Prob w/ virtual terminals - Setup

This is a discussion on Prob w/ virtual terminals - Setup ; Tom Newton wrote: > I just went through info readline, man (3) readline, man bash, > and usr/doc/readline-5.2/* and that command is not listed > anywhere. Man readline has a section on vi-mode insert and > command mode commands, with: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > I just went through info readline, man (3) readline, man bash,
    > and usr/doc/readline-5.2/* and that command is not listed
    > anywhere. Man readline has a section on vi-mode insert and
    > command mode commands, with:

    Nobody cares. How does zeno solve his virtual terminal problem?

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  2. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-03-01, zeno wrote:

    >> I'm using Ubuntu because it's fairly simple and even has some
    >> resemblance to Winduhs which I dislike because its deliberately
    >> deceptive and confusing for obvious reasons: keeping their
    >> secrets.

    > And a lot of Linux distros are going down that same path.
    > KDE/Gnome, both windows-clone artificial user interfaces, are a
    > major aspect of this downward trend.

    Eric Raymond disagrees with you. So do I. Getting away from the "look, see,
    how clever can we be to include all these features" of user interfaces common
    to the open source world are deadly to both casual and expert users.

    See "The Luxury of Ignorance" for an explanation of the problem, and ways to
    try to address it. Ubuntu seems to be taking Eric's advice very seriously in
    cleaning up user interfaces of many types.

    > I could easily run the GIMP if I wanted to, and any of the
    > applications that come with KDE (only the kdelibs are necessary
    > for that, not KDE itself), or any X application.

    You miss out on useful tools, like a little desktop widget that shows up when
    you plug in a CD so you don't have to go hunting for it, desktop icons for
    popular operations, a consistent scroll bar at the top to commit basic
    operations, drag&drop capability for applications interacting with each other,
    etc. These are not Windows-isms, they're Mac-isms that Windows emulated.

    > I use firefox regularly...But I run my box from 'xterms'.

    Certainly reasonable if you don't find the features helpful. I find many of
    them useful, others less so. (Nautilus should leave my CD drive alone, damn it!)

    > And thinking that the CLI is limited to the non-graphical
    > console environment is simply erroneous.
    >
    >> What consensus is there about
    >> using Debian instead of Ubuntu?

    > Myself (and a lot of other Linux runners) can run any Linux/Unix
    > box, with or without X. If they have monstrosities like Gnome or
    > KDE installed, I just ignore them.

    Heh. Only because I *AM* an expert, and know where the command-line and
    configuration file oddities are buried due to historical experience. I don't
    expect it for my "Aunt Tillie" users, nor should they expect me to make them
    do this. Let them have their GUI's: I also find many of the GUI's quite
    helpful, such as IPtable configuration widgets and DNS setup tools.

    > They are all basically the same under all the eye-candy,
    > the supposedly 'user-friendly' interfaces.
    >
    > No reason you can't do the same thing. Just the most basic
    > knowledge of bash is required.

    No, they're really not. Have you ever tried to sanity-check a complex Nagios
    setup? Trust me, doing that from the command line is painful. Or if you're not
    experienced with the arcaneries of SMB configuration and integrating
    Kerberos into it? The GUI's are a ghod-send.

  3. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    zeno wrote:

    > I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM ThinkCentre and am unable to invoke
    > a virtual terminal from the GUI; all I get is a blank screen, although
    > I can return to the GUI with ctrl-alt-f7. I think it may be a Ubuntu
    > bug having to do with framebuffers but am unable to get any good info
    > from the Ubu people. Can anyone provide info or some fix?

    are you using the NVIDIA propietary drivers?
    AFAIK they've got problem interacting with anything different from plain
    80x25 text console....
    just a guess though...

    ilSimo
    --
    now playing:

    Mighty warrior raise your sword against the seething chaos horde
    Sworn to serve but taught to hate the unseen masters of your fate

    Cirith Ungol - Nadsokor

  4. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > As you can see, one of the patients at the state mental hospital
    > has slipped away from his minders again and gained access to a
    > computer. This happens now and then.
    >
    > I quite reading his gibberish ages ago.

    Were that to be true you wouldn't be making this post would you?
    [Assuming that you meant to write 'quit' that is.]

    > Regardless of which of his 1000 names he is posting under at the
    > moment.

    Mayhap you could, for the enlightenment of the readers of this
    newsgroup, list the 1000, or just 10 of other names under which you
    contend I am posting.

    > He's quite harmless.

    I am indeed! However can the same be said of you? Your comments posted
    in alt.os.linux.slackware for instance,
    > I run as root. A lot of people do. Why shouldn't I? I AM root here.

    > And despite all the paranoid blather such as you have parroted
    > here, we never have any problems because of it.

    run counter to current 'best practice' and allow you to 'shoot yourself
    in the foot', which is purely a problem for you. However were others,
    new to GNU/Linux, to follow your example they may lose data that they
    cannot recover.

    If anyone wants to make a judgment on me via my recorded posts they are
    free to look up my 'profile' in Google Groups, where they should be
    able to find just about every post I've ever made to usenet. You on the
    other hand seem to have a very short record of posts to usenet on
    Google Groups, why, I can't find some posts that you made which *do*
    appear on my clipboard but for some strange reason don't on your page
    on Google Groups, http://tinyurl.com/3y5vhe Your record on Google
    Groups only goes back to February of this year, 69 posts, why is that,
    are you ashamed of what you have posted?

    Or perhaps if seeking your posts we should seek those made under the
    name of Alan Connor?

    It is difficult to try to throw mud at others, and stay clean, if you're
    not prepared to stand by your own record, mines there, where's yours?

    To those tempted to follow any advice given by Tom Newton, Tom N, or
    Alan Connor, I will say be very cautious, check with others on the
    relevant newsgroup and then do see if the question has already been
    answered on either http://www.google.com/linux or
    http://groups.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg

    This post will of course be archived by Google Groups, will Tom's post
    to which it was a response be? If he makes a reply to this post, will
    it be archived in Google Groups? Only time will tell.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of

  5. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    I do hope everyone here is aware of your dear friend Tom's bomb
    threats to peacfull protesters, and ongoing FBI investigation. Check
    the posts in his profile to see more.

  6. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Followup set to alt.religion.scientology.

    On 2008-03-02, peace.keeper.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    > I do hope everyone here is aware of your dear friend Tom's bomb
    > threats to peacfull protesters,

    Never happenned. Here's the link to the post in question:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.r...8656a33e10947a

    > and ongoing FBI investigation. Check
    > the posts in his profile to see more.

    If there was an FBI investigation, I'd have heard from them. I haven't.

    This is from one the creeps on alt.religion.scientology, which is the
    home of a rabid and fanatical anti-scientology hate cult.

    They don't like me posting there. And they are all dumb as bricks.

    Like this troll. What does he think he's accomplishing? I could have
    just ignored it and that would have been that.

    I chose to respond. And that's still that.

    This is the quality of the people in that hate cult. They are
    nasty little backstabbing creeps. He knows that what he posted
    above is a lie. That's why he didn't use his real nic name.
    These folks have no problem telling lies about anyone.
    Especially about Scientologists.

    They are the KKK reborn. Except that they hate Scientologists
    instead of Blacks. They wear masks and wave signs and chant hate
    slogans.

    Nasty bunch.

    No, I'm not a Scientologist. My sig proves that. I don't even
    know much about it. But I know a lot about hate cults and
    people need to be warned about them.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  7. Tom is a scientologist? was Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:
    > Followup set to alt.religion.scientology.
    >
    > On 2008-03-02, peace.keeper.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I do hope everyone here is aware of your dear friend Tom's bomb
    >> threats to peacfull protesters,

    > Never happenned. Here's the link to the post in question:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.r...8656a33e10947a

    Oh, my ghod. He's a full-scale *Scientology* nutjob. OK, I'll drop one last
    note on comp.os.linux.setup as well, because he brought up this claim and
    because I'm known there, and then cooperate with the follow-ups to
    alt.religion.scientology. (I'm also known there, under my pre-marriage name
    Nico Kadel-Garcia: it's in the archives.)

    There's an old tactic by that cult to frighten people by depicting protesters,
    former members, and active opponents of all types as "suppressive persons".
    The behavior of the cult towards such people, especially its own former
    members and especially on Usenet, is a matter of public record and is well
    documented on www.xenu.net. And it includes the policy by L. Ron Hubbard that
    such persons can be lied to, cheated, or stolen from. Again, that's a matter
    of public record.

    There has *NEVER* been a thrown object or firebomb, ever, by a cult protester,
    and I've been at a few of these protests (due to the cult's attempts to censor
    Usenet). I've looked, and I can't find a single instance. There is a record of
    Scientology making such claims, and even of *planting* bomb threats to
    discredit critics: this is exactly what happened to the author of the "Scandal
    of Scientology" book, Paulette Cooper. There is also a massive history of
    fraud and abuse and harassment by lawsuit for people who reveal their cult's
    behavior, incliding Time Magazine's article "The Cult of Greed", and the cult
    has been suffering from serious shrinkage of membership for decades now as its
    secrets are exposed early.

    Hop over to www.xenu.net to see the history of this sort of wackiness. It's
    been going on for 12 years that I've *personally* gotten involved in that
    problem, and I've been written into Scientology's censorware that they put on
    their members published websites. (It was a version of Net Nanny, and they put
    me in twice, but mis-spelled my name both times.)

  8. Re: User interface ranting, was Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > KDE/Gnome are collections of graphical applications that run
    > in a GUI. That's all.

    KDE and Gnome are sets of GUI's, written to particular sets of standards and
    with conventions about shared information.

    Go look up the word "GUI". (The fancy Scientologist word for this is
    "word-clear". Go word-clear it, Tom.) It seems perfectly reasonable to
    describe a set of standards for other graphical user interfaces, including the
    integrated window managers themselves, as "GUI"'s.

    > The interface I use is no more difficult to learn than KDE/Gnome.
    >
    > And it takes a small fraction of the system resources.

    I've used twm, vtwm, KDE, Gnome, etc., etc., etc. The available pre-built and
    integrated tools that are part of the KDE and Gnome software bundles (such as
    nautilus) can be quite helpful. They also use only a modest fraction of system
    resource, though not as small as the older and vastly more limited tools you
    seem to prefer.

    Insisting on using only command-line interface for most tools makes them too
    awkward for many people to use. I don't insist that someone understand Linux
    to use it, any more than I insist someone build their own carburetor or change
    their own oil in their own car. And often it's a complete waste of my time to
    use the command line interface. Try administering MySQL from the command line
    if you want, or running a complex DNS operation without some sort of GUI and
    sanity checker incorporated to it.

    > These are facts and I can prove them. I'm doing it right now. That
    > describes the Linux I run. KDE has a window manager. I have a window
    > manager. KDE has an editor, I have an editor. KDE has configuration
    > 'wizards' and I have configuration 'wizards'. KDE has menus and I
    > have menus....
    >
    > Some people just never get over Windows or Mac. They never really
    > enter the Linux world.
    >

    > Tom

    Oh, my. I *predate* Linux. I predate X Windows. I don't quite pre-date UNIX or
    Apple or DOS, but I've certainly worked with them all since their early days.
    And I delight in helping out new folks to find the right tools and right
    answers to accomplish their jobs. This includes teaching them a bit of useful
    philosophy in the practice. And your philosophy seems.... goodness. Even
    greater than mine! That's impressive!

  9. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    I demand that Tom Newton may or may not have written...

    > On 2008-03-02, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Tom Newton wrote:

    [snip]
    >>> I could easily run the GIMP if I wanted to, and any of the applications
    >>> that come with KDE (only the kdelibs are necessary for that, not KDE
    >>> itself), or any X application.

    >> You miss out on useful tools, like a little desktop widget that shows up
    >> when you plug in a CD so you don't have to go hunting for it,

    > Are you serious? I'd have that if I wanted it. My CD happens to
    > be mounted on /cdrom. It's hardly difficult to find.

    Same here, though I'd actually let the system detect when a CD is inserted if
    HAL wouldn't occasionally kill access to the device – kernel bug, I think:
    one process ends up stuck in D state. (hal-disable-polling got rid of the
    problem.)

    [snip]
    > You are addicted to using your mouse. They are slow.

    Depends. Sometimes using the keyboard's slow. (No, I don't plan to expand on
    that.)

    [snip]
    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    This night methinks is but the daylight sick.

  10. Re: User interface ranting, was Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > And who is he talking to? A stinking troll with a thousand names who
    > has posted thousands of malcious articles to and about me.

    To whom do you refer?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of
    alt.os.linux.slackware, and now, seemingly, comp.os.linux.setup and
    comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

  11. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Old Man (bill@witch.lan.invalid) writes:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >> I just went through info readline, man (3) readline, man bash,
    >> and usr/doc/readline-5.2/* and that command is not listed
    >> anywhere. Man readline has a section on vi-mode insert and
    >> command mode commands, with:

    > Nobody cares. How does zeno solve his virtual terminal problem?

    Near as I can tell, he just popped a question into a thread about something
    unrelated, after he posted his rant and got a reply. I went back and looked,
    and he just plonked it in there.

    Then he proceeded to answer himself.

    Michael

  12. Re: User interface ranting, was Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    On 2008-03-02, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:

    I'm here. I disagree with you.

    If I want to talk about the different user interfaces
    avaiable to Linux runners, I'll do it.

    There's nothing you can do about it.

    Throwing a tantrum like a spoiled child isn't accomplishing
    anything but making you look like a stupid ass.

    If you didn't think my arguments had validity, you
    wouldn't be reacting like this.

    You'd either ignore me or defeat me with knowledge and reason.

    Tom

    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  13. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    On 2008-03-02, Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Tom Newton may or may not have written...
    >
    >> On 2008-03-02, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> Tom Newton wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> You miss out on useful tools, like a little desktop widget that shows up
    >>> when you plug in a CD so you don't have to go hunting for it,

    >> Are you serious? I'd have that if I wanted it. My CD happens to
    >> be mounted on /cdrom. It's hardly difficult to find.

    > Same here, though I'd actually let the system detect when a CD is inserted if
    > HAL wouldn't occasionally kill access to the device ? kernel bug, I think:
    > one process ends up stuck in D state. (hal-disable-polling got rid of the
    > problem.)

    I don't use HAL. And nothing I've heard about it makes me want to use it.

    > [snip]
    >> You are addicted to using your mouse. They are slow.

    > Depends. Sometimes using the keyboard's slow. (No, I don't plan to expand on
    > that.)

    I don't know of any circumstances where the keyboard will work that it isn't
    faster than using a mouse. But I suppose it's possible.

    There are apps that are designed to be used exclusively with a mouse...

    If they don't involve drawing, it's an inferior design.

    I use a text mode browser all the time, one called links. It has an option
    that numbers all the links on the page. You just enter a number instead of
    pointing a clicking. It is VERY fast. Wish my graphical browser had the
    same option.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  14. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > I use a text mode browser all the time, one called links.

    If I recall correctly you told us earlier that you used Firefox. It
    can't be both either you use links all the time or sometimes you
    firefox, which is it?

    Is your lack of precision deliberate, to cover up the inconsistencies in
    your periodic statements, or is it just sloppy, as you can't remember
    what you wrote last time?

    --
    Two Ravens
    "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of
    alt.os.linux.slackware, and now, seemingly, comp.os.linux.setup and
    comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

  15. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Two Ravens wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >> I use a text mode browser all the time, one called links.

    > If I recall correctly you told us earlier that you used Firefox. It
    > can't be both either you use links all the time or sometimes you
    > firefox, which is it?
    >
    > Is your lack of precision deliberate, to cover up the inconsistencies in
    > your periodic statements, or is it just sloppy, as you can't remember
    > what you wrote last time?

    Mr. Newton is a troll, either deliberately or through his level of ranting.
    Let's only correct him when he makes factual errors or gives bad advice (which
    I've done) and leave him to his attitudes.

    If he thinks that means he's "won", leave him to it. The rest of us have
    better hobbies to enjoy, like actually helping out people on this newsgroup.

  16. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    On Mar 2, 6:18 am, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    > > As you can see, one of the patients at the state mental hospital
    > > has slipped away from his minders again and gained access to a
    > > computer. This happens now and then.

    > > I quite reading his gibberish ages ago.

    > Were that to be true you wouldn't be making this post would you?
    > [Assuming that you meant to write 'quit' that is.]
    >
    > > Regardless of which of his 1000 names he is posting under at the
    > > moment.

    > Mayhap you could, for the enlightenment of the readers of this
    > newsgroup, list the 1000, or just 10 of other names under which you
    > contend I am posting.
    >
    > > He's quite harmless.

    > I am indeed! However can the same be said of you? Your comments posted
    > in alt.os.linux.slackware for instance,
    >
    > > I run as root. A lot of people do. Why shouldn't I? I AM root here.
    > > And despite all the paranoid blather such as you have parroted
    > > here, we never have any problems because of it.

    > run counter to current 'best practice' and allow you to 'shoot yourself
    > in the foot', which is purely a problem for you. However were others,
    > new to GNU/Linux, to follow your example they may lose data that they
    > cannot recover.
    >
    > If anyone wants to make a judgment on me via my recorded posts they are
    > free to look up my 'profile' in Google Groups, where they should be
    > able to find just about every post I've ever made to usenet. You on the
    > other hand seem to have a very short record of posts to usenet on
    > Google Groups, why, I can't find some posts that you made which *do*
    > appear on my clipboard but for some strange reason don't on your page
    > on Google Groups,http://tinyurl.com/3y5vheYour record on Google
    > Groups only goes back to February of this year, 69 posts, why is that,
    > are you ashamed of what you have posted?
    >
    > Or perhaps if seeking your posts we should seek those made under the
    > name of Alan Connor?
    >
    > It is difficult to try to throw mud at others, and stay clean, if you're
    > not prepared to stand by your own record, mines there, where's yours?
    >
    > To those tempted to follow any advice given by Tom Newton, Tom N, or
    > Alan Connor, I will say be very cautious, check with others on the
    > relevant newsgroup and then do see if the question has already been
    > answered on eitherhttp://www.google.com/linuxorhttp://groups.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg
    >
    > This post will of course be archived by Google Groups, will Tom's post
    > to which it was a response be? If he makes a reply to this post, will
    > it be archived in Google Groups? Only time will tell.
    > --
    > Two Ravens
    > "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of
    > alt.os.linux.slackware, and now, seemingly, comp.os.linux.setup and
    > comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

    Now that all of you expressed yourselves, would somebody follow OLD
    MANs suggestion and help me find an answer to my problem concerning
    virtual terminals. I use whatever helps me write essays, paint/view
    images, search the internet or my own box be it CLI or GUI in whatever
    flavor. I respond by turning people onto Linux and telling them why
    it has both political, cultural and technological gifts to people that
    are at odds with Microsoft/Capitalists.
    So regarding some of my files: it's true that ubuntu replaced /etc/
    inittab? with telenit and other /etc files but I've checked them and
    they seem to have the correct code. So why can't I get virtual
    consoles (or ttys) and have to rely only on the terminal that comes
    out on top of Gnome? I have a few other problems but I would very
    much like to solve first things first.
    TIA

    Geoffrey

  17. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    zeno (geoffrey.froner@gmail.com) writes:

    > So regarding some of my files: it's true that ubuntu replaced /etc/
    > inittab? with telenit and other /etc files but I've checked them and
    > they seem to have the correct code. So why can't I get virtual
    > consoles (or ttys) and have to rely only on the terminal that comes
    > out on top of Gnome? I have a few other problems but I would very
    > much like to solve first things first.
    > TIA

    I gather that some distributions run at level 4 (or something like that)
    so you never get the consoles. I also gather if that is the case, one of
    them is active, soemthing like F6 or F7.

    I have to gather because I only know about my distribution.

    Also, having recently done an upgrade, and left something out that I thought
    I didn't need, you can get into a situation where the function keys don't
    get noticed by the GUI, so instead of snagging the alt-ctrl-function keys
    to switch to a console, the keypresses get passed to the applications. The
    only way I could get out of the GUI was by quitting it. It was only when
    I noticed that pressing alt-ctrl-function keys while in an xterm put
    characters on the screen that I realized this. I checked, and found
    what I was missing, installed it, and the problem went away.

    Michael

  18. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    zeno wrote:
> [...]

    >> comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

    > Now that all of you expressed yourselves, would somebody follow OLD
    > MANs suggestion and help me find an answer to my problem concerning
    > virtual terminals. I use whatever helps me write essays, paint/view
    > images, search the internet or my own box be it CLI or GUI in whatever
    > flavor. I respond by turning people onto Linux and telling them why
    > it has both political, cultural and technological gifts to people that
    > are at odds with Microsoft/Capitalists.

    > So regarding some of my files: it's true that ubuntu replaced /etc/
    > inittab? with telenit and other /etc files but I've checked them and
    > they seem to have the correct code. So why can't I get virtual
    > consoles (or ttys) and have to rely only on the terminal that comes
    > out on top of Gnome? I have a few other problems but I would very

    What kind of virtual terminals are you looking for? VNC style graphical
    sessions that store their state and can be re-connected to, or screen style
    shell sessions that can also be disconnected and returned to? xterm instead of
    that odd Gnome terminal window? Or what?

  19. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Two Ravens wrote:
    >> Tom Newton wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use a text mode browser all the time, one called links.

    >> If I recall correctly you told us earlier that you used Firefox. It
    >> can't be both either you use links all the time or sometimes you
    >> firefox, which is it?
    >>
    >> Is your lack of precision deliberate, to cover up the inconsistencies in
    >> your periodic statements, or is it just sloppy, as you can't remember
    >> what you wrote last time?

    > Mr. Newton is a troll, either deliberately or through his level of
    > ranting. Let's only correct him when he makes factual errors or gives
    > bad advice (which I've done) and leave him to his attitudes.
    >
    > If he thinks that means he's "won", leave him to it. The rest of us have
    > better hobbies to enjoy, like actually helping out people on this
    > newsgroup.

    Quite right.
    All of Tom's posts have been either;
    A. Arrogant.
    B. Unhelpful.
    C. Irritating.
    D. All of the above.

    Mostly 'D'.

    Bill Baka

  20. Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    > While your suggestion would work on most other distros, it appears that Ubuntu
    > doesn't use the /etc/inittab at all. Instead, it uses scripts in the
    > /etc/event.d directory to manage the process. The OP should check that the
    > scripts /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] exist, and contain the requisite
    > ~ exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty?
    > line, along with the rest of the wrapper script.
    >
    > FWIW, Canonical replaced the usual init(8) with one of their own; telinit
    > (which is a hardlink to init) returns
    > ~ telininit (upstart 0.3.8)
    > ~ Copyright (C) 2007 Canonical Ltd.
    > when I execute "telinit --version" on my Ubuntu system.

    Ubuntu is stranger than I previously thought. They are truely creating
    their own animal, mutated off of GNU/Linux and/or Unix (like Mac OSX).

    --
    [** America, the police state **]
    Whoooose! What's that noise? Why, it's US citizen's