fedora 7: system freezes - Setup

This is a discussion on fedora 7: system freezes - Setup ; I upgraded from fedora 3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I experienced this same problem with ...

  1. fedora 7: system freezes

    I upgraded from fedora 3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat
    hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no
    response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I
    experienced this same problem with FC 3 but not as often. I suspect
    that my motherboard (Intel with Pentium 4 1.7Ghz) may need a bios
    upgrade but I don't know what the model is or how to do that.

    1. Is there some way to determine the motherboard model so I can look
    for any upgrades?
    2. Are there some known issues with FC 7 freeze as I have described?

    mike thatcher

  2. Re: fedora 7: system freezes

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:18 -0700, Mike Thatcher wrote:

    > I upgraded from fedora 3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat
    > hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no
    > response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I
    > experienced this same problem with FC 3 but not as often. I suspect
    > that my motherboard (Intel with Pentium 4 1.7Ghz) may need a bios
    > upgrade but I don't know what the model is or how to do that.

    I had similar intermittent "freezing" problems with my old system when I
    ran Fedora Core 3 and 4. I uninstalled the screensaver and the system
    lockups stopped. I surmised the screensaver was badly written or there
    was some kind of system interrupt conflict.

    > 1. Is there some way to determine the motherboard model so I can look
    > for any upgrades?

    First, just look on the motherboard itself for a model number or serial
    number, etc. Or see if you can find the manual. ;-)

    > 2. Are there some known issues with FC 7 freeze as I have described?

    Can't say for sure. I'm still running FC6 64-bit on my new system that I
    build in January of this year. Waiting for 8 before I upgrade due to
    some problems I've read about with 7. However, there have been few.

    Also, FWIW: The "Core" has been dropped starting with 7. So, now, it's
    just Fedora 7.

    Stef

  3. Re: fedora 7: system freezes

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:18 -0700, Mike Thatcher wrote:

    > I upgraded from fedora 3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat
    > hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no
    > response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I
    > experienced this same problem with FC 3 but not as often. I suspect
    > that my motherboard (Intel with Pentium 4 1.7Ghz) may need a bios
    > upgrade but I don't know what the model is or how to do that.
    >
    > 1. Is there some way to determine the motherboard model so I can look
    > for any upgrades?

    You could open the case directly or use commands:
    lspci
    dmesg
    cat /proc/meminfo
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    etc.

    > 2. Are there some known issues with FC 7 freeze as I have described?

    Comments below.

    > mike thatcher

    Caveat: I am not running FC7

    What video chipset is used by your hardware? I have noticed some issues
    with freezing on systems with Intel's 915 video chipset. To me, this looks
    like a kernel/X deadlock issue. I can't tell which is more likely to be
    at fault. I read the changlogs (post 2.6.21.5) for the kernel, which are
    very long, but no fixes directly address this issue (yet), AFAICT.

    I see that Fedora 7 uses a linux kernel version, 2.6.21.x. It also uses an
    X.org, version, 7.1.x. That is similar to Slackware 12, which is what I am
    using. Yesterday, I compiled X.org 7.3 which included a new hardware
    driver for Intel video chipset. No lockups so far. I will probably be
    compiling 2.6.23 soon.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: fedora 7: system freezes

    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:18 -0700, Mike Thatcher wrote:
    > > I upgraded fromfedora3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat
    > > hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no
    > > response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I
    > > experienced this same problem with FC 3 but not as often. I suspect
    > > that my motherboard (Intel with Pentium 4 1.7Ghz) may need a bios
    > > upgrade but I don't know what the model is or how to do that.

    I think it is a video driver problem. what video card / chipset do you
    have ?

  5. Re: fedora 7: system freezes

    George Saliba wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:18 -0700, Mike Thatcher wrote:
    >>> I upgraded fromfedora3 to core 7. I'm experiencing some intermittnat
    >>> hard system freezes. Display freezes, No keyboard or mouse response, no
    >>> response to ping or ssh. Occurs most often with screen savers. I
    >>> experienced this same problem with FC 3 but not as often. I suspect
    >>> that my motherboard (Intel with Pentium 4 1.7Ghz) may need a bios
    >>> upgrade but I don't know what the model is or how to do that.

    > I think it is a video driver problem. what video card / chipset do you
    > have ?

    ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS

    mike@rohan]# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset
    Host Bridge (rev 04)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset AGP
    Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 05)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller
    (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1
    (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1
    (rev 05)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97
    Audio Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF/PRO
    AGP 4x TMDS
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM
    Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
    02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
    Capture (rev 02)
    02:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
    (rev 02)
    02:0c.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7892A U160/m (rev 02)
    02:0d.0 Communication controller: Ambient Technologies Inc HaM
    controllerless modem (rev 02)

+ Reply to Thread