What do you do when you see... io error writing no space left on device. What do you check? - Setup

This is a discussion on What do you do when you see... io error writing no space left on device. What do you check? - Setup ; What do you do when you see... io error writing no space left on device What do you check?......

  1. What do you do when you see... io error writing no space left on device. What do you check?

    What do you do when you see...

    io error writing no space left on device

    What do you check?...

  2. Re: What do you do when you see... io error writing no space lefton device. What do you check?

    the zak wrote:
    > What do you do when you see...
    >
    > io error writing no space left on device
    >
    > What do you check?...

    log files.
    nAd disk space.

  3. Re: What do you do when you see... io error writing no space lefton device. What do you check?

    the zak wrote:
    > What do you do when you see...
    > io error writing no space left on device

    > What do you check?...

    When?

    If after installing a new drive you format it first and then try again.

    If on an existing drive that has worked fine until now

    du drive

    and

    df -c drive

    are your next steps.

    If it is in fact full then find what filled it which should be apparent from
    the du output and correct that. I have had it happen when I was learning to
    write shell scripts.

    But occasionally even the largest drive is filled. HD are cheap these days. I
    have seen 500GB internals for under $100 and the cheapest and smallest HD at
    $50. It is a narrow price range. There is no point is saving pennies. It is
    trivial to move them when you get a new machine.

    --
    Yes, the world is better off without Saddam Hussein but the world would be
    better off without Bush too so that is no excuse for war. Or is it?

  4. Re: What do you do when you see... io error writing no space left on device. What do you check?

    On 13 Nov, 15:04, the zak wrote:
    > What do you do when you see...
    >
    > io error writing no space left on device
    >
    > What do you check?...

    I run the command "df", and the command "lsof" to see what's being
    held open. Then a "du /var" and/or "du /home" are typically quite
    helpful, with options to format it the way you like.

+ Reply to Thread