Upgrade purgatory - Setup

This is a discussion on Upgrade purgatory - Setup ; I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed upgrade. Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but there seems to be strange issues. First, if I run the upgrade DVD the ...

  1. Upgrade purgatory

    I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed upgrade.
    Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but there seems to be
    strange issues.

    First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel was
    installed....

    Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As the
    system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine" message.

    How do I verify my kernel version and get to the correct version?

    There are 2 additional issues of httpd fails do to garbled modules and
    Xserver fails to load due to an ati driver failure. Right now I want to
    correct the kernel issue and then work through the other minor ones.

  2. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    Chuck Smith wrote:

    > First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    > installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel was
    > installed....
    >
    > Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    > splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As the
    > system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine" message.

    Why not update /etc/grub.conf yourself?
    Just add stanzas similar to the one(s) there,
    but with the kernels (and initrds) in /boot .

  3. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    I'll see if I can do that. "Why didn't I?", you asked, because I'm kinda
    new to linux and not sure what options I have. Also, I figured the upgrade
    DVD would have actually taken care of upgrading all of the components and
    left the system bootable to the newly installed version.

    "Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
    newsEP9j.23797$j7.445496@news.indigo.ie...
    > Chuck Smith wrote:
    >
    >> First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    >> installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel
    >> was
    >> installed....
    >>
    >> Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    >> splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As the
    >> system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine" message.

    > Why not update /etc/grub.conf yourself?
    > Just add stanzas similar to the one(s) there,
    > but with the kernels (and initrds) in /boot .

  4. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    "Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
    newsEP9j.23797$j7.445496@news.indigo.ie...
    > Chuck Smith wrote:
    >
    >> First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    >> installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel
    >> was
    >> installed....
    >>
    >> Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    >> splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As the
    >> system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine" message.

    > Why not update /etc/grub.conf yourself?
    > Just add stanzas similar to the one(s) there,
    > but with the kernels (and initrds) in /boot .

    I thought I could add fc7 lines to grub.conf but there isn't a matching
    fc7.img file so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions? Here is an
    ls of /boot and my grub.conf:

    [root@server boot]# ls
    config-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 initrd-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4.img
    System.map-2.6.17-1.2142
    config-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 lost+found
    System.map-2.6.21-1.3194
    grub memtest86+-1.55.1
    vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2142_FC
    [root@server boot]#
    [root@server boot]# vi /etc/grub.conf
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2142_FC4)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4.img

  5. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    Chuck Smith wrote:
    > I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed
    > upgrade. Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but there
    > seems to be strange issues.

    > First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    > installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel
    > was installed....

    What exactly does that mean? It reads like you mean you start the process,
    answer the questions, get to the point where it says you cannot turn back and
    you say yes and it ends immediately saying upgrade completed. If that is the
    case you have a bad disk as I cannot imagine a wrong answer which would cause
    this to happen.

    Can you be more specific as what you describe below indicates something was

    --
    That more should die in Iraq so the dead may not have died in vain strikes
    me as a reason derived from watching Lemmings follow each other over the

  6. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    "Matt Giwer" wrote in message
    > Chuck Smith wrote:
    >> I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed upgrade.
    >> Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but there seems to
    >> be strange issues.

    >> First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    >> installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel
    >> was installed....

    > What exactly does that mean? It reads like you mean you start the process,
    > answer the questions, get to the point where it says you cannot turn back
    > and you say yes and it ends immediately saying upgrade completed. If that
    > is the case you have a bad disk as I cannot imagine a wrong answer which
    > would cause this to happen.

    When I got the server it was running a web server and email server but the
    system was being booted from a Fedora 7 rescue disk. The system would not
    boot from the local drive and I could find references to Fedora Core looking
    at /boot and if I attempted to run yum to get things updated. Eventually I
    was able to get the upgrade to complete but grub did not reinstall and
    stated that there was no new kernel installed. Tried to rerun the upgrade
    and nothing was installed (my guess is that all of the components are equal
    or greater to the version on the upgrade DVD) and before the upgrade process
    stops another message is displayed that grub will not be upgraded because no
    new kernel was installed.

    > Can you be more specific as what you describe below indicates something
    > was installed.
    >
    >> Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    >> splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As the
    >> system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine" message.
    >>
    >> How do I verify my kernel version and get to the correct version?
    >>
    >> There are 2 additional issues of httpd fails do to garbled modules and
    >> Xserver fails to load due to an ati driver failure. Right now I want to
    >> correct the kernel issue and then work through the other minor ones.
    >>

    > --
    > That more should die in Iraq so the dead may not have died in vain strikes
    > me as a reason derived from watching Lemmings follow each other over the
    > cliff.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3888
    > http://www.giwersworld.org a1

  7. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    Chuck Smith wrote:

    > "Matt Giwer" wrote in message
    >> Chuck Smith wrote:
    >>> I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed
    >>> upgrade. Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but
    >>> there seems to be strange issues.

    >>> First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing
    >>> any installs and then states that grub will not update since no new
    >>> kernel was installed....

    >> What exactly does that mean? It reads like you mean you start the
    >> process, answer the questions, get to the point where it says you
    >> cannot turn back and you say yes and it ends immediately saying
    >> upgrade completed. If that is the case you have a bad disk as I cannot
    >> imagine a wrong answer which would cause this to happen.

    > When I got the server it was running a web server and email server but
    > the system was being booted from a Fedora 7 rescue disk. The system
    > would not boot from the local drive and I could find references to
    > Fedora Core looking at /boot and if I attempted to run yum to get things
    > updated. Eventually I was able to get the upgrade to complete but grub
    > did not reinstall and stated that there was no new kernel installed.
    > Tried to rerun the upgrade and nothing was installed (my guess is that
    > all of the components are equal or greater to the version on the upgrade
    > DVD) and before the upgrade process stops another message is displayed
    > that grub will not be upgraded because no new kernel was installed.

    I have not had this problem but I would start with

    man grub

    and figure out how to tell it to boot with the kernel you have installed.

    Best I can suggest.

    --
    Don't believe anything about government until it has been officially denied.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3906

  8. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    Chuck Smith wrote:
    > I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed
    > upgrade. Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but there
    > seems to be strange issues.
    >
    > First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing any
    > installs and then states that grub will not update since no new kernel
    > was installed....
    >
    > Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    > splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As
    > the system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine"
    > message.
    >
    > How do I verify my kernel version and get to the correct version?
    >
    > There are 2 additional issues of httpd fails do to garbled modules and
    > Xserver fails to load due to an ati driver failure. Right now I want to
    > correct the kernel issue and then work through the other minor ones.

    What does "yum update" say? And "yum list extras"?

  9. Re: Upgrade purgatory

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Chuck Smith wrote:
    >> I recently took over a server that seemed to be part of a failed
    >> upgrade. Now I've gotten the Fedora 7 upgrade DVD to complete but
    >> there seems to be strange issues.
    >>
    >> First, if I run the upgrade DVD the process completes without doing
    >> any installs and then states that grub will not update since no new
    >> kernel was installed....
    >>
    >> Now the weird stuff begins. When I boot from the local hard drive the
    >> splash screen only lists a fc4 kernel. Shouldn't there be a fc7? As
    >> the system boots I'm greeted with a "Welcome to Fedora 7 Moonshine"
    >> message.
    >>
    >> How do I verify my kernel version and get to the correct version?
    >>
    >> There are 2 additional issues of httpd fails do to garbled modules and
    >> Xserver fails to load due to an ati driver failure. Right now I want
    >> to correct the kernel issue and then work through the other minor ones.
    >>

    > What does "yum update" say? And "yum list extras"?

    Fault

+ Reply to Thread