Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu - Setup ; I hope this helps some newbie out there: Believe it or not, neither Ubuntu nor Xubuntu come with a firewall pre- enabled. Ubuntu has a built-in firewall system called IPtables (netfilter) that is enabled by default. At installation all ports ...

  1. Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu

    I hope this helps some newbie out there:

    Believe it or not, neither Ubuntu nor Xubuntu come with a firewall pre-
    enabled.

    Ubuntu has a built-in firewall system called IPtables (netfilter) that
    is enabled by default.
    At installation all ports are open and there is effectively no
    filtering/protection.
    To close the ports and leave only the ones you want open, you must
    either manually edit the iptables or use a GUI (that usually depends
    upon GNOME).

    If you are using Xubuntu and don't want or don't have the time to
    learn about iptables, the only option left is to install Firestarter.

    Firestarter needs to have enabled the "universe" repository in the /
    etc/apt/sources.list file or in Synaptic Package Manager under
    Applications ->System, otherwise the package won't appear in the list.

    To enable the "universe" repository in the Synaptic Package Manager go
    to Settings -> Repositories and tick the Community-maintained Open
    Source software.

    Having enabled the repository, the procedure is as follows:

    Fastest way to find the package is to do a Search for "Firestarter":

    Select it and click "Apply":

    http://magikomputer.blogspot.com/200...rewall-in.html

  2. Re: Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu

    In article <1192578438.153327.21410@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:
    >I hope this helps some newbie out there:
    >
    >Believe it or not, neither Ubuntu nor Xubuntu come with a firewall pre-
    >enabled.
    >
    >Ubuntu has a built-in firewall system called IPtables (netfilter) that
    >is enabled by default.
    >At installation all ports are open and there is effectively no
    >filtering/protection.
    >To close the ports and leave only the ones you want open, you must
    >either manually edit the iptables or use a GUI (that usually depends
    >upon GNOME).

    Is there any better firewall than this netfilter stuff?
    Is there anything out there that allows you to graphically
    edit the rules and automatically update filters?

    >If you are using Xubuntu and don't want or don't have the time to
    >learn about iptables, the only option left is to install Firestarter.
    >
    >Firestarter needs to have enabled the "universe" repository in the /
    >etc/apt/sources.list file or in Synaptic Package Manager under
    >Applications ->System, otherwise the package won't appear in the list.
    >
    >To enable the "universe" repository in the Synaptic Package Manager go
    >to Settings -> Repositories and tick the Community-maintained Open
    >Source software.
    >
    >Having enabled the repository, the procedure is as follows:
    >
    >Fastest way to find the package is to do a Search for "Firestarter":
    >
    >Select it and click "Apply":
    >
    >http://magikomputer.blogspot.com/200...irewall-in.htm

    The most powerful tool for usenet you have ever heard of.

    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.1 Hail Democracy Release has been released.

    Important feature additions and various improvements
    and optimizations.

    Web page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    NewsMaestro download page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

  3. Re: Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu

    Almond wrote:
    > In article <1192578438.153327.21410@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I hope this helps some newbie out there:
    >>
    >> Believe it or not, neither Ubuntu nor Xubuntu come with a firewall pre-
    >> enabled.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu has a built-in firewall system called IPtables (netfilter) that
    >> is enabled by default.
    >> At installation all ports are open and there is effectively no
    >> filtering/protection.
    >> To close the ports and leave only the ones you want open, you must
    >> either manually edit the iptables or use a GUI (that usually depends
    >> upon GNOME).

    > Is there any better firewall than this netfilter stuff?
    > Is there anything out there that allows you to graphically
    > edit the rules and automatically update filters?

    IPtables is what is used on 2.6 series of Linux, there are a number of
    graphical front ends for editing IPtable rules, like Firestarter.

    --

    //Aho

  4. Re: Installing the Firestarter Firewall in Xubuntu

    On Oct 17, 2:19 am, alm...@brothers.orgy (Almond) wrote:
    > In article <1192578438.153327.21...@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, Yellow Cat <1001w...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I hope this helps some newbie out there:

    > >Believe it or not, neither Ubuntu nor Xubuntu come with a firewall pre-
    > >enabled.

    > >Ubuntu has a built-in firewall system called IPtables (netfilter) that
    > >is enabled by default.
    > >At installation all ports are open and there is effectively no
    > >filtering/protection.
    > >To close the ports and leave only the ones you want open, you must
    > >either manually edit the iptables or use a GUI (that usually depends
    > >upon GNOME).

    > Is there any better firewall than this netfilter stuff?
    > Is there anything out there that allows you to graphically
    > edit the rules and automatically update filters?

    The only option that there is at the moment to allow you to
    graphically edit IPtables rules on Xubuntu is Firestarter

+ Reply to Thread