Which distribution to install? - Setup

This is a discussion on Which distribution to install? - Setup ; Folks, We just purchased a dual Intel quad core system. I am considering Fedora Core or Ubuntu distribution. We plan to run VMware server, and also do Java development on this system. We have several versions of Red Hat linux ...

  1. Which distribution to install?

    Folks,

    We just purchased a dual Intel quad core system.
    I am considering Fedora Core or Ubuntu distribution.

    We plan to run VMware server, and also do Java development on this
    system.

    We have several versions of Red Hat linux running in out company, but I
    keep hearing good things about Ubuntu also.

    I use kubuntu at home and like it.

    Which one would you recommend?

    If fedora then should I go with FC 6 or FC 7?
    If Ubuntu then which version?

    Where do I get 64-bit version of the above distributions?

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

  2. Re: Which distribution to install?

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:53:17 +0000, Hemant Shah wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > We just purchased a dual Intel quad core system.
    > I am considering Fedora Core or Ubuntu distribution.

    There is no Fedora Core anymore - it is simply Fedora.

    > We plan to run VMware server, and also do Java development on this
    > system.
    >
    > We have several versions of Red Hat linux running in out company, but I
    > keep hearing good things about Ubuntu also.
    >
    > I use kubuntu at home and like it.
    >
    > Which one would you recommend?
    >
    > If fedora then should I go with FC 6 or FC 7?

    Again, there is no FC 7 - it is Fedora 7.

    > If Ubuntu then which version?

    I would not jump on Ubuntu 7.10 yet - it has just been released. Wait at
    least a few weeks to see how it shakes out. Otherwise, 7.04 seems quite
    solid.

    > Where do I get 64-bit version of the above distributions?

    Pretty much the same place you would get the 32 bit versions.

    > Thanks.

    Since you already have corporate experience with RedHat - you might
    consider going with Fedora or with the commercial RedHat Enterprise Linux
    - I think in your situation the later would be my choice.

  3. Re: Which distribution to install?

    Hemant Shah wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > We just purchased a dual Intel quad core system.
    > I am considering Fedora Core or Ubuntu distribution.
    >
    > We plan to run VMware server, and also do Java development on this
    > system.
    >
    > We have several versions of Red Hat linux running in out company, but I
    > keep hearing good things about Ubuntu also.

    For a company server, I would go with an enterprise distribution. The only
    one I have experience with is Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I ran version 3 for
    about 3 years and am running version 5 now. SuSE made an enterprise
    distribution also, but I have not ever used it and do not keep track of it.

    The advantage of an enterprise distro is that they do not change it (except
    for security fixes and bugs); they do not add features. So your applications
    will continue to work. No worries about libraries changing in incompatible
    ways, etc. They tend to be supported much longer. IIRC, Red Hat supports
    their products 7 years now.

    > I use kubuntu at home and like it.

    If it is anything like Fedora, it should be just fine at home. It would
    contain the latest and greatest stuff -- cutting edge. But for work, you
    might get cut if an application depended on a previous setup and it were not
    open source.

    > Which one would you recommend?
    >
    > If fedora then should I go with FC 6 or FC 7?
    > If Ubuntu then which version?
    >
    > Where do I get 64-bit version of the above distributions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    ^^-^^ 13:45:01 up 12 days, 21:21, 5 users, load average: 5.58, 5.45, 5.44

  4. Re: Which distribution to install?

    While stranded on information super highway ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:53:17 +0000, Hemant Shah wrote:
    >

    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> We just purchased a dual Intel quad core system.
    >> I am considering Fedora Core or Ubuntu distribution.

    > There is no Fedora Core anymore - it is simply Fedora.
    >

    >> We plan to run VMware server, and also do Java development on this
    >> system.
    >>
    >> We have several versions of Red Hat linux running in out company, but I
    >> keep hearing good things about Ubuntu also.
    >>
    >> I use kubuntu at home and like it.
    >>
    >> Which one would you recommend?
    >>
    >> If fedora then should I go with FC 6 or FC 7?

    > Again, there is no FC 7 - it is Fedora 7.
    >
    >> If Ubuntu then which version?

    > I would not jump on Ubuntu 7.10 yet - it has just been released. Wait at
    > least a few weeks to see how it shakes out. Otherwise, 7.04 seems quite
    > solid.
    >

    >> Where do I get 64-bit version of the above distributions?

    > Pretty much the same place you would get the 32 bit versions.

    I looked at Ubuntu web site, they have iso image for amd64 only, will it
    work on Intel XEON E5345 Quad Core?

    >> Thanks.

    > Since you already have corporate experience with RedHat - you might
    > consider going with Fedora or with the commercial RedHat Enterprise Linux
    > - I think in your situation the later would be my choice.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

  5. Re: Which distribution to install?

    ray did eloquently scribble:
    > I would not jump on Ubuntu 7.10 yet - it has just been released. Wait at
    > least a few weeks to see how it shakes out. Otherwise, 7.04 seems quite
    > solid.

    >> Where do I get 64-bit version of the above distributions?

    > Pretty much the same place you would get the 32 bit versions.

    Indeed. most of them autodetect what your cpu is and offer an install menu
    appropriately, so you can choose. They don't tend to do 64 bit only anymore
    cos they've got the 64/32 bit installation sorted.

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |