if it works.

    Stef

  6. Re: Debian Etch new install - no DVDROM.

    Stefan Patric writes:

    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:07:24 +0000, araminska wrote:

    > Okay. one SATA hard drive: sda. Why do you have your IDE DVD drive set
    > as a Slave? If you have no other IDE drives/devices, it should be a
    > Master, and, if it's a Master on the Primary IDE controller, it should be
    > hda.

    This depends on how you have them plugged into the controller.

    > Make the change, if it is the only IDE drive and edit its listing in
    > fstab to reflect this. Verify that it is hda. And make a symbolic link
    > from /dev/cdrom --> hda, if there is a /dev/cdrom device. Reboot and see
    > if it works.

    fstab is irrelavent, it is just for fsck and automounting. Mine makes
    no mention of any cdrom on any machine (but I did add the USB drive
    because I hate typing the word "usb_storage"):

    # file system mount point vsftype options dump fsck-order
    /dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs defaults 0 0
    configfs /config configfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_storage vfat rw,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,async 0 0

    It mounts like 'mount /dev/hdc /where/ever ' as root.

    You need to see something like this when the system boots:

    Probing IDE interface ide0...
    hda: WDC WD400EB-00JEF0, ATA DISK drive
    hda: selected mode 0x45
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    Probing IDE interface ide1...
    hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX320E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: selected mode 0x42
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hda: max request size: 128KiB
    hda: 78165360 sectors (40020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(100)
    hda: cache flushes supported
    hda: hda1 hda2
    hdc: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

    This is what the kernel sees, and if it doesn't, then fstab can't do
    anything about it. Do you see any such messages? That will tell you
    what your kernel thinks of the cd/dvd rom. If you don't see any such
    messages (your hd? may be another device, the important part is to
    mention something about a CD/DVD) then you may be lacking kernel
    support. I built this kernel, so it is built-in. If you are using a
    distro, you *may* need to load a module. If you need support and it's
    not built-in or a module that exists, you might be looking at a kernel
    re-compile. If this is the case, hop on Google and search for your
    drive with something like "my-drive-name linux kernel config" for
    which config option should be set. You can also look thru the help
    options in kernel build for what each driver supports. This is a last
    option; I'd imagine your distro has support for it someplace already.

    After that you meed to make your symlinks to the actual device, where
    ever it is. 'ln -s /dev/whatever /dev/dvdrom; ln -s /dev/whatever
    /dev/cdrom'. If it fails with 'file exists', and it doesn't point to
    the right place already, delete it (or use ln -sf) and re-make it.

    --
    [** America, the police state **]
    Whoooose! What's that noise? Why, it's US citizen's

+ Reply to Thread