Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd - Setup

This is a discussion on Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd - Setup ; Hello I'm no Linux expert. I installed CentOS 5.1 on an IDE drive, and moved it to an old IBM thinclient: right after Grub runs "initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.img", the PC restarts. FWIW, the thinclient only has 128MB and the HD is ...

  1. Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    Hello

    I'm no Linux expert. I installed CentOS 5.1 on an IDE drive,
    and moved it to an old IBM thinclient: right after Grub runs "initrd
    /boot/initrd-2.6.img", the PC restarts.

    FWIW, the thinclient only has 128MB and the HD is 20GB, one partition,
    and adding mem=128MB to the "kernel" line in Grub doesn't solve the
    issue.

    Any idea what it could be?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On 31 Dec, 07:57, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > * * * * I'm no Linux expert. I installed CentOS 5.1 on an IDE drive,
    > and moved it to an old IBM thinclient: right after Grub runs "initrd
    > /boot/initrd-2.6.img", the PC restarts.
    >
    > FWIW, the thinclient only has 128MB and the HD is 20GB, one partition,
    > and adding mem=128MB to the "kernel" line in Grub doesn't solve the
    > issue.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?
    >
    > Thank you.

    RHEL 5.1 is a bit of a RAM pig, as are recent Fedora releases. But how
    did you "move" it? Did you re-run grub-install after doiing the move?
    And did you allocate some swap? Because I gotta tell you, wiht only
    128 Meg, you're gonna need it.

  3. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:28:32 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:
    >RHEL 5.1 is a bit of a RAM pig, as are recent Fedora releases. But how
    >did you "move" it?

    I just unplugged the IDE drive in the PC that I used to install
    CentOS, and plugged it into the Netvista.

    > Did you re-run grub-install after doiing the move?

    No, since I can't boot into Linux: The Netvista reboots right after
    running the initrd line.

    >And did you allocate some swap? Because I gotta tell you, wiht only
    >128 Meg, you're gonna need it.

    Yes, I allocated 1000MB on the IDE for swap. And I upgraded RAM to the
    whopping 256MB it supports ;-)

    Is there no way to get some debugging information on why it reboots
    like that?

  4. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On 31 Dec, 11:17, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:28:32 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    >
    > wrote:
    > >RHEL 5.1 is a bit of a RAM pig, as are recent Fedora releases. But how
    > >did you "move" it?

    > I just unplugged the IDE drive in the PC that I used to install
    > CentOS, and plugged it into the Netvista.
    >
    > > *Did you re-run grub-install after doiing the move?

    > No, since I can't boot into Linux: The Netvista reboots right after
    > running the initrd line.
    >
    > >And did you allocate some swap? Because I gotta tell you, wiht only
    > >128 Meg, you're gonna need it.

    > Yes, I allocated 1000MB on the IDE for swap. And I upgraded RAM to the
    > whopping 256MB it supports ;-)
    >
    > Is there no way to get some debugging information on why it reboots
    > like that?

    I'm guessing kernel and driver issues. Can you boot in the current
    configuraiton with a rescue CD, or disk 1 of the CentOS distribution,
    and look ot see if you have the wrong architecture? If your thinclient
    is not i686, for example, then the more standard i686 kernels will be
    unhappy.

    This will also give you a chance to see whether the IDE drive is
    showing up somewhere odd, like /dev/hde instead of /dev/hda for
    certain IDE controller setups.

  5. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:33:34 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:
    >I'm guessing kernel and driver issues. Can you boot in the current
    >configuraiton with a rescue CD, or disk 1 of the CentOS distribution,
    >and look ot see if you have the wrong architecture?

    No, I can't :-/ The Netvista only supports booting from a CF card, or
    an IDE harddisk, but can't boot from an IDE CDROM.

    > If your thinclient is not i686, for example, then the more standard i686 kernels will be
    >unhappy.

    Mmm... Maybe that's what it is: It's a Pentium 233MHz, ie. i586.

    FWIW, I could successfully connect the HD with FreeBSD 6.2 installed,
    which is partitionned differently (several partitions instead of the
    single, 20GB partition that I used with CentOS).

  6. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On 1 Jan, 04:36, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:33:34 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I'm guessing kernel and driver issues. Can you boot in the current
    > >configuraiton with a rescue CD, or disk 1 of the CentOS distribution,
    > >and look ot see if you have the wrong architecture?

    > No, I can't :-/ The Netvista only supports booting from a CF card, or
    > an IDE harddisk, but can't boot from an IDE CDROM.
    >
    > > If your thinclient is not i686, for example, then the more standard i686 kernels will be
    > >unhappy.

    > Mmm... Maybe that's what it is: It's a Pentium 233MHz, ie. i586.
    >
    > FWIW, I could successfully connect the HD with FreeBSD 6.2 installed,
    > which is partitionned differently (several partitions instead of the
    > single, 20GB partition that I used with CentOS).

    OK, can you boot with a Linux USB rescue device, and then get into the
    Linux partitions in order to revert the kernel and SSL libraries and
    glibc to be i586 compatible?

  7. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:52:35 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:
    >OK, can you boot with a Linux USB rescue device, and then get into the
    >Linux partitions in order to revert the kernel and SSL libraries and
    >glibc to be i586 compatible?

    I don't have the skills for this. I'll try rebuilding a kernel for
    i586 or i386, and see if it solves the issue.

  8. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On 2 Jan, 14:38, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:52:35 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    >
    > wrote:
    > >OK, can you boot with a Linux USB rescue device, and then get into the
    > >Linux partitions in order to revert the kernel and SSL libraries and
    > >glibc to be i586 compatible?

    > I don't have the skills for this. I'll try rebuilding a kernel for
    > i586 or i386, and see if it solves the issue.

    You may also have problemsm with openssl and glibc, and other packages
    that might have been compiled specifically for i686 architectures.

  9. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:51:18 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:
    >You may also have problemsm with openssl and glibc, and other packages
    >that might have been compiled specifically for i686 architectures.

    Mmm... This is getting complicated :-/

    Thankfully, I found a FreeBSD + Asterisk image made right for a CF
    card: http://www.askozia.com/pbx

  10. Re: Linux reboots right after Grug runs initrd

    Gilles Ganault did eloquently scribble:
    > On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:51:18 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
    > wrote:
    >>You may also have problemsm with openssl and glibc, and other packages
    >>that might have been compiled specifically for i686 architectures.

    > Mmm... This is getting complicated :-/

    > Thankfully, I found a FreeBSD + Asterisk image made right for a CF
    > card: http://www.askozia.com/pbx

    An alternative would be to see out an antique friendly distribution.
    (not all distributions are compiled for i686, some are still compiled for
    i386)
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |