problem with lilo on thinkpad - Setup

This is a discussion on problem with lilo on thinkpad - Setup ; Hi, I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive. Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition, /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing. That partion was made bootable. When I ...

  1. problem with lilo on thinkpad

    Hi,

    I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive.
    Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition,
    /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing.
    That partion was made bootable.
    When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing".
    Now, when I copy 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows
    partition and mention that file in window's boot.ini, mark
    the windows partition bootable,
    I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting Linux, I get
    the expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from there.

    Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition?
    The only unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the
    partions are not in the sequence as they are numbered:
    1. NTFS /dev/sda1
    2. linux, root /dev/sda3
    3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    4. VFAT /dev/sda2

    /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it around.
    Could this be the problem?
    Or is this a ThinkPad peculiarity?

    Puzzeled,

    -ulrich lauther
    [nosave]
    Ulrich Lauther ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
    Siemens CT SE 6 Internet: Ulrich.Lauther@siemens.com

  2. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    Ulrich Lauther wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive.
    > Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition,
    > /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing.
    > That partion was made bootable.
    > When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing".
    > Now, when I copy 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows
    > partition and mention that file in window's boot.ini, mark
    > the windows partition bootable,
    > I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting Linux, I get
    > the expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from there.
    >
    > Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition?
    > The only unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the
    > partions are not in the sequence as they are numbered:
    > 1. NTFS /dev/sda1
    > 2. linux, root /dev/sda3
    > 3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    > 4. VFAT /dev/sda2
    >
    > /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it around.
    > Could this be the problem?
    > Or is this a ThinkPad peculiarity?

    The partitions before the Linux root on the
    disk are too large for the BIOS to address
    the LILO code therre.

    When booting, the only way to read the first
    sectors of code is to use the BIOS disk drivers,
    and the body of the boot code must be accessible
    for the BIOS drivers.

    There are different limits depending on the
    age and settings of the BIOS.

    This is the main reason why it is recommended
    to have a separate smallish partition for /boot
    at the start of the disk.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:01:19 +0000, Tauno Voipio wrote:

    > Ulrich Lauther wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive.
    >> Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition,
    >> /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing. That partion was
    >> made bootable.
    >> When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing". Now, when I copy
    >> 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows partition and mention
    >> that file in window's boot.ini, mark the windows partition bootable,
    >> I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting Linux, I get the
    >> expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from there.
    >>
    >> Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition? The only
    >> unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the partions are not in
    >> the sequence as they are numbered: 1. NTFS /dev/sda1
    >> 2. linux, root /dev/sda3
    >> 3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    >> 4. VFAT /dev/sda2
    >>
    >> /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it
    >> around. Could this be the problem?
    >> Or is this a ThinkPad peculiarity?
    >>

    > The partitions before the Linux root on the disk are too large for the
    > BIOS to address the LILO code therre.
    >
    > When booting, the only way to read the first sectors of code is to use
    > the BIOS disk drivers, and the body of the boot code must be accessible
    > for the BIOS drivers.
    >
    > There are different limits depending on the age and settings of the
    > BIOS.
    >
    > This is the main reason why it is recommended to have a separate
    > smallish partition for /boot at the start of the disk.

    This BIOS limitation no longer exists on contemporary computers, say made
    within the last 5 years or so. So, that's not the problem.

    Stef

  4. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:15:53 +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive.
    > Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition,
    > /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing. That partion was made
    > bootable.
    > When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing". Now, when I copy
    > 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows partition and mention
    > that file in window's boot.ini, mark the windows partition bootable,
    > I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting Linux, I get the
    > expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from there.
    >
    > Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition? The only
    > unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the partions are not in
    > the sequence as they are numbered: 1. NTFS /dev/sda1
    > 2. linux, root /dev/sda3
    > 3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    > 4. VFAT /dev/sda2
    >
    > /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it
    > around. Could this be the problem?
    > Or is this a ThinkPad peculiarity?
    >
    > Puzzeled,

    You should have installed LILO on /dev/sda's Master Boot Record, not on /
    dev/sda3. Didn't the Slackware installer recognize Windows was there?
    If it did, it would have configured LILO to boot both OSes. Right now,
    there's a Windows' MBR on the hard drive, and Windows doesn't recognize
    or even acknowledge the existence of other OSes, and so won't boot them.

    Stef

  5. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    Stefan Patric wrote:
    : On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:15:53 +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

    : > Hi,
    : >
[...]

    Installing on a Linux partition has worked for me many times, just this
    ThinkPad has the problem.
    (I use Linux since 1995 on dual boot computers and never ever installed in
    the MBR).
    Windows should not at all come into the play, as the Windows partition is
    not marked bootable, but the Linux partition is.
    The notebook may be 2 years old; so the partition size limitation should
    not apply.

    So it must be either a bios or a lilo problem.
    --
    -ulrich

  6. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    Ulrich Lauther wrote:
    > Stefan Patric wrote:
    > : On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:15:53 +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
    >
    > : > Hi,
    > : >
    > : > I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata drive.
    > : > Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root partition,
    > : > /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing. That partion was made
    > : > bootable.
    > : > When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing". Now, when I copy
    > : > 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows partition and mention
    > : > that file in window's boot.ini, mark the windows partition bootable,
    > : > I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting Linux, I get the
    > : > expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from there.
    > : >
    > : > Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition? The only
    > : > unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the partions are not in
    > : > the sequence as they are numbered: 1. NTFS /dev/sda1
    > : > 2. linux, root /dev/sda3
    > : > 3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    > : > 4. VFAT /dev/sda2
    > : >
    > : > /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it
    > : > around. Could this be the problem?
    > : > Or is this a ThinkPad peculiarity?
    > : >
    > : > Puzzeled,
    >
    > : You should have installed LILO on /dev/sda's Master Boot Record, not on /
    > : dev/sda3. Didn't the Slackware installer recognize Windows was there?
    > : If it did, it would have configured LILO to boot both OSes. Right now,
    > : there's a Windows' MBR on the hard drive, and Windows doesn't recognize
    > : or even acknowledge the existence of other OSes, and so won't boot them.
    >
    > : Stef
    >
    > Installing on a Linux partition has worked for me many times, just this
    > ThinkPad has the problem.
    > (I use Linux since 1995 on dual boot computers and never ever installed in
    > the MBR).
    > Windows should not at all come into the play, as the Windows partition is
    > not marked bootable, but the Linux partition is.
    > The notebook may be 2 years old; so the partition size limitation should
    > not apply.
    >
    > So it must be either a bios or a lilo problem.

    It is a disk access problem - the chain load boot code
    in the MBR is not able to access as far as the boot
    sector of the Linux partition.

    This is why the booting functions when initialized by
    the Windows boot.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  7. Re: problem with lilo on thinkpad

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 11:55:40 +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

    > Stefan Patric wrote: : On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:15:53
    > +0000, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
    >
    > : > Hi,
    > : >
    > : > I installed Slackware 12.0 on a IBM Thinkpad with 50 GByte sata
    > drive. : > Lilo was installed to the superblock of the Linux root
    > partition, : > /dev/sda3. I get a warning about lba32 addressing. That
    > partion was made : > bootable.
    > : > When I try to boot, I get "operating system missing". Now, when I
    > copy : > 512 bytes from /dev/sda3 to a file on the windows partition and
    > mention : > that file in window's boot.ini, mark the windows partition
    > bootable, : > I get a boot-dialog on rebooting and after selecting
    > Linux, I get the : > expected Lilo prompt and everything works fine from
    > there. : >
    > : > Any idea, why I cannot directly boot from the linux partition? The
    > only : > unusual thing (fdisk warns about this) is that the partions are
    > not in : > the sequence as they are numbered: 1. NTFS /dev/sda1 :
    > > 2. linux, root /dev/sda3

    > : > 3. linux, swap /dev/sda4
    > : > 4. VFAT /dev/sda2
    > : >
    > : > /dev/sda2 is a windows rescue partion and I didn't dare to move it :
    > > around. Could this be the problem? : > Or is this a ThinkPad

    > peculiarity? : >
    > : > Puzzeled,
    >
    > : You should have installed LILO on /dev/sda's Master Boot Record, not
    > on / : dev/sda3. Didn't the Slackware installer recognize Windows was
    > there? : If it did, it would have configured LILO to boot both OSes.
    > Right now, : there's a Windows' MBR on the hard drive, and Windows
    > doesn't recognize : or even acknowledge the existence of other OSes, and
    > so won't boot them.
    >
    > : Stef
    >
    > Installing on a Linux partition has worked for me many times, just this
    > ThinkPad has the problem.
    > (I use Linux since 1995 on dual boot computers and never ever installed
    > in the MBR).
    > Windows should not at all come into the play, as the Windows partition
    > is not marked bootable, but the Linux partition is. The notebook may be
    > 2 years old; so the partition size limitation should not apply.
    >
    > So it must be either a bios or a lilo problem.

    Post your lilo.conf file or whatever it's call now. I've been away from
    lilo for about 3 or 4 years. Maybe, there IS an error in it. Also, post
    the output from fstab -l /dev/sda. You'll probably have to be root to do
    it. Or try su -c '/sbin/fstab -l /dev/sda'

    And FWIW: Have you tried saving the Windows MBR, so you can reinstall
    it, if you want to, and, then, writing lilo (properly written, of course)
    to the MBR to see if that works? That's the way I've always done dual
    boot systems whether using lilo or grub. Never had a problem. Of
    course, you'd change the bootable flag to the Windows partition.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread