Knoppix ? - Setup

This is a discussion on Knoppix ? - Setup ; When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable PC. I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?...

  1. Knoppix ?

    When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable PC.

    I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?

  2. Re: Knoppix ?

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:33:14 -0500, Bill wrote:

    > When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable PC.
    >
    > I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?

    Have you mounted the drives?

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  3. Re: Knoppix ?

    Bill wrote:
    > When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable PC.

    > I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?

    Exactly what are you trying to fix? Does it in fact boot knoppix? What do you
    see on the screen? Do you know linux well enough to attempt this?

    --
    The older a stupid statement the more profound it appears.
    The more frequent a stupid statement the more it is taken as wisdom.

  4. Re: Knoppix ?

    It loads and presents a desktop. From there I can click on the drive, and
    it opens up.
    If they were not mounted, they would not open. Correct?

    "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.11.15.21.43.52.593311@you.now...
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:33:14 -0500, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable
    >> PC.
    >>
    >> I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?

    > Have you mounted the drives?
    >
    > --
    > I told you this was going to happen.

  5. Re: Knoppix ?

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:35:38 -0500, Bill wrote:
    > It loads and presents a desktop. From there I can click on the drive, and
    > it opens up.
    > If they were not mounted, they would not open. Correct?

    Maybe read only.

  6. Re: Knoppix ?

    Actually, just trying to copy a file back onto the drive.
    I use it to track bad data, and I had to update the PC that I took it off
    of.

    I used the same Knoppix CD to copy from hd6 to fd0.
    just can't seem to go back the other way.

    "Matt Giwer" wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    >> When I boot off of the CD, I was told I could fix a bad or, un bootable
    >> PC.

    >> I can not edit or copy anything. What's up?

    > Exactly what are you trying to fix? Does it in fact boot knoppix? What do
    > you see on the screen? Do you know linux well enough to attempt this?

    A desktop very similar to a Windowz desktop.

    I have used Linux before with no problems.
    Just seems as though the Knoppix CD does not give the correct authority.

    Tried chmod 777, and get the not authorized message.

    > --
    > The older a stupid statement the more profound it appears.
    > The more frequent a stupid statement the more it is taken as wisdom.
    > Those without original thought have only stupid statements.
    > You now understand those considered wise and profound.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3886
    > nizkor http://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
    > book review http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/wi...utioners.phtml
    > a7

  7. Re: Knoppix ?

    Bill wrote:

    > I have used Linux before with no problems.
    > Just seems as though the Knoppix CD does not give the correct authority.
    >
    > Tried chmod 777, and get the not authorized message.

    Generally not a very good approach :P

    If you're trying to fix a windows partition, chances are (as said
    already in the thread) that a ntfs is mounted. You could try doing a
    mount -o remount,rw on the mounted ntfs partion (and hope this knoppix
    version has the correct ntfs driver.) Also. If your windows was shutdown
    in an inconsistent state (crash, harsh poweroff) your ntfs needs to be
    checked with windows checkdisk or something before linux can even mount
    it RW, regardless of the driver. This is a security measure because
    linux can screw the NTFS up even further if the fs is not marked clean.

    As an alternative, (ignoring the nntp group name) you could try using a
    BartPE iso. This is like a windows live CD.

    I hope this is useful to you.

    regards

    -R-

+ Reply to Thread