Installing Linux on a PC w/XP - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing Linux on a PC w/XP - Setup ; I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run ...

  1. Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I
    would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux
    world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux
    from within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on
    that, so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    vtcad wrote:

    > I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I
    > would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux
    > world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux
    > from within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on
    > that, so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is
    > appreciated.

    Take a look at Vmware server, it is free for personal use. You can download
    it here: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
    Another option is Virtual Box, another virtualization product that can be
    found here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

    --
    Regards,
    Tore

  3. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    vtcad writes:
    > I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I would
    > like to not partition my hardrive...

    The installer will do it for you. Easy and safe.

    > Is it possible to run Linux from within XP...

    You can use VMware.

    > ... or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on that...

    Yes, of course.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:22:00 -0800, vtcad wrote:

    > I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I would
    > like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux world
    > and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux from
    > within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on that,
    > so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is appreciated.

    If you don't want to partition your existing HD, the next best option is
    to add a second hard drive and put Linux on it. That's what I did 7
    years ago when I first tried Linux. I even put the Linux boot loader on
    a floppy, so the system would only boot into Linux with that floppy in
    the drive.

    Today, there are even more "safe" options: LiveCD--some, if you have
    enough RAM--will run entirely in RAM; if your computer will boot off USB,
    Linux on a flash drive or USB external drive, etc.; a net boot from
    another machine. The list goes on and on.

    Yes, you can run Linux simultaneously from within Windows (or the other
    way around) by using virtual machine software, but you'll need lots of
    RAM (a couple gigs at least) and a fast processor (1.5 GHz at least) to
    make it useful. A dual boot machine is more practical and uses less
    resources, but you can run both OSes at the same time.

    Stef

  5. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    vtcad wrote:
    > I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I
    > would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux
    > world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux
    > from within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on
    > that, so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is
    > appreciated.

    The cleanest and guaranteed to work is to add another internal hard drive.
    Guaranteed as they all will boot off an internal drive. An internal is only
    marginally harder than a USB drive but your BIOS may not be able to boot from
    it. To find out go to the BIOS and find the boot options and see if USB is one
    of them. A USB will be slower than internal but you shouldn't notice it except
    for very large files.

  6. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    vtcad ha scritto:
    > I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I
    > would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux
    > world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux
    > from within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on
    > that, so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is
    > appreciated.

    I remember there was a Slackware distribution that was entirely
    contained in a file of the windows filesystem, maybe zipslack.
    I do not know if such a thing still exist, maybe someone knows.
    D.

  7. Re: Installing Linux on a PC w/XP

    Here in comp.os.linux.setup,
    vtcad spake unto us, saying:

    >I'm looking for different ways to load linux onto my PC. Ideally I
    >would like to not partition my hardrive, but am very new to the linux
    >world and don't know what my options are. Is it possible to run Linux
    >from within XP or possible buy and external hardrive and load linux on
    >that, so that i don't have to reconfigure my pc. Any help is
    >appreciated.

    There are a couple of options easy options.

    If you don't want to install Linux at all, one possibility is to use
    what is called a LiveCD. That's a version of Linux which you burn onto
    a CD, and which can then boot off that CD without having to touch your
    hard drive(s) at all. Very nice for checking things out.

    Some Linux LiveCDs that I would recommend are Puppy Linux, PCLinuxOS,
    SLAX, Knoppix, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. There's a huge list of different
    LiveCD distros here:

    Another option is to download a version of Linux which runs inside a
    QEMU package (basically a PC emulator that runs as a Windows program
    and then runs a copy of Linux inside of itself).

    Here's one example:

    http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWinQE.zip

    I know Damn Small Linux is also available in a QEMU format, and
    possibly others.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread