    Is Samhain or Aide overkill for my purpose?
    or do I write my own program?

  2. Re: last known good configuration

    On 2007-10-24, wong_powah@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > Is there a way to setup a last known good configuration for some
    > configuration files?
    > e.g. /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    > I want to save some configuration files in case the computer go wrong
    > and I can restore a good configuration file.
    > Is Samhain or Aide overkill for my purpose?
    > or do I write my own program?

    What I do is use emacs editor on such files (I mostly use emacs
    anyway). When i use emacs to change a_file, it copies it to a_file~
    first.

    When I am done, I rename the a_file~ to a_file.dist, or a_file.good, or
    whatever seems to make most sense.

    I do not modify those things very much.

    ^^-^^ 16:25:01 up 1 day, 8:43, 5 users, load average: 5.31, 5.59, 5.38

  3. Re: last known good configuration

    Jean-David Beyer ha scritto:

    > What I do is use emacs editor on such files (I mostly use emacs
    > anyway). When i use emacs to change a_file, it copies it to a_file~
    > first.
    >
    > When I am done, I rename the a_file~ to a_file.dist, or a_file.good, or
    > whatever seems to make most sense.

    Same for gedit.

    G.

+ Reply to Thread