linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible - Setup

This is a discussion on linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible - Setup ; Hi, I've just compiled a shiny new linux-2.6.24 from "vanilla" sources on my Debian Lenny, using an old and well tested .config from my previous vanilla linux-2.6.20. Now when I run /sbin/lilo I get the following error: # /sbin/lilo Reading ...

  1. linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible

    Hi,

    I've just compiled a shiny new linux-2.6.24 from "vanilla" sources on my
    Debian Lenny, using an old and well tested .config from my previous
    vanilla linux-2.6.20.

    Now when I run /sbin/lilo I get the following error:

    # /sbin/lilo
    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Cannot proceed. Maybe you need to add this to your lilo.conf:
    disk=/dev/hda inaccessible
    (real error shown below)
    Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

    while in /var/log/messages:

    kernel: audit(1203866001.827:4): avc: granted null for pid=3336
    comm="lilo.real" name="hda" dev=tmpfs ino=1035 scontext=kernel
    tcontext=unlabeled tclass=blk_file

    Everything works fine if I use my old linux-2.6.20 with the same
    /etc/lilo.conf.

    Anyone knows what has changed in linux-2.6.24 that makes /dev/hda
    inaccessible?

    Thanks for answering.

  2. Re: linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  3. Re: linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible

    HamRadio writes:

    > Anyone knows what has changed in linux-2.6.24 that makes /dev/hda
    > inaccessible?

    Not sure as far as your block dev goes, but I ran this kernel for
    about 2-3 days then went back to 2.6.23.17 due to the problems with
    it. It broke SCO/bluetooth for my headset, kernel panicked on
    xt_TARPIT, kernel panicked with some strange message about
    'kernel/timer.c: 607 invalid opcode 0000 [#1]' when trying to pair my
    phone and computer via bluetooth, broke eCryptfs user-space tools
    (supposedly due to netlink changes) which renders eCryptfs unablable
    as there's no way to use any kernel support without user-space tools,
    and saw two segfaults from proftpd (on two different machines). Not to
    mention the changes I had to make to get my modem's kmod to compile
    again, and also svga_helper. Stay away from 2.6.24.x at all costs.

    --
    [** America, the police state **]
    Whoooose! What's that noise? Why, it's US citizen's

  4. Re: linux-2.6.24 makes /dev/hda inaccessible

    On 2008-03-11, jayjwa wrote:

    > Stay away from 2.6.24.x at all costs.

    Hmmm... slackware-current just moved to that:

    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

+ Reply to Thread