What package will restore my application help files - Setup

This is a discussion on What package will restore my application help files - Setup ; Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help ...

  1. What package will restore my application help files

    Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason
    they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help
    nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help files
    for Fedora?

  2. Re: What package will restore my application help files

    On Dec 30, 2:14 am, tek wrote:
    > Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason
    > they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help
    > nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help files
    > for Fedora?

    Maybe I broke a link to somewhere. Possible?

  3. Re: What package will restore my application help files

    tek wrote:
    > Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason
    > they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help
    > nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help files
    > for Fedora?

    That does not make sense. the F1 should should search for help and tell you if
    it does not exist in a separate window. I only know KDE but the Gnome copies it
    or vice versa. It is not an interesting difference. I am not in the Gnome Wars.

    For the record each program has its own help files. There are no universal help
    files to invoke. The application has them or it does not. There is no law
    requiring them.

    Given the above is the case you can see why what you said does not make sense.
    You should have had a window open and tell you there is no documentation.

    That is not as bad as it sounds as the attempt is to have tooltips and such
    make it unnecessary.

    --
    We appear to have succeeded in averting war with Iran.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3898

  4. Re: What package will restore my application help files

    On Dec 30, 2:36 am, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > tek wrote:
    > > Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason
    > > they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help
    > > nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help files
    > > for Fedora?

    > That does not make sense. the F1 should should search for help and tell you if
    > it does not exist in a separate window. I only know KDE but the Gnome copies it
    > or vice versa. It is not an interesting difference. I am not in the Gnome Wars.
    >
    > For the record each program has its own help files. There are no universal help
    > files to invoke. The application has them or it does not. There is no law
    > requiring them.
    >
    > Given the above is the case you can see why what you said does not make sense.
    > You should have had a window open and tell you there is no documentation.
    >
    > That is not as bad as it sounds as the attempt is to have tooltips and such
    > make it unnecessary.
    >
    > --
    > We appear to have succeeded in averting war with Iran.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3898
    > http://www.giwersworld.orga1

    That's right. I expect to get the popup help window with the help
    content. Problem is nothing happens at all. And no error message
    either.So I can't tell what's broken.

  5. Re: What package will restore my application help files

    On Dec 30, 8:58 am, tek wrote:
    > On Dec 30, 2:36 am, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >

    > > tek wrote:
    > > > Using FC7. I thought I had my help files installed but for some reason
    > > > they are not. When I click on the "Content" menu or "F1" for help
    > > > nothing happens. What package do I need to restore all the help files
    > > > for Fedora?

    > > That does not make sense. the F1 should should search for help and tell you if
    > > it does not exist in a separate window. I only know KDE but the Gnome copies it
    > > or vice versa. It is not an interesting difference. I am not in the Gnome Wars.

    > > For the record each program has its own help files. There are no universal help
    > > files to invoke. The application has them or it does not. There is no law
    > > requiring them.

    > > Given the above is the case you can see why what you said does not make sense.
    > > You should have had a window open and tell you there is no documentation.

    > > That is not as bad as it sounds as the attempt is to have tooltips and such
    > > make it unnecessary.

    > > --
    > > We appear to have succeeded in averting war with Iran.
    > > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3898
    > > http://www.giwersworld.orga1

    > That's right. I expect to get the popup help window with the help
    > content. Problem is nothing happens at all. And no error message
    > either.So I can't tell what's broken.

    By golly I stumbled on the solution. I first had to figure what
    command was being executed to start the GNOME Help window. After some
    digging I discovered it was /usr/bin/gnome-help which is actually a
    link to /usr/bin/yelp. When I ran the command I received errors
    pointing to the following missing shared objects.

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Dec 30 11:47 libgtkembedmoz.so -> /
    usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/libgtkembedmoz.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Dec 30 11:49 libxpcom.so -> /usr/lib/
    firefox-2.0.0.10/libxpcom.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Dec 30 11:49 libxpcom_core.so -> /
    usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/libxpcom_core.so*

    So after recreating the links in /usr/lib, I ran gnome-help again and
    received this error.

    Yelp-ERROR **: Could not initialize gecko!
    aborting...

    Next I updated the yelp package to yelp.i386 0:2.18.1-8.fc7. After the
    update everything was back to normal. Happy day! I wish I could
    remember what I did to get things so out of whack.

+ Reply to Thread