Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader? - Setup

This is a discussion on Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader? - Setup ; Jean-David Beyer writes: > So you better use encryption, and I suggest you use it on all your > e-mail. If you use it only on "sensitive" stuff, that would be a flag on > your sensitive communications. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    Jean-David Beyer writes:
    > So you better use encryption, and I suggest you use it on all your
    > e-mail. If you use it only on "sensitive" stuff, that would be a flag on
    > your sensitive communications.

    I have no "sensitive" communications, nor do I labor under the delusion
    that I am important enough to be spied on by any government.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  2. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > I'd certainly want to use POP3 and delete them immediately off the server
    > by default.

    Which I do, but not because of any silly belief that the government deems
    me worthy of being spied on.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > Really? Then no other mail client connecting via POP3 can see those
    > messages, and your local mail client is the only storage for all
    > important email. That's.... generally a really bad idea.

    The only client here that connects via POP3 is Fetchmail, which passes the
    mail to Exim for local delivery, where I can read it with whatever MUA I
    choose. My mail is, of course, backed up locally. If any of it was really
    important I would arrange off-site backup. If I needed remote access I
    would set up an IMAP server.

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    On 26 Feb, 01:04, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > >> I'd certainly want to use POP3 and delete them immediately off the
    > >> server by default.;-)

    > > Really? Then no other mail client connecting via POP3 can see those
    > > messages, and your local mail client is the only storage for all
    > > important email. That's.... generally a really bad idea. It's even worse
    > > if you're one of those people who uses their email as their
    > > institutional memory and file cabinet.

    > It is PURELY a matter of whether ior not you are existing in a corporate
    > environenment, where the company 'owns' the data and local storage is
    > anathema,as you may be hot desking, or whether you are an individual and
    > the last thing you want is the ISP 'owning' your data..
    >
    > Just trying to make YOU understand that sets of rules derived out of
    > YOUR specific experience in ONE specific context are not UNIVERSALLY
    > applicable.- Hide quoted text -

    Then it should be an option, not the default. The default deletion of
    mail from the server whenever you download email is extremely
    destructive, in my direct experience.

  4. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 Feb, 01:04, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> Really? Then no other mail client connecting via POP3 can see those
    >>> messages, and your local mail client is the only storage for all
    >>> important email. That's.... generally a really bad idea. It's even worse
    >>> if you're one of those people who uses their email as their
    >>> institutional memory and file cabinet.

    >> It is PURELY a matter of whether ior not you are existing in a corporate
    >> environenment, where the company 'owns' the data and local storage is
    >> anathema,as you may be hot desking, or whether you are an individual and
    >> the last thing you want is the ISP 'owning' your data..
    >>
    >> Just trying to make YOU understand that sets of rules derived out of
    >> YOUR specific experience in ONE specific context are not UNIVERSALLY
    >> applicable.- Hide quoted text -

    > Then it should be an option, not the default. The default deletion of
    > mail from the server whenever you download email is extremely
    > destructive, in my direct experience.

    Well on all POP3 clients I have used it is an option.

    Not used that many on LINUX to be sure..

  5. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >> Then it should be an option, not the default. The default deletion of
    >> mail from the server whenever you download email is extremely
    >> destructive, in my direct experience.

    > Well on all POP3 clients I have used it is an option.
    >
    > Not used that many on LINUX to be sure..

    I was apparently unclear. Deleting all your POP3 mail accessible mail from the
    server the first time you run any POP3 client It should be a *manually
    selected option*, not the default that strips it all and screws up all your
    mailboxes on other clients the first time you turn on the client and have the
    network cable connected.

    Been there, done that, have the T-shirt of restoring several Gig of important
    corporate person's email in their client folders despite their unwillingness
    to switch to IMAP or to allow proper backups of their laptop. I shudder at the
    memories.

  6. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    On 2008-02-24, plenty900@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Is there a console based mail reader similar to pine that does?

    Rather than join the rather convoluted discussions that have followed
    your question, which I will admit that I cannot completely follow, can
    I suggest the program mutt?

    I am not familiar with pine but I believe that it is no longer being
    developed while work on mutt continues. If you took up another
    suggestion from the long discussion and moved to gmail there are
    directions here:

    http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html

    Blatantly selling my own page :-) To add IMAP is fairly
    straightforward if you want that. Configure mutt with a few extra
    settings:

    ../configure --enable-imap --enable-smtp --enable-hcache --with-ssl
    --with-sasl

    and add a few ~/.muttrc settings:

    #==============
    set spoolfile = imaps://imap.gmail.com:993/INBOX
    set imap_user = 'Full_Gmail_address'
    set imap_pass = '*******'
    set smtp_url="smtp://username@smtp.gmail.com:587/"
    set smtp_pass = '*******'
    set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com:993
    set postponed="imaps://imap.gmail.com/[Gmail]/Drafts"
    set record=""
    set imap_check_subscribed="yes"
    set imap_list_subscribed="yes"
    set header_cache="~/.mutt/hcache/"
    set message_cachedir="~/.mutt/msgcache/"
    set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certs
    bind browser view-file
    #================

    And there you have it!

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  7. Re: Is there a good console-based POP3/SMTP compatible mail reader?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:

    > Pine documentation has always been.... poorly integrated. Which
    > version of Pine are you using? And on what distribution of Linux? Many
    > of them have discarded official distribution of Pine due to its
    > freakish licensing.

    I've had no trouble with Pine docs. Besides, how many Linux apps have
    in-app documentation? You do know Pine is no more, right?

    http://www.washington.edu/alpine/

    --
    [** America, the police state **]
    Whoooose! What's that noise? Why, it's US citizen's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2