locating and installing packages - Setup

This is a discussion on locating and installing packages - Setup ; Recently installed Oracle Linux to host Oracle BI. Going through the BI software requirements, specifically the list of required software packages. Running 'rpm -q -a' to get a list of all installed packages, I see that I am missing several ...

  1. locating and installing packages

    Recently installed Oracle Linux to host Oracle BI. Going through the
    BI software requirements, specifically the list of required software
    packages. Running 'rpm -q -a' to get a list of all installed packages,
    I see that I am missing several from the required list. Where do l
    locate the missing packages and where should they be placed on my
    system in order to install them with rpm? For instance, following the
    instruction in the BI installation guide, I get the following:

    [root]# rpm -q -a |grep compat-db >> package_list;view package_list
    [root]# rpm -ivh sysstat-4.0.7-4.EL3.3
    error: open of sysstat-4.0.7-4.EL3.3 failed: No such file or directory

    my system is :

    [root]# uname -a
    Linux 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 5 23:25:19 EDT
    2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Also ...

    Another item in the software requirements says 'If the hugemem kernel
    is used .....'

    So, how do I determine if it that applies to me?

  2. Re: locating and installing packages

    On Dec 26, 1:25 pm, EdStevens wrote:
    > Recently installed Oracle Linux to host Oracle BI. Going through the
    > BI software requirements, specifically the list of required software
    > packages. Running 'rpm -q -a' to get a list of all installed packages,
    > I see that I am missing several from the required list. Where do l
    > locate the missing packages and where should they be placed on my
    > system in order to install them with rpm? For instance, following the
    > instruction in the BI installation guide, I get the following:
    >
    > [root]# rpm -q -a |grep compat-db >> package_list;view package_list
    > [root]# rpm -ivh sysstat-4.0.7-4.EL3.3
    > error: open of sysstat-4.0.7-4.EL3.3 failed: No such file or directory
    >
    > my system is :
    >
    > [root]# uname -a
    > Linux 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 5 23:25:19 EDT
    > 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    >
    > Also ...
    >
    > Another item in the software requirements says 'If the hugemem kernel
    > is used .....'
    >
    > So, how do I determine if it that applies to me?

    Found the rpm files, scattered across the 5 cd installation set.
    Copied them all to a holding directory so that I won't have to keep
    mounting cd's to find them.

    One remaining question: how do I determine "if the hugemem kernel is
    used ....." ?

  3. Re: locating and installing packages

    > One remaining question: how do I determine "if the hugemem kernel is
    > used ....." ?

    it should show up in your uname -a. Unless you are using more than 16g
    of memory ( or certain types of processors) you wouldnt be needing the
    hugemem kernel.

+ Reply to Thread