Setting up Apache with multiple home pages - Setup

This is a discussion on Setting up Apache with multiple home pages - Setup ; Hi folks, I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6) and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a different home page depending upon what port ...

  1. Setting up Apache with multiple home pages

    Hi folks,

    I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6)
    and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a
    different home page depending upon what port the connection came in on.

    The reason for this is that I want to be able to open up a port, probably
    8080 in my router, and point it through to this particular machine. If I
    then connect from outside my own network, via the router, I want a
    different home page to appear than the one that would appear if I
    connected via port 80 via my local network.

    I've tried the Apache 2.2 documentation, and googled around, but can't
    find anything obvious.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Many thanks,

    Dave

    --
    Dave Stratford ZFCA
    Hexagon Systems Limited - Experts in VME systems development

  2. Re: Setting up Apache with multiple home pages

    Dave Stratford wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6)
    > and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a
    > different home page depending upon what port the connection came in on.
    >
    > The reason for this is that I want to be able to open up a port, probably
    > 8080 in my router, and point it through to this particular machine. If I
    > then connect from outside my own network, via the router, I want a
    > different home page to appear than the one that would appear if I
    > connected via port 80 via my local network.
    >
    > I've tried the Apache 2.2 documentation, and googled around, but can't
    > find anything obvious.
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Try virtual name hosting, you can then setup one site to use 80 and another
    to use 8080

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: Setting up Apache with multiple home pages

    Dave Stratford wrote:
    > I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6)
    > and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a
    > different home page depending upon what port the connection came in on.
    >
    > The reason for this is that I want to be able to open up a port, probably
    > 8080 in my router, and point it through to this particular machine. If I
    > then connect from outside my own network, via the router, I want a
    > different home page to appear than the one that would appear if I
    > connected via port 80 via my local network.
    >
    > I've tried the Apache 2.2 documentation, and googled around, but can't
    > find anything obvious.

    Hm. What you want to do is to have different virtual hosts for different
    ports. Have you really read this?

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html

    You will of course have one VHost with *:80 and another with *:8080, or
    something like that.

  4. Re: Setting up Apache with multiple home pages

    On 29 Oct, 20:54, Alexander Krivács Schrřder
    wrote:
    > Dave Stratford wrote:
    > > I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6)
    > > and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a
    > > different home page depending upon what port the connection came in on.

    > > The reason for this is that I want to be able to open up a port, probably
    > > 8080 in my router, and point it through to this particular machine. If I
    > > then connect from outside my own network, via the router, I want a
    > > different home page to appear than the one that would appear if I
    > > connected via port 80 via my local network.

    > > I've tried the Apache 2.2 documentation, and googled around, but can't
    > > find anything obvious.

    > Hm. What you want to do is to have different virtual hosts for different
    > ports. Have you really read this?
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html
    >
    > You will of course have one VHost with *:80 and another with *:8080, or
    > something like that.

    I highly suggest that you look into using webmin and maybe usermin to
    provide just the settings you want. It's good software for managing
    this sort of thing.

  5. Re: Setting up Apache with multiple home pages

    In article <4726489d$0$99117$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.se>,
    Alexander Krivács Schrøder wrote:
    > This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
    > --------------enig6BF8CC8BE1B9F6206337EC31

    > Dave Stratford wrote:
    > > I'm just setting up an apache server on one of my fedora machines (FC6)
    > > and if possible I'd like to be able to set it up so that it displays a
    > > different home page depending upon what port the connection came in on.
    > >
    > > The reason for this is that I want to be able to open up a port,
    > > probably 8080 in my router, and point it through to this particular
    > > machine. If I then connect from outside my own network, via the
    > > router, I want a different home page to appear than the one that would
    > > appear if I connected via port 80 via my local network.
    > >
    > > I've tried the Apache 2.2 documentation, and googled around, but can't
    > > find anything obvious.

    > Hm. What you want to do is to have different virtual hosts for different
    > ports. Have you really read this?

    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html

    > You will of course have one VHost with *:80 and another with *:8080, or
    > something like that.

    This works fine. It's not quite what I wanted, as I now have to duplicate
    some of the bits and bobs across the two virtual hosts, but I've made it
    do what I want.

    Many thanks,

    Dave

    --