Microphone does not work in Fedora 8 - Setup

This is a discussion on Microphone does not work in Fedora 8 - Setup ; Dear All, I do not know where to start debugging this problem. Yesterday I bought a Cosonic microphone and attached it to the microphone marked port at the rear (red color). Speakers attached to the same sound card port (green) ...

  1. Microphone does not work in Fedora 8

    Dear All,
    I do not know where to start debugging this problem. Yesterday I
    bought a Cosonic microphone and attached it to the microphone marked
    port at the rear (red color). Speakers attached to the same sound card
    port (green) are working fine. But I can not seem to record using this
    microphone.

    I have tried using audacity and arecord. But none of this work.

    This is the output from arecord,

    [root@rafid ~]# arecord -l
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH7]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH7 -
    MIC ADC]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH7
    - MIC2 ADC]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH7 -
    ADC2]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

    I can not find anything here to see whether the microphone is working
    or not. Is there tool or tutorial over the net to debug the problem I
    am facing?

    From google I did not find anything useful.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Microphone does not work in Fedora 8

    Masroor wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I do not know where to start debugging this problem. Yesterday I
    > bought a Cosonic microphone and attached it to the microphone marked
    > port at the rear (red color). Speakers attached to the same sound card
    > port (green) are working fine. But I can not seem to record using this
    > microphone.
    >
    > I have tried using audacity and arecord. But none of this work.
    >
    > This is the output from arecord,
    >
    > [root@rafid ~]# arecord -l
    > **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH7]
    > Subdevices: 1/1
    > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH7 -
    > MIC ADC]
    > Subdevices: 1/1
    > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH7
    > - MIC2 ADC]
    > Subdevices: 1/1
    > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH7 -
    > ADC2]
    > Subdevices: 1/1
    > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    >
    > I can not find anything here to see whether the microphone is working
    > or not. Is there tool or tutorial over the net to debug the problem I
    > am facing?
    >
    > From google I did not find anything useful.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The input volume defaults to zero else it would introduce noise into other
    audio sources.

    Find some kind of the control for audio volume and raise the gain to
    something other than zero.

  3. Re: Microphone does not work in Fedora 8

    On Feb 2, 7:35*am, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Masroor wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > > I do not know where to start debugging this problem. Yesterday I
    > > bought a Cosonic microphone and attached it to the microphone marked
    > > port at the rear (red color). Speakers attached to the same sound card
    > > port (green) are working fine. But I can not seem to record using this
    > > microphone.

    > > I have tried using audacity and arecord. But none of this work.

    > > This is the output from arecord,

    > > [root@rafid ~]# arecord -l
    > > **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    > > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH7]
    > > * Subdevices: 1/1
    > > * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH7 -
    > > MIC ADC]
    > > * Subdevices: 1/1
    > > * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH7
    > > - MIC2 ADC]
    > > * Subdevices: 1/1
    > > * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    > > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH7 -
    > > ADC2]
    > > * Subdevices: 1/1
    > > * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

    > > I can not find anything here to see whether *the microphone is working
    > > or not. Is there tool or tutorial over the net to debug the problem I
    > > am facing?

    > > From google I did not find anything useful.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > * * * * The input volume defaults to zero else it would introduce noise into other
    > audio sources.
    >
    > * * * * Find some kind of the control for audio volume and raise the gain to
    > something other than zero.

    Is there no way to record both line-in and microphone at the same
    time? -- At least is there some predictable way to record with
    arecord without having to go into alsamixer and selecting the correct
    source?

  4. Re: Microphone does not work in Fedora 8

    "hackeron@gmail.com" (hackeron@gmail.com) writes:
    > On Feb 2, 7:35=A0am, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Masroor wrote:
    >> > Dear All,
    >> > I do not know where to start debugging this problem. Yesterday I
    >> > bought a Cosonic microphone and attached it to the microphone marked
    >> > port at the rear (red color). Speakers attached to the same sound card
    >> > port (green) are working fine. But I can not seem to record using this
    >> > microphone.

    >> > I have tried using audacity and arecord. But none of this work.

    >> > This is the output from arecord,

    >> > [root@rafid ~]# arecord -l
    >> > **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    >> > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH7]
    >> > =A0 Subdevices: 1/1
    >> > =A0 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    >> > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH7 -
    >> > MIC ADC]
    >> > =A0 Subdevices: 1/1
    >> > =A0 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    >> > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH7
    >> > - MIC2 ADC]
    >> > =A0 Subdevices: 1/1
    >> > =A0 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    >> > card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH7 -
    >> > ADC2]
    >> > =A0 Subdevices: 1/1
    >> > =A0 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

    >> > I can not find anything here to see whether =A0the microphone is working=

    >> > or not. Is there tool or tutorial over the net to debug the problem I
    >> > am facing?

    >> > From google I did not find anything useful.

    >> > Thanks in advance.

    >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The input volume defaults to zero else it would introduce =

    > noise into other
    >> audio sources.
    >>
    >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Find some kind of the control for audio volume and raise t=

    > he gain to
    >> something other than zero.

    > Is there no way to record both line-in and microphone at the same
    > time? -- At least is there some predictable way to record with
    > arecord without having to go into alsamixer and selecting the correct
    > source?

    I've never seen any method of selecting more than one input at a time.
    In order to make that useable, you'd also need to have two controls
    for input gain, so you could adjust the two inputs independently. Otherwise,
    you'd have to live with whatever levels were coming into the soundcard.

    I don't get the second question. The recording app takes whatever it's
    sent. The mixer app selects what to "output" and the various levels.

    Unless you have some recording app that includes the mixer function, you
    will have to run a mixer application. And I don't recall seeing a recording
    application that includes a built in mixer; if you're lucky it will have
    a button to press to invoke an external mixer.

    You can save the settings from when you run a mixer. WOuld that be your
    question? So if you're only recording from the microphone input, you
    can set it up in a mixer and then save it, so you don't have to constantly
    do the adjustments. A little work, and you could have two (or even more)
    files containing the mixer settings, and by invoking one of them, get
    the desired input selection at the right level.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread