Re: Linux preferred. How to deal with pre-installed Vista ... orjust forget about it? - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Linux preferred. How to deal with pre-installed Vista ... orjust forget about it? - Setup ; Rubyxx wrote: > Hmm! Thats a bit like saying I'll throw away my Ford, for nothing, and pick > up a brand new Toyota. Sunk cost or not, what we throw away usually has > value. > > Microsoft may ...

  1. Re: Linux preferred. How to deal with pre-installed Vista ... orjust forget about it?

    Rubyxx wrote:
    > Hmm! Thats a bit like saying I'll throw away my Ford, for nothing, and pick
    > up a brand new Toyota. Sunk cost or not, what we throw away usually has
    > value.
    >
    > Microsoft may not be loved, but Windows Vista may turn out to have a value
    > greater than zero. That may be the actual valuation if he merely replaces
    > the old hard drive with a new one and then installs Fedora Linux.
    >
    > Zero is not a reasonable value in this case, I think.
    >
    > Rubyxx

    Although I got a kick out of the "child abuse" posting, I have to agree
    that Vista is not without value. In fact, you guys have inspired me to
    look into getting an external HD case for my wifes laptop.

    Some people, like myself, are willing to learn to use computers as an
    end in itself. My wife is not one of those. Although she formerly used
    Linux, when we bought a new laptop for her, it came with Vista. Once she
    learned to navigate to what she needed in Vista, (I had left it on so I
    could get a feel for it) she was very definite that it should be left in
    place. She doesn't like it ... but she hates learning new software even
    more than she hates Vista. Her employer, however, has a website that
    referrer checks for the OS and browser (thus helping to perpetuate the
    lock-in) and wants to see Win98 and MSIE or nothing at all.

    So she has been using 98 from an old Dell that is just about dead (no
    display, unpredictable keyboard). But that HD is only a couple years old...

    One note to the guy who rejected VMware / Win host / Linux guest:
    Laptops are notorious for having limited functionality with Linux.
    VMWare provides a way to evaluate how a particular Linux will work on a
    particular piece of hardware. I have no interest in games ... none at
    all ... but before I trash a working install of Windows, I want to be
    certain that I am not giving up anything that I need.

    I agree that there is a security differential between the two ... but I
    have a good AV on the Windows partition and a firewall on my router. I'm
    not invulnerable (even BSD is not invulnerable), but the dangers I face
    are no more than reasonable ones.

    So ... given that the choice I face is to either 1) run Linux in a VM
    while I test it prior to installation on the boot sector or 2) keep XP
    on this machine forever, I think that using a VM makes good sense.

    I am NOT stupid enough to vaporize the XP install before I KNOW how the
    Linux install is going to perform and what sort of price I am paying to
    use it.

    Bill

  2. Re: Linux preferred. How to deal with pre-installed Vista ... or just forget about it?

    BillinDetroit writes:

    >Rubyxx wrote:
    >> Hmm! Thats a bit like saying I'll throw away my Ford, for nothing, and pick
    >> up a brand new Toyota. Sunk cost or not, what we throw away usually has
    >> value.
    >>
    >> Microsoft may not be loved, but Windows Vista may turn out to have a value
    >> greater than zero. That may be the actual valuation if he merely replaces
    >> the old hard drive with a new one and then installs Fedora Linux.
    >>
    >> Zero is not a reasonable value in this case, I think.
    >>
    >> Rubyxx
    >>

    >Although I got a kick out of the "child abuse" posting, I have to agree
    >that Vista is not without value. In fact, you guys have inspired me to
    >look into getting an external HD case for my wifes laptop.

    >Some people, like myself, are willing to learn to use computers as an
    >end in itself. My wife is not one of those. Although she formerly used
    >Linux, when we bought a new laptop for her, it came with Vista. Once she
    >learned to navigate to what she needed in Vista, (I had left it on so I
    >could get a feel for it) she was very definite that it should be left in
    >place. She doesn't like it ... but she hates learning new software even
    >more than she hates Vista. Her employer, however, has a website that
    >referrer checks for the OS and browser (thus helping to perpetuate the
    >lock-in) and wants to see Win98 and MSIE or nothing at all.

    I believe that you can tell Firefox and Konqueror to claim they are any
    browser you desire. Someone else will have to tell you how.

    >So she has been using 98 from an old Dell that is just about dead (no
    >display, unpredictable keyboard). But that HD is only a couple years old...

    >One note to the guy who rejected VMware / Win host / Linux guest:
    >Laptops are notorious for having limited functionality with Linux.
    >VMWare provides a way to evaluate how a particular Linux will work on a
    >particular piece of hardware. I have no interest in games ... none at
    >all ... but before I trash a working install of Windows, I want to be
    >certain that I am not giving up anything that I need.

    >I agree that there is a security differential between the two ... but I
    >have a good AV on the Windows partition and a firewall on my router. I'm
    >not invulnerable (even BSD is not invulnerable), but the dangers I face
    >are no more than reasonable ones.

    You can also use one of the single cd versions of live linux-- EG, I like
    MCNLive based on Mandriva but others have other favourites. It does not
    matter but you can run it all from CD and do not have to install anything.

    >So ... given that the choice I face is to either 1) run Linux in a VM
    >while I test it prior to installation on the boot sector or 2) keep XP
    >on this machine forever, I think that using a VM makes good sense.

    >I am NOT stupid enough to vaporize the XP install before I KNOW how the
    >Linux install is going to perform and what sort of price I am paying to
    >use it.

+ Reply to Thread