Dual Boot Freespire and Windows XP - Setup

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Freespire and Windows XP - Setup ; Hi, I've been wanting to try Linux for a while and have installed Freespire onto a new hard drive, leaving my Windows XP installation on the original. Is there an easy way for me to setup a dual boot so ...

  1. Dual Boot Freespire and Windows XP

    Hi,

    I've been wanting to try Linux for a while and have installed
    Freespire onto a new hard drive, leaving my Windows XP installation on
    the original. Is there an easy way for me to setup a dual boot so I
    can select which one to use at startup?

  2. Re: Dual Boot Freespire and Windows XP

    in 447598 20071020 102636 brennfalcon wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been wanting to try Linux for a while and have installed
    >Freespire onto a new hard drive, leaving my Windows XP installation on
    >the original. Is there an easy way for me to setup a dual boot so I
    >can select which one to use at startup?

    Get Air-boot from Hobbes :

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...ootv105_en.zip

    Create the diskette on MS-DOS or OS/2

  3. Re: Dual Boot Freespire and Windows XP

    On 20 Oct, 10:52, Bob Martin wrote:
    > in 447598 20071020 102636 brennfalcon wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,

    > >I've been wanting to try Linux for a while and have installed
    > >Freespire onto a new hard drive, leaving my Windows XP installation on
    > >the original. Is there an easy way for me to setup a dual boot so I
    > >can select which one to use at startup?

    > Get Air-boot from Hobbes :
    >
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...ootv105_en.zip
    >
    > Create the diskette on MS-DOS or OS/2

    Thanks Bob,

    I've loaded Air Boot but on startup the system still tries (and fails)
    to boot Freespire unless I select the 1st hard drive with Windows on
    it, in which case Air Boot is loaded. Do I need to change jumpers on
    the drives or something or is there some other thing I need to do to
    get Air Boot to load immediately. As Freespie and WinXP are on two
    separate hard drives I suppose they have to MBRs - would this be
    causing the problem?

    When I installed Freespire I disconnected the WinXP Hard Drive and it
    booted fine.

    I'd be grateful for any other assistance you or anyone else might be
    able to offer.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread