GRUB problem with reinstalation - Setup

This is a discussion on GRUB problem with reinstalation - Setup ; Hi, I' ve got both windows and linux installed on my comuter. My problem started when i formated to NTFS , two unformated particions on Windows. When i rebooted system ,GRUB showed error and didn't start at all. Because I ...

  1. GRUB problem with reinstalation

    Hi, I' ve got both windows and linux installed on my comuter. My
    problem started when i formated to NTFS , two unformated particions on
    Windows. When i rebooted system ,GRUB showed error and didn't start at
    all. Because I needed any OS quickly I removed GRUB from MBR. Now I do
    not have access to linux. My question is how to install GRUB again or
    if is any other way to use both linux and windows. Do I have to
    reinstall linux ?
    And I would like to pinpoint that there wasn't any operation (system
    especially) linux on the particions I formated
    I really be gratefull for any help

  2. Re: GRUB problem with reinstalation

    lukash wrote:

    > Hi, I' ve got both windows and linux installed on my comuter. My
    > problem started when i formated to NTFS , two unformated particions on
    > Windows. When i rebooted system ,GRUB showed error and didn't start at
    > all. Because I needed any OS quickly I removed GRUB from MBR. Now I do
    > not have access to linux. My question is how to install GRUB again or
    > if is any other way to use both linux and windows. Do I have to
    > reinstall linux ?
    > And I would like to pinpoint that there wasn't any operation (system
    > especially) linux on the particions I formated
    > I really be gratefull for any help

    Windows has a nasty habit of being too helpful when it encounters a
    partition formatted in a "foreign" tongue: it offers to reformat into
    something more microsoft-like! You may have accidently reformatted
    your linux partition to ntfs and must now reinstall linux. Or maybe not.

    Boot the machine with a live-CD like Knoppix or Puppy or SystemRescueCD
    and look for your linux partition. If it is still there, all you need
    to do is put grub back in the MBR. Start up grub and do this:

    grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst # (or maybe menu.conf)
    (hd0,5) # <- (on my machine)

    # Here, partition 5 has grub directory, so tell grub:

    grub> root (hd0,5) # <- (adjust as needed)
    Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x93

    # now rewrite the bootsector:

    grub> setup (hd0)
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5" exists... yes
    Running "embed /boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 18 sectors are
    embedded.
    succeeded
    Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+18 p
    (hd0,5)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst
    "... succeeded
    Done.

    # Remove the CD and reboot

    grub> reboot