Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy] - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy] - Setup ; :-) On 2008-02-24, Richard James wrote: > For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which shows > what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like > http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/ > > That blog is a ...

  1. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    :-)

    On 2008-02-24, Richard James wrote:
    > For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which shows
    > what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like
    > http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/
    >
    > That blog is a translation to English from a Polish blog post. If you
    > visit the Polish blog you can see a few more screenshots of KDE 4
    > http://jarzebski.pl
    >
    > Richard James

    Your sig:

    "If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    belong."

    Can't figure out whether you are trying to mislead people or are just
    ignorant.

    I normally use a GUI. X and a window manager. When I startx 9 windows open with
    various applications, from bash to system info to a datebook to an
    email client, etc.

    I use a mouse to cut&paste all the time.

    I can run any X application you can. Including any of the "K" applications.
    You don't need to run KDE to use them.

    And I run Linux from the command line.

    Calling a large collection of apps like KDE a "GUI" is simply not accurate.

    KDE/Gnome and such, are BUILT on a GUI. It forms their foundation. But
    GUIs existed long before any of those monstrosities did, and exist
    quite independently of them today.

    Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop Environment,
    are that I save massive amounts of system resources for better purposes,
    Have a much simpler and more stable and secure system, and I can run
    almost any Linux/Unix box in existence whether it has X or not or KDE
    (etc.) or not.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | Artificial Intelligence:
    gmail [DOT] com | When the real thing just won't do.

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop Environment,
    > are that I save massive amounts of system resources for better purposes,

    like posting endless, stupid drivel on usenet.

    > Have a much simpler and more stable and secure system,

    because, as we all know, logging in exclusively as root is an excellent
    security practice.

    > and I can run
    > almost any Linux/Unix box in existence whether it has X or not or KDE
    > (etc.) or not.

    No, you cannot. What you can do is login as root, play with bash (badly),
    and screw things up. You have demonstrated this repeatedly by posting a
    series of poorly thought-out, lame ideas that you like to call ODE. ODE is
    not a system. It's just you self-stimulating. You really should not do
    that in public.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop
    > Environment, are that I save massive amounts of system resources for
    > better purposes...

    a) Please quantify the amount of resources you save.

    b) what are the better purposes upon which you expend these 'saved'
    resources?

    --
    Two Ravens
    Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of

  4. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 02:54:41 -0800, Tom Newton wrote:

    >> Richard James

    > Your sig:
    >
    > "If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    > startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    > you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    > belong."
    >
    > Can't figure out whether you are trying to mislead people or are just
    > ignorant.

    Actually my sig is designed to piss you off. Seems to be working just
    fine. Note I have a new sig guess who that is meant to piss off?

    Richard James

    --
    "Slackware" an African word meaning you don't have any people skills

  5. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Followup set to comp.os.linux.setup.

    On 2008-03-07, Richard James wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 02:54:41 -0800, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >>> Richard James

    >> Your sig:
    >>
    >> "If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    >> startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    >> you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    >> belong."
    >>
    >> Can't figure out whether you are trying to mislead people or are just
    >> ignorant.

    > Actually my sig is designed to piss you off.

    I knew that. You know more about computers than I do.

    > Seems to be working just fine.

    Not at all. I was just happy to have another opportunity to educate
    the newbies in this area.

    It was much appreciated.

    > Note I have a new sig guess who that is meant to piss off?
    >
    > Richard James
    >
    >--
    > "Slackware" an African word meaning you don't have any people skills.

    Patrick Volkerding? Hundreds of millions of Africans?

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  6. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Not at all. I was just happy to have another opportunity to educate
    > the newbies in this area.

    How are you educating "the newbies in this area", when you don't even
    seem to be able to understand a question about 'menuconfig', (from your
    replies so far, on another newsgroup), all you have managed to do is
    prove that that you know nothing of the matter for which you are
    offering solutions, solutions which are totally useless as they are
    solutions to a problem the OP did not have!

    As others have pointed out, and as I will re-iterate, your advice is
    often wrong and in several cases runs counter to 'best' or even 'safe
    practice'.

    In this case you are missing Richard's references. (Which admittedly are
    subtle and allow for personal interpretation.)
    --
    Two Ravens
    "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of
    alt.os.linux.slackware, and now, seemingly, comp.os.linux.setup and
    comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

+ Reply to Thread