How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda? - Setup ; Hello everyone, I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by ...

  1. How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    Hello everyone,

    I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    using_dma = 0 (off)

    How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    Have a good day!

    Regards,

    Joffre

  2. Re: How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    tech11 did eloquently scribble:
    > Hello everyone,

    > I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    > ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    > recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    > Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    > using_dma = 0 (off)

    That means the chipset isn't fully compatible with the driver.

    > How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    > /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    Check your bios, it should be /dev/sd* for sata, but some motherboards have
    a compatibility mode that mimics ide (and thus, /dev/hd*).
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > tech11 did eloquently scribble:
    >> Hello everyone,

    >> I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    >> ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    >> recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    >> Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    >> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    >> using_dma = 0 (off)

    > That means the chipset isn't fully compatible with the driver.
    >
    >> How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    >> /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    > Check your bios, it should be /dev/sd* for sata, but some motherboards have
    > a compatibility mode that mimics ide (and thus, /dev/hd*).

    Could well be that what is being used is the ide-generic module
    which means no DMA (only PIO mode). Again, usually happens when
    there is no other drive that works.

    It can be a chicken and egg thing though. Install will be slow, but
    will work through PIO mode and then beyond that, you can install
    modules that might handle the SATA chipset used, AND doctor up
    some entries in grub, fstab, etc. and see if things will work.

    Also... are you setting pci=nommconf on your kernel line? I'm
    pretty sure it's needed on that machine.

+ Reply to Thread