clock in RHEL5 too fast? - Setup

This is a discussion on clock in RHEL5 too fast? - Setup ; Dear Linux friends system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster. In RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and Knoppix the clock runs O.K. Can I fix the problem or only ...

  1. clock in RHEL5 too fast?

    Dear Linux friends

    system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster.
    In RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and Knoppix the clock runs O.K.
    Can I fix the problem or only RedHat can do this?

    In /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0
    both available_clocksource and current_clocksource
    contain jiffies only.

    Also, what are the advantages of RHEL over fedora?
    Is it worth paying RHEL support if they do not
    accept a question like this one?

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Pavel Pokorny
    Math Dept, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology

  2. Re: clock in RHEL5 too fast?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:01:21 +0000, Pavel Pokorny wrote:

    > Dear Linux friends
    >
    > system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    > on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster.
    > In RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and Knoppix the clock runs O.K.
    > Can I fix the problem or only RedHat can do this?

    Run ntpd and that should keep your clock in sync.

    > Also, what are the advantages of RHEL over fedora?
    > Is it worth paying RHEL support if they do not
    > accept a question like this one?

    It would depend on what you were using your system for. In a production
    env I would not run Fedora. Fedora is the testbed for RH meaning
    there could be bug/problems that you just would not want on a production
    machine.

    If you like RH and what RHEL5 without the Tax then take a look at CentOS.

    http://www.centos.org

    This is RH srpms recompiled.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

  3. Re: clock in RHEL5 too fast?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , Robert wrote:

    >Pavel Pokorny wrote:

    >> system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    >> on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster.

    >Run ntpd and that should keep your clock in sync.

    You may want to read the documentation for NTP - you'll find it is to
    correct minor drifts of 0.001 percent or less. A 300 percent error is
    beyond the capability, and is usually caused by an APIC configuration
    error. The normal solution is to boot the kernel with a 'noapic' boot
    parameter.

    Old guy

  4. Re: clock in RHEL5 too fast?

    Pavel Pokorny writes:

    > Dear Linux friends

    >system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    >on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster.
    >In RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and Knoppix the clock runs O.K.
    >Can I fix the problem or only RedHat can do this?

    >In /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0
    >both available_clocksource and current_clocksource
    >contain jiffies only.

    >Also, what are the advantages of RHEL over fedora?
    >Is it worth paying RHEL support if they do not
    >accept a question like this one?

    Have you actually asked them? It sounds to me like it is aquestion they
    SHOULD answer under support.

  5. Re: clock in RHEL5 too fast?

    Robert writes:

    >On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:01:21 +0000, Pavel Pokorny wrote:

    >> Dear Linux friends
    >>
    >> system clock in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    >> on my hp xw 9300 w/ Opteron runs approx 3x faster.
    >> In RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and Knoppix the clock runs O.K.
    >> Can I fix the problem or only RedHat can do this?

    >Run ntpd and that should keep your clock in sync.

    This is complete nonesense. ntpd can keep a clock that is fast or slow by a
    few parts per million in line, but it CANNOT keep a clock that is 3x too
    fast in line.

    >> Also, what are the advantages of RHEL over fedora?
    >> Is it worth paying RHEL support if they do not
    >> accept a question like this one?

    >It would depend on what you were using your system for. In a production
    >env I would not run Fedora. Fedora is the testbed for RH meaning
    >there could be bug/problems that you just would not want on a production
    >machine.

    >If you like RH and what RHEL5 without the Tax then take a look at CentOS.

    It is not a tax it is a support contract.
    The probability of fixing bugs in Fedora is I think actually higher than in
    RHEL. The former publishes the bugs publically. AFAIK, redhat delivers RHEL
    bug reports only to people who have a support contract, and that does not
    include the people who run Centos.

    >http://www.centos.org

    >This is RH srpms recompiled.

    The question is how well they keep up with the bug reports.
    I have not found a repository for the security update rpms. Maybe I have
    just not looked in the right place.

+ Reply to Thread