monitor and screen resolution in fedora 6 - Setup

This is a discussion on monitor and screen resolution in fedora 6 - Setup ; I am unable to do much with my resolution, and nothing with my choice of monitor. Regardless of whether I run from desktop or via system- config-dispaly or setup, I cannot choose a monitor. Screen says "auto configured" and lists ...

  1. monitor and screen resolution in fedora 6

    I am unable to do much with my resolution, and nothing with my choice
    of monitor. Regardless of whether I run from desktop or via system-
    config-dispaly or setup, I cannot choose a monitor. Screen says "auto
    configured" and lists a Generic crt as the defalut. The only other
    option is a "Generic LCD". This cannot be changed, and the OK is
    greyed out.

    There are only two options for resolution - 800x600 and 640x480. I am
    allowed to pick one or the other.

    THese problems may be due to the low-end graphics card, a Savage4 with
    a whole 8 Mb of memory. On the other hand, I was able to run
    1024x768 on the same system, but running an old version of Caldera
    Linux.

    I have searched and found a couple of suggestions, but these have not
    helped. Anyh ideas?

    Dave

  2. Re: monitor and screen resolution in fedora 6

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:09:34 -0700, dave64 wrote:

    > I am unable to do much with my resolution, and nothing with my choice of
    > monitor. Regardless of whether I run from desktop or via system-
    > config-dispaly or setup, I cannot choose a monitor. Screen says "auto
    > configured" and lists a Generic crt as the defalut. The only other
    > option is a "Generic LCD". This cannot be changed, and the OK is greyed
    > out.
    >
    > There are only two options for resolution - 800x600 and 640x480. I am
    > allowed to pick one or the other.
    >
    > THese problems may be due to the low-end graphics card, a Savage4 with a
    > whole 8 Mb of memory. On the other hand, I was able to run 1024x768 on
    > the same system, but running an old version of Caldera Linux.
    >
    > I have searched and found a couple of suggestions, but these have not
    > helped. Anyh ideas?
    >
    > Dave

    man xorg.conf

    Stef