How do you install new hard disk drivers on installation and recoverydisks - Setup

This is a discussion on How do you install new hard disk drivers on installation and recoverydisks - Setup ; What is the approach for install drivers which are not already packaged in Linux? I am getting 2 PCI hard disk controllers and I will need to add the drivers to my installations as well as the recovery disks such ...

  1. How do you install new hard disk drivers on installation and recoverydisks

    What is the approach for install drivers which are not already
    packaged in Linux?

    I am getting 2 PCI hard disk controllers and I will need to add the
    drivers to my installations as well as the recovery disks such as
    SystemRescueCD, GParted etc.

    Is there a guide somewhere to show how?

  2. Re: How do you install new hard disk drivers on installation and recovery disks

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:48:27 -0800, vfclists wrote:

    > What is the approach for install drivers which are not already
    > packaged in Linux?
    >
    > I am getting 2 PCI hard disk controllers and I will need to add the
    > drivers to my installations as well as the recovery disks such as
    > SystemRescueCD, GParted etc.
    >
    > Is there a guide somewhere to show how?

    In general, devices which are supported by the Linux kernel have an
    associated device driver. The driver may be built directly into the
    kernel, or the driver may be encapsulated as a kernel module. Using
    modules is one way to minimize the memory footprint of the kernel by not

    If modules for devices (and filesystems, etc.) are required to mount the
    root filesystem, then an initrd may be necessary. The Linux bootloaders
    include provisions to load an initrd. See the documentation for
    your bootloader; I use the grub loader. Also, making an initrd is
    distribution dependant. The "Live CDs" use a root filesystem stored in
    RAM, and not the root filesystem on your new or existing controller. The
    "Live CDs" can be used to determine which chipsets and drivers (modules)
    should be included in your initrd.

    As far as where to look for support, I would start looking at the
    documentation specifically written for the Linux distribution you are
    using with respect to the bootloader, kernel, and initrd.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread