    I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    Any have a idea?

  2. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On 2007-11-10, lo1l wrote:
    > I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    > Any have a idea?

    /home and /etc generally

    --

    Lop some Boogie

  3. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    lo1l wrote:
    > I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    > Any have a idea?

    Generic or initial/default configuration files are likely in /etc or
    /usr/share/filename or /usr/local/share/filename.

    find /usr |grep filename
    or
    find /etc |grep filename

    should find them. These contain information that all users need. Those in /usr
    will generally be those which do not change such as plug-ins or how to find and
    use repositories and those in /etc those that do change such as repositories found.

    Your customized version is in your home directory. It is likely a hidden dot
    file as in .filename or .filenamerc
    Some like KDE files will be under .kde usually under .kde/share as a filenamerc
    file.

    ls -aR |grep filename

    -a to show all all files including dot files and -R for recursive.

    It would be faster if this could be limited to just files that have a leading .
    but I have not figured out how to do that.

    --
    That more should die in Iraq so the dead may not have died in vain strikes
    me as a reason derived from watching Lemmings follow each other over the

  4. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:23:50 +0900, lo1l wrote:
    >> I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    >> Any have a idea?

    > mostly under /

    Show me a linux file that isn't ;-)
    Oh dear..

  5. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On 2007-11-10, lo1l wrote:

    > I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    > Any have a idea?

    Global config files are generally in /etc or /usr/local/etc. User config
    files are in ~/.[whatever]

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    John Thompson writes:

    >On 2007-11-10, lo1l wrote:

    >> I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    >> Any have a idea?

    It is a very bad question, because they can be anywhere. As he says,
    "generally" in Linux they are in /etc, but there are also some in
    /usr/share/ or in /var/lib or even in
    /usr/lib/

    >Global config files are generally in /etc or /usr/local/etc. User config
    >files are in ~/.[whatever]

    >--

    >John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  7. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Unruh wrote:

    >>> I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    >>> Any have a idea?

    > It is a very bad question, because they can be anywhere. As he says,
    > "generally" in Linux they are in /etc, but there are also some in
    > /usr/share/ or in /var/lib or even in
    > /usr/lib/

    I think it's quite a good question;
    as your answer makes clear, Linux puts config files all over the place.
    I don't know why they can't just stick with /etc -
    linked if you like to a file in /usr/share/ or wherever.
    What actually is the idea of putting config files in /var/lib ?

  8. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    >> It is a very bad question, because they can be anywhere. As he says,
    >> "generally" in Linux they are in /etc, but there are also some in
    >> /usr/share/ or in /var/lib or even in
    >> /usr/lib/

    > I think it's quite a good question;
    > as your answer makes clear, Linux puts config files all over the place.

    linux doesn't. 3rd party people do.

    > I don't know why they can't just stick with /etc -
    > linked if you like to a file in /usr/share/ or wherever.
    > What actually is the idea of putting config files in /var/lib ?

  9. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Timothy Murphy writes:
    > Linux puts config files all over the place.

    Not in my experience.

    > What actually is the idea of putting config files in /var/lib ?

    What distribution puts what config files in /var/lib?
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  10. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:36:29 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

    > What distribution puts what config files in /var/lib?

    Mandriva linux
    cd /var/lib
    $ ls -al * | wc -l
    368
    $ ls
    aide dkms kdm mlocate random-seed stateless
    alsa games lock msec rarian texmf
    alternatives gdm logrotate.status mysql rpm urpmi
    dbus gnome mandriva mysql-cluster samba xkb
    dhcp htdig menu nfs shorewall xlogical
    dirmngr imap misc php spamassassin

    Fedora
    $ cd /var/lib
    $ ls
    bluetooth games multipath rpcbind texmf
    cs hal nfs rpm webalizer
    dav hsqldb ntp samba xkb
    dbus logrotate.status php sepolgen yum
    dhclient misc PolicyKit setroubleshoot

    Kubuntu
    $ cd /var/lib
    $ ls
    acpi-support debtags hal python-support urandom
    alsa defoma initramfs-tools security vim
    apparmor dhcp3 initscripts sgml-base x11
    apt dictionaries-common kdm slocate xkb
    aptitude discover locales snmp xml-core
    aspell dpkg logrotate thunderbird
    avahi-autoipd gcj-4.2 misc ucf
    belocs gstreamer mozilla-firefox update-manager
    dbus guidance NetworkManager update-notifier

  11. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    John Hasler wrote:

    >> What actually is the idea of putting config files in /var/lib ?

    > What distribution puts what config files in /var/lib?

    /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG

  12. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Bit Twister writes:
    > Kubuntu
    > $ cd /var/lib
    > $ ls
    > acpi-support debtags hal python-support urandom
    > alsa defoma initramfs-tools security vim
    > apparmor dhcp3 initscripts sgml-base x11
    > apt dictionaries-common kdm slocate xkb
    > aptitude discover locales snmp xml-core
    > aspell dpkg logrotate thunderbird
    > avahi-autoipd gcj-4.2 misc ucf
    > belocs gstreamer mozilla-firefox update-manager
    > dbus guidance NetworkManager update-notifier

    Which of those do you consider config files?

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  13. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:01:59 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> What distribution puts what config files in /var/lib?

    > Which of those do you consider config files?

    You asked for distributions, I gave three, showed directories and a
    one level deep count of directories and files.

    Your question is vague to me. "of those" literly would be none,
    because they were directories from the ls command. Tryig to look
    behind your question I would have to say:

    The application knows if the file is temp, data, database,
    or a config file.

    Your original post made me look at just one app's directory and there
    I found the config with orig as part of the name, and the other file
    were the configuration values I had modified through the GUI interface
    for that application. That is a "config file" for that application.

    Em Sábado, 10 de Novembro de 2007 01:23, lo1l escreveu:

    > I wanna know where is configuration files generally.
    > Any have a idea?

    generally...

    the system files are in /etc and it's subfolders

    your private preference configurations are on your /home/user/
    mostly in hidden files.

    regards

  15. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Bit Twister writes:
    > Your question is vague to me. "of those" literly would be none, because
    > they were directories from the ls command.

    Which of the files under those directories do you consider config files?

    > Your original post made me look at just one app's directory and there I
    > found the config with orig as part of the name, and the other file were
    > the configuration values I had modified through the GUI interface for
    > that application.

    Which application?

    > That is a "config file" for that application.

    Not necessarily. Depending on the details this may qualify as variable
    state information, which is what /var/lib is for (see the FHS).
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  16. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:10:32 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

    > Which application?
    >
    >> That is a "config file" for that application.

    > Not necessarily. Depending on the details this may qualify as variable
    > state information, which is what /var/lib is for (see the FHS).

    I do not care what the FHS indicates for in this thread.
    You asked for distributions with config files in /var/lib.
    Gave 3 of the ones I have installed in their own partition. Except for swap,
    none share anything with each other.

    You wanted further proof about config files so I checked and found
    one. Now you want app and file name. Here is the file name, and
    contents no less, app name is in directory path.

    What it contains is the list of checks to be performed, or not, by it's
    /etc/cron.hourly and /etc/cron.daily script. Install is Mandriva linux.

    # cat /var/lib/msec/security.conf
    CHECK_OPEN_PORT=yes
    CHECK_UNOWNED=no
    CHECK_SECURITY=yes
    CHECK_PASSWD=yes
    CHECK_SUID_ROOT=yes
    MAIL_EMPTY_CONTENT=no
    CHECK_PROMISC=no
    TTY_WARN=no
    MAIL_WARN=yes
    CHECK_PERMS=yes
    CHECK_SGID=yes
    SYSLOG_WARN=yes
    CHECK_SHADOW=yes
    CHKROOTKIT_CHECK=yes
    RPM_CHECK=yes
    CHECK_WRITABLE=yes
    CHECK_SUID_MD5=yes

  17. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    Bit Twister writes:
    > I do not care what the FHS indicates for in this thread.

    I do. We need a consensus on what a config file is and what the various
    parts of the file system hierarchy are for.

    > What it contains is the list of checks to be performed, or not, by it's
    > /etc/cron.hourly and /etc/cron.daily script. Install is Mandriva linux.
    > # cat /var/lib/msec/security.conf
    > CHECK_OPEN_PORT=yes

    Looks like a bug in Mandriva. Debian has no package named "msec". Got
    anything for Ubuntu?

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  18. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:52:03 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

    > Looks like a bug in Mandriva.

    Different distros's, different commands, different scripts.......
    I was chapped when I found out hostname gave different results on
    different distros.

    > Debian has no package named "msec".

    I would gess so since it is Mandravia Security system auditor

    > Got anything for Ubuntu?

    You know, if you break out some free ~10 gig partitions, you could
    install some of those live cds. :-D

    More and more of the gui apps are storing config files in .xml files
    Would you accept
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 62034 2007-09-05 18:50 %gconf-tree.xml
    junk@ubuntu:/var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults$

  19. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    > Timothy Murphy writes:
    >> Linux puts config files all over the place.

    Linux per se does not but various applications that run on Linux do, and
    most are user-configurable.

  20. Re: Where is configuration files generally?

    John Hasler wrote:

    >> That is a "config file" for that application.

    > Not necessarily. Depending on the details this may qualify as variable
    > state information, which is what /var/lib is for (see the FHS).

    But there _are_ config files in /var/lib .
    I pointed out /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG
    and I notice /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf as well.

    I don't know why they are there, but there they seem to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast