Memory affinity - Setup

This is a discussion on Memory affinity - Setup ; I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to ...

  1. Memory affinity

    I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a
    processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I
    could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to one processor and 2 to the other
    instead of all 8 being availble to which ever processor needed it. Is this
    true and if so how do I set it?

    Andrew

  2. Re: Memory affinity

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.setup,
    Andrew Madsen didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a
    > processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I
    > could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to one processor and 2 to the other
    > instead of all 8 being availble to which ever processor needed it. Is this
    > true and if so how do I set it?

    Think that's strictly up to the bios.
    Some motherboards might have the option, some not...

    Suppose it's POSSIBLE it might be a kernel option, but I think bios is more
    likely.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  3. Re: Memory affinity

    In article , spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.setup,
    >Andrew Madsen didnst hastily scribble
    > thusly:
    >> I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a
    >> processor.

    Where would you set it?

    --
    Get yourself the most powerful tool for usenet you ever heard of.

    Version 4.0.1 Hail Democracy Release has been released.

    Important feature additions and various improvements
    and optimizations.

    Web page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/
    or
    http://tarkus01.by.ru/

    NewsMaestro download page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

  4. Re: Memory affinity

    Almond did eloquently scribble:
    > In article , spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>Andrew Madsen didnst hastily scribble
    >> thusly:
    >>> I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a
    >>> processor.

    > Where would you set it?

    I said
    It's most likely a bios option
    Some motherboards may have it
    Some may not
    If you can't find it in yours, maybe it doesn't have it.
    Suppose another thing to look for is "NUMA" which stands for
    non-uniform-memory-access. That seems to be a similar thing.

  5. Re: Memory affinity

    Andrew Madsen wrote:
    > I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for a
    > processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I
    > could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to one processor and 2 to the other
    > instead of all 8 being availble to which ever processor needed it. Is this
    > true and if so how do I set it?
    >
    > Andrew

    man numactl

  6. Re: Memory affinity

    "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    > Andrew Madsen wrote:
    >> I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for
    >> processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I
    >> could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to one processor and 2 to the other
    >> instead of all 8 being availble to which ever processor needed it. Is
    >> this
    >> true and if so how do I set it?
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > man numactl

    Great!! Thank you. Heavy reading but it looks like the ticket.

  7. Re: Memory affinity

    Andrew Madsen wrote:
    > "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    >> Andrew Madsen wrote:
    >>> I had an application vendor tell me that I could set memory affinity for
    >>> processor. In other words if I had 8GB of memory in a two processor box I
    >>> could set 4 GB per processor or 6 to one processor and 2 to the other
    >>> instead of all 8 being availble to which ever processor needed it. Is
    >>> this
    >>> true and if so how do I set it?
    >>>
    >>> Andrew
    >>>

    >> man numactl

    > Great!! Thank you. Heavy reading but it looks like the ticket.

    I would be curious if, when you implement this, your machine's throughput
    actually goes up and by how much. Because I am always reminded of the maxim,
    The more you try to outsmart an operating system, the more it outsmarts you.

    ^^-^^ 14:50:01 up 8 days, 22:26, 2 users, load average: 4.47, 4.46, 4.31

  8. Re: Memory affinity

    In article , Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >Andrew Madsen wrote:
    >> "Chris Cox" wrote in message

    >>> man numactl

    >> Great!! Thank you. Heavy reading but it looks like the ticket.
    >>

    >I would be curious if, when you implement this, your machine's throughput
    >actually goes up and by how much. Because I am always reminded of the maxim,
    >The more you try to outsmart an operating system, the more it outsmarts you.

    The whole idea simply sounds like a bad joke.

    --
    Get yourself the most powerful tool for usenet you ever heard of.

    Version 4.0.1 Hail Democracy Release has been released.

    Important feature additions and various improvements
    and optimizations.

    Web page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/
    or
    http://tarkus01.by.ru/

    NewsMaestro download page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

  9. Re: Memory affinity

    "Almond" wrote in message
    > In article , Jean-David Beyer
    > wrote:
    >>Andrew Madsen wrote:
    >>> "Chris Cox" wrote in message

    >>> Great!! Thank you. Heavy reading but it looks like the ticket.
    >>>

    >>I would be curious if, when you implement this, your machine's throughput
    >>actually goes up and by how much. Because I am always reminded of the
    >>maxim,
    >>The more you try to outsmart an operating system, the more it outsmarts
    >>you.

    > The whole idea simply sounds like a bad joke.
    >

    > --

    I wish it were. The vendor claims that there can be throughput improvement
    if you configure the software easier. Here is the scenario:

    This is a grid type computing environment - a group of 18 Linux servers that
    run an analytical software. The user can choose how many processors that a
    given solve will use and the head box farms it out accordingly. Now if you
    have a group of two processor boxes with 8GB of memory each and you want to
    use three of the processors then the application could be told to use
    processor 1 in all of the boxes for this application. therefore the vendor
    feels that you should take the majority of the memory and give it to
    processor 1 and leave the rest to just run the box. It gets more of a
    balancing act when you have more than two processors but all of the boxes in
    the cluster are two processor blades.

+ Reply to Thread