Distro with NFS Root Clients - Setup

This is a discussion on Distro with NFS Root Clients - Setup ; Do any of the distros have infrastructure for deploying and managing a moderate number (~100) of NFS Root Clients. This would be for clients running full desktop distributions that use their local disks just for swap and cache....

  1. Distro with NFS Root Clients

    Do any of the distros have infrastructure for deploying and managing a
    moderate number (~100) of NFS Root Clients. This would be for clients
    running full desktop distributions that use their local disks just for
    swap and cache.

  2. Re: Distro with NFS Root Clients

    These Debian packages might be of interest:

    nfsboot - Allow clients to boot over the network
    toncho/~ 0 apt-cache show nfsboot
    Package: nfsboot
    Section: admin
    Installed-Size: 32
    Maintainer: Ola Lundqvist
    Architecture: all
    Version: 0.0.14
    Recommends: dhcp, nfs-kernel-server | nfs-user-server, atftpd | tftpd-hpa | tftpd, bind9
    Suggests: grub, nis, dhcp-dns
    Filename: pool/main/n/nfsboot/nfsboot_0.0.14_all.deb
    Size: 10086
    MD5sum: 3729a172809ea1e80d98edb27882d779
    SHA1: 8ff7573ca9c85a9888532c4356af64309a6a94f4
    SHA256: d3028183adc03ea66d2dae8dc082287d4b762b44c4d293e95b 9fcb24e3c23a48
    This package help you to set up your host to allow clients to
    boot over nfs.

  3. Re: Distro with NFS Root Clients

    On 11 Aug, 23:07, "k...@mathcs.emory.edu"
    wrote:
    > Do any of the distros have infrastructure for deploying and managing a
    > moderate number (~100) of NFS Root Clients. This would be for clients
    > running full desktop distributions that use their local disks just for
    > swap and cache.

    100 is not "a moderate number", it's quite a lot to be sharing from a
    single NFS repository. I believe this is built into current RHEL
    distributions. But if you're not married to the use of NFS for root,
    why not use a small / partition, scrubbed and replaced via kickstart
    nightly, and keep /home or most of /var on local disk?

    NFSroot tends to be fine for renderfarms or Beowulf clusters, but it's
    certainly problematic for development environments. Why do you need it?

  4. Re: Distro with NFS Root Clients

    km@mathcs.emory.edu wrote:

    > Do any of the distros have infrastructure for deploying and managing a
    > moderate number (~100) of NFS Root Clients. This would be for clients
    > running full desktop distributions that use their local disks just for
    > swap and cache.

    RHEL, CentOS or Fedora
    See:
    http://people.redhat.com/dmalcolm/st...inux-HOWTO-en/